• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Trip Insurance???

d1sneyf4n

DIS Veteran
I am not really sure if this belongs here and sorry if it doesn't but I have a question about the trip insurance that Disney gives you when you book a trip through them. Do you take their trip insurance if so why and if you decline it, why do you decline it. I am going to book a trip for Dec and I am not sure if I should get the insurance or not. TIA
(I did put this on the Budget Board but I did not get any kind of response.)

We purchased the trip insurance. It was a low-cost item for peace of mind. It provided more complete and comprehensive coverage than what the Disney cancellation policy is. We *almost* had to use the insurance, since my husband lost his job prior to our trip. (That's one of the things you can cancel for). We would have been entitled to the entire trip cost back (including non-refundable airfare), minus the cost of the insurance, and possibly a small cancellation fee through Disney. If you call Disney, they can give you the number for the trip insurance, and a LIVE PERSON at the insurance place will answer your questions!

We purchased the trip insurance. It was a low-cost item for peace of mind. It provided more complete and comprehensive coverage than what the Disney cancellation policy is. We *almost* had to use the insurance, since my husband lost his job prior to our trip. (That's one of the things you can cancel for). We would have been entitled to the entire trip cost back (including non-refundable airfare), minus the cost of the insurance, and possibly a small cancellation fee through Disney. If you call Disney, they can give you the number for the trip insurance, and a LIVE PERSON at the insurance place will answer your questions!

Thanks for all that info......much appreciated. Sorry to hear that your husband lost his job...........hope he found a new one!:)

I use insuremytrip.com to review different options for trip insurance. Our last two trips we've used travelex because the kids are free, so it comes out the cheapest. It really doesn't cover all that much, sickness, accident, etc, but it also covers plane fares in addition to lodging and has all kinds of other coverages, medical, lost/delayed baggage, etc. I've never actually filed a claim but I've been buying it recently to cover the cost of airfare, airlines are no longer giving credits/accommodating rescheduling when cancellations are necessary. Also because we've stayed off site at condo with strict cancellation policies so I feel insurance is needed more than if we were staying at a WDW resort.

So I haven't used the WDW trip insurance, but then again, I normally book room only so 1) the cancellation policy is very generous (48 hours I think and then it is still only the cost of the first night) and 2) I've heard WDW is very accommodating about rescheduling in the event of an emergency. In fact, even if you had a package, they'd be very accommodating about letting you reschedule in the event of an emergency.

Random thoughts, hope that helps somewhat.

We always take the insurance. You just never know. We had to use it once - I was unable to travel and received all but the money for the insurance back.

Tropical Storm Faye arrived on our departure date in 2008. While, amazingly, she didn't change any of our plans, she most definitely could have. And everything would have been covered.

Last year, my son bit into a Mickey bar and pulled the wire out of his new braces. Once again, we didn't need the insurance, but an emergency trip to the Orthodontist would have been covered.

I think it's a good deal.

I booked my trip this past Thursday and thought about not taking the insurance but the dates of our trip are within hurricane season and it would be my luck that a hurricane would slam Florida the week I opted to take my uninsured trip...so I bought the insurance as a just in case...it wasn't that expensive for that peace of mind!

WE bought the insurance. But I waited until I was ready to pay in full on my package to add it on. I did that on 46 days out.

Reasons we opted in:
1. Traveling in December from a cold climate and flying. We had $1400 invested in airfare.
2. H1N1 was all over the place, yet vaccines weren't available. We don't know IF we had it. It was "presumed", but not tested.
3. My MIL's health is not good. In fact she spent 14 days in the hospital in December. She was discharged while we were on our trip. If she had taken a bad turn, our trip would have been interrupted.
4. We have 5 kids. They were covered under our adult premiums.
5. In 2000, DH and I got stuck in ATL leaving WDW due to an ice storm. We got lucky and were put up in a very nice hotel. But that stuff doesn't happen anymore and we were traveling with 5 kids this time. We needed options.

I waited until the last minute jsut to be sure. I was more concerned about trip interruption than cancellation. The cancellation fee really isn't all that bad and we were flying SWA, so we could apply those funds to future travel.

As it turned out, I had booked our trip to leave WDW on Sunday because at the time it would cost us $350 in airfare more to leave on Saturday. But an extra day at WDW with FREE dining was only $300 more. Oh, and the HUGE storm hit that Friday and Saturday. But by Sunday evening, flights were pretty much on time. We got lucky and were 1 day away from MAJOR travel delays.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter