Disney Visa Cardholder -- Earlier Hotel Discount Question

Lalalyn

Mouseketeer
I'm considering getting a Disney Visa. It seems cardholders get to book the hotel discounts a week before the general public. However, we are traveling with my parents who have booked their own room.

Does anyone know if I could get a discount on a room-only offer for cardholders for both my room and my parents room . . . or if they will only let me get the discount for my room. Is it a code I can use on both rooms?

I'm worried I'd get a discount on our room or want to switch (upgrade) resorts and then couldn't get the same deal for my parents. We are currently booked at the Wilderness Lodge.

You should be able to use the DV discount on up to three rooms. You'll need to do a deposit using your DV on each reservation if that's still a requirement for adding the discount.

I'm considering getting a Disney Visa. It seems cardholders get to book the hotel discounts a week before the general public.

I don't know how much this will affect your decision process, but they don't always release the discounts to Disney Visa cardholders early. It's been pretty common, especially when they release a really popular discount like free dining, but they've also released discounts without any Disney Visa exclusive period. Also, the exclusive period has never been a week. 3-5 days is typical.

To give you some idea, so far in 2014 3 general public discounts have not had a Disney Visa exclusive period, and 6 have. In a couple cases, there were two discount offers for the same period, so if you count offer periods, it's 3 with no exclusive, 4 with an exclusive.

Don

It used to be a big advantage if you wanted to stay a particular resort during FD (like POFQ), that resort is small and popular and sells out fast. This year for the Fall FD POFQ (and POR) were not even included in the GP FD offer so did not matter if you had the card.

If you are planning on staying at a large resort that rarely sells out quickly, having the DVisa advance booking window may not even be needed. I have the DVisa and my family wants to stay at POP next trip.Probably won't need that DVisa advance booking.

If you can find a good sign up bonus (I got a $200 one) it's free money and the 1% rewards add up over time.

is the Disney Visa card worth getting?

Well, I currently have almost $1,300 built up in Disney Rewards and I think the first $1 doesn't expire until 2016 or 17. Prior to this I think I've used close to $2,500 on other trips, so yes, for me, definitely worth it.

Almost every credit card nowadays has some kind of loyalty points attached to it, Disney Visa is no different. All depends on what it is you want from your card. For me its worth it, even paying the extra $49 annual fee, which I inherently hate, but I more than make up for that with the add'l benefits.

Our last trip I was able to use some of the $$ to pay for our airfare. The extra perks associated with the card are somewhat minimal, for me its all about earning the Disney $$.

It used to be a big advantage if you wanted to stay a particular resort during FD (like POFQ), that resort is small and popular and sells out fast. This year for the Fall FD POFQ (and POR) were not even included in the GP FD offer so did not matter if you had the card.

If you are planning on staying at a large resort that rarely sells out quickly, having the DVisa advance booking window may not even be needed. I have the DVisa and my family wants to stay at POP next trip.Probably won't need that DVisa advance booking.

If you can find a good sign up bonus (I got a $200 one) it's free money and the 1% rewards add up over time.

I already have a Disney Rewards card, but paid my vacation in full without using it(didn't have the card at the time and paid it initially with a Southwest Card to get the points but immediately paid it off from our savings). So it's going to make it really complicated to get the early discount for being a Disney Rewards Member(balance transfers from Southwest to Disney Rewards and then refunds to the Southwest).

All of that being said, because we're staying in All Star Movies do you think it's unlikely that whatever deal they offer doesn't sell out very quickly and we can just wait until the general discount in order to keep it as simple as possible?

All of that being said, because we're staying in All Star Movies do you think it's unlikely that whatever deal they offer doesn't sell out very quickly and we can just wait until the general discount in order to keep it as simple as possible?

no way to know what the details will be for discounts. All Star Movies has been excluded from FD the last few offers (this year and last) so would not matter in that case if you have the card

no way to know what the details will be for discounts. All Star Movies has been excluded from FD the last few offers (this year and last) so would not matter in that case if you have the card

I wasn't thinking Free Dining, but possibly Play, Stay & Dine or a room discount. Were the All Stars excluded from those as well?

Oh, and oops...need to make a correction. We're staying at All Star Music, don't know if that makes any difference.

Sports and Music are usually available for discounts.

Is it usually pretty easy to get the discount in Music? Or do the discount rooms book up quickly? Just trying to see if it's worth going through all the crazy hassle using the Disney Rewards window because of our paid in full on anothe card issue. Or if we should be safe to just wait for the general public discount window.

Is it usually pretty easy to get the discount in Music? Or do the discount rooms book up quickly? Just trying to see if it's worth going through all the crazy hassle using the Disney Rewards window because of our paid in full on anothe card issue. Or if we should be safe to just wait for the general public discount window.

I don't see why it's complicated? If you do it right away you'll have roughly 2 or more months for the refund to be applied.

There's no way if knowing the ease, because we don't know how many rooms they'll make available. Judging from this year, they get less and less and the difficulty has increased.

Do I need to make the initial deposit with the DV or can I make a payment after the deposit to qualify for a cardholder discount? TIA!

Worth is subjective. I have the Disney debit through Chase, which is a no brainer for me. It's exactly like my old debit card except I get the perks of the credit card minus the rewards points.

Do I need to make the initial deposit with the DV or can I make a payment after the deposit to qualify for a cardholder discount? TIA!

You can make a subsequent payment, but it's typical $200 just like to deposit.

How do you find out the discounts? Do they email them to you or do you just keep looking on the website? I have the disney visa chase card. Thanks!

You may receive an email, but it will be posted somewhere on this board. As soon as a Diser sees a discount, it will be posted here quickly. In the past, DV discounts were released on Thursday with GP on Monday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter