Disney Vacation Club Phased Reopening Announcement & Member Services Interpretation

SpaceMountain77

Kidani Villager Victorian Gentleman Turtle Trekker
Hi Everyone,

Today, I am writing to share my experience last night with Member Services. Like other members, I received the phased reopening announcement on Wednesday, May 27th at 3:15 PM. The paragraph that most applies to me is copied below:

Finally, as part of our continued efforts to provide flexibility during these uncertain times, we are further changing and extending our temporary policies regarding expiring points. April, June and now August, September and October 2019 Use Year points that are set to expire in 2020 and that were used for reservations during the closure period will be extended for one year from the current expiration date. Additionally, April, June and now August, September and October 2018 Use Year points that were banked into 2019 Use Years and used for these reservations will now all expire November 30, 2020. This temporary policy only includes expiring points that were used to book a stay arriving between March 12 and the end of the closure period and that involve a reservation cancelled after February 29. Additional information on these policies is available at disneyvacationclub.com.

After receiving the email, I tried to contact Member Services. Because of the high call volume, I had to call 35 times, over the past three days, before getting through on Friday, May 29th at 5:42 PM. Earlier Friday morning, I was able to get through at 9:00 AM, but the call was eventually disconnected after 7 minutes of Disney music. Although the wait time was estimated to be 65 minutes, I remained on the call.

For context, I had a May 1st - 10th Standard Studio reservation, at the Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa, that was made at the 11-month booking window using 54 banked vacation points from my September 2018 Use Year. Because of COVID-19, and the closure of Walt Disney World, the reservation was cancelled. The Member Services representative with whom I spoke returned the borrowed points and suggested that I deposit the 54 banked vacation points with RCI. In my eight years of membership, I have used my points exclusively at Disney Vacation Club properties. Because of my lack of familiarity with RCI, including participating resorts, point requirements, and availability, I declined depositing the 54 points and, instead, booked a Vero Beach Standard Inn Room reservation for August 3rd - August 8th, using the 54 banked vacation points and 23 borrowed points from my September 2020 Use Year. At the time, I booked this reservation based on the Important Reservation Cancelation Updates email, that had been sent by Disney Vacation Club on Tuesday, March 17th at 12:47 PM, and because I did not want to lose my banked points, which expire August 31, 2020, or deposit them with RCI. Bloomburg and Forbes had been reporting a significant closure, possibily through the end of the year, so, at the time, a Vero Beach reservation seemed like a reasonable placeholder and possibility.

I called Member Services because, based on my reading of the Wednesday, May 27th email, believed my 2018 September Use Year points would expire November 30, 2020. The first Member Services representative with whom I spoke said that I did not have an impacted reservation affected by the closure and my points were not eligible for the November 30, 2020 expiry. Although I described how the points were initially used, several times, she asked me if I was asking her to violate policy. Although my point history, accessible through the Disney Vacation Club website, shows a 10-day May reservation, cancelled because of the closure, the use of the banked points results in ineligibility. To be eligible, based on our conversation, the points should have either remained in my Disney Vacation Club account or been deposited with RCI. From the first email, on March 17th, through yesterday's communication, there was no reasonable way of knowing that the two aforementioned actions would be necessary to receive the recently announced extension. Also, our conversation seemed to suggest policies in the May 27th email that were not mentioned or highlighted with an asterisk or numeric superscript. I asked to speak with a Manager and was told it would be an 80 minute wait. I decided to wait.

The second Member Services representative with whom I spoke reiterated the words of the previous representative after I first communicated what I had said previously. I became increasingly frustrated on the call because an increasing number of nuances to the May 27th email were being described, which were not communicated to Disney Vacation Club members. Moverover, at this point, the call had exceeded two hours. I was prepared to email Terri Schultz because I had found her email address online and wanted direct clarification and details on all of the policy stipulations and, specifically, the exceptions to the May 27th email that had not been communicated.

During this call, the Manager reiterated that I needed an impacted reservation several times. Because of her emphasis on this wording, I modified my Vero Beach reservation to a Bay Lake Tower Studio Lake reservation for June 7th - June 11th. The online system allowed me to modify the reservation, I received a confirmation number, and it appeared in my dashboard. I told the Manager that I was able to modify my reservation and now had an impacted reservation. She asked me to hold. After about 15 minutes, she returned to the line and said that the reservation was ineligible because the policy stated that reservations had to be affected prior to the time of the May 27th email. The call ended after 2 hours and 47 minutes. I still do not understand all of the exceptions and nuances to the May 27th email.

Please know that I appreciate the unprecedented affect of the COVID-19 pandemic on our society. However, the communications from Disney Vacation Club could have been better. Moreover, regarding clarity, if there are policy exceptions and modifications, they should be communicated, in writing, to members. For those who were eligible for an extension, for example, when are points available for use and can they be applied to an existing reservation made less than 7-months out? If members are posting honestly, then, it seems, experiences are varied.

Last edited:
She asked me to hold. After about 15 minutes, she returned to the line and said that the reservation was ineligible because the policy stated that reservations had to be affected prior to the time of the May 27th email.

I had the exact opposite told to me or the rep was being untruthful. I made a quick reservation at Hilton Head June 9-13 knowing they were closed. The DVC rep cancelled it for me and said all the points would go to my 2020 use year. I still had 20 points outstanding. The rep intentionally booked a night at the BCV on June 6. She told me it would be cancelled soon and I would get those points back in 2020 also. I have a August use year and I was told they should transfer over to 2020 sometime in the first week of August.

So far, we have had no reports of people being able to use extended 2018 points, Since late April, the initial UYs were told not until June 5th when calling.

Since last week, it seems the latest policy not only restricts them to be used by calling in, but also that they can not be reallocated into a reservation previously booked, once they do become available for booking.

I agree with you that if points came from original canceled reservations due to a closure, they should be given the extension.

As you said, they didn’t shut down new reservations for obviously closed periods. But, the problem I see now is that there may now be inconsistent application as noted above in that a CM did qualify points for a reservation booked after the announcement during closure, and your manager did not.

ETA: it seems the above OP had borrowed points, not banked...that could explain different experience

I sent an email yesterday..even though I have no 2018 points at stake, to say I think it’s unfair to members to at least not publish the rules regarding the points.

I think the have the right to restrict them to new, and not make them eligible until the expire, but that policy should be clear without a member having to wait an hour on the phone,

But, if i were you, I would certainly email them to say having an effected reservation and rebooking when the policy was no extension should not exclude you, even if those points won’t be there for you to use for a new reservation until Sept 1st.

I had the exact opposite told to me or the rep was being untruthful. I made a quick reservation at Hilton Head June 9-13 knowing they were closed. The DVC rep cancelled it for me and said all the points would go to my 2020 use year. I still had 20 points outstanding. The rep intentionally booked a night at the BCV on June 6. She told me it would be cancelled soon and I would get those points back in 2020 also. I have a August use year and I was told they should transfer over to 2020 sometime in the first week of August.

It sounds like your points were actually borrowed points? The rules for those points are much different than for 2018 banked and points from 2019 that were beyond banking window,

They have been consistent in allowing borrowed points to be returned for all cancellations, including during times when we know resorts will be open.

Can you verify the type of points? Thanks

It sounds like your points were actually borrowed points? The rules for those points are much different than for 2018 banked and points from 2019 that were beyond banking window,

They have been consistent in allowing borrowed points to be returned for all cancellations, including during times when we know resorts will be open.

Can you verify the type of points? Thanks
I had some borrowed from 2020 and some that were from cancelled 2019 use year points. I also had 2018 banked points that I have to use prior to Nov. I think I'll end up with 126 borrowed points back from 2020 and 64 being extended into 2020 from 2019 cancellations. I confirmed 3 times with the DVC rep that all 190 points will be forwarded to 2020. I even made her say it out loud.

I had some borrowed from 2020 and some that were from cancelled 2019 use year points. I also had 2018 banked points that I have to use prior to Nov. I think I'll end up with 126 borrowed points back from 2020 and 64 being extended into 2020 from 2019 cancellations. I confirmed 3 times with the DVC rep that all 190 points will be forwarded to 2020. I even made her say it out loud.

Well, we do know that the 2018 points will not show up online as that has been consistent but sounds like you are being told they will be extended,

Keep us posted as to what actually happens and if they do allow your 2019 to be banked late because you moved them after the announcement.

So far, we have had no reports of people being able to use extended 2018 points, Since late April, the initial UYs were told not until June 5th when calling.

Since last week, it seems the latest policy not only restricts them to be used by calling in, but also that they can not be reallocated into a reservation previously booked, once they do become available for booking.

I agree with you that if points came from original canceled reservations due to a closure, they should be given the extension.

As you said, they didn’t shut down new reservations for obviously closed periods. But, the problem I see now is that there may now be inconsistent application as noted above in that a CM did qualify points for a reservation booked after the announcement during closure, and your manager did not.

ETA: it seems the above OP had borrowed points, not banked...that could explain different experience

I sent an email yesterday..even though I have no 2018 points at stake, to say I think it’s unfair to members to at least not publish the rules regarding the points.

I think the have the right to restrict them to new, and not make them eligible until the expire, but that policy should be clear without a member having to wait an hour on the phone,

But, if i were you, I would certainly email them to say having an effected reservation and rebooking when the policy was no extension should not exclude you, even if those points won’t be there for you to use for a new reservation until Sept 1st.

@Sandisw , I am most disappointed with the communication.

The initial email, or a subsequent email to affected Use Year members, should have detailed point policies. We should not have to call for clarification.

Also, when you call with questions and experience long holds after each question, it gives the impression that policies are being made or interpreted in the moment.

@SpaceMountain77 ....that is exactly why I emailed them yesterday even though I have no skin in this game,

I have been a pretty strong supporter of the way they had done things up to this time, because I don’t think they really could have said much until they had confirmed dates and info from WDW to share with members,

But, in this instance, they absolutely dropped the ball in not putting out the details of those points in the FAQs in the member website, especially for people with Aug, Sept and Oct UY. Spending an hour only to find out you wont have access until the UY begins is not necessary. Post it and then if a member wants to stay on hold to complain, then it’s a choice.

Good luck and keep us posted if you get any other news.

Well, we do know that the 2018 points will not show up online as that has been consistent but sounds like you are being told they will be extended,

Keep us posted as to what actually happens and if they do allow your 2019 to be banked late because you moved them after the announcement.
I had those 20 points open and told the DVC rep what I was going to do. It seemed like she was caught off guard with my suggestion. We actually got disconnected, but she called me back 5 minutes later (yes I was surprised) and told me she made a reservation during the cancelled period so I would get those points back. This was Thursday. They may have closed that loophole now?

I had those 20 points open and told the DVC rep what I was going to do. It seemed like she was caught off guard with my suggestion. We actually got disconnected, but she called me back 5 minutes later (yes I was surprised) and told me she made a reservation during the cancelled period so I would get those points back. This was Thursday. They may have closed that loophole now?

Very possible they did or it will be flagged and you will get a call and be told it didn’t count and the CM made a mistake.

Unfortunately, CMs do sometimes give out wrong info. I think when these points begin to become available we will have concrete answers!

If my 54 points were extended, I am not sure how I would use them between September 1st and November 30th. I have an existing September reservation and I would be afraid to cancel and rebook with the banked points because a waitlist match or booking by another member when the reservation is released could result in losing the reservation altogether and having the points go into holding.

Our cruise was rescheduled for November, so, at best, we could potentially do a 2- or 3-night pre-cruise stay. However, the likelihood of securing a reservation less than 3-months out seems slim.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter