Disney trip 8 days after surgery?

You may feel sore and exhausted so if you plan to do the parks I think you will not be on the top of your game. If you plan to take it slow and in spurts I think you'll be fine. If you plan on hanging by the pools I think it will be fabulous--my motto I can recover at home or I can relax at WDW and be surrounded by sunshine--it doesn't matter where my lounge chair, is so I pick FL. For me, I could not do fast rides of any kind until about 6 months after the surgery, so if you are planning on riding alot prepare yourself in case you can't.
I hope you are 100% soon!

8 days may be a bit too soon. If you really are insistent on going though, take it easy. I'm in the same boat. I had laparoscopic surgery 2 weeks ago but our Disney trip isn't for another 2 weeks so I'll be on my 4th week post-op. Take a break every 2 hours from driving and walk around. Take in the shows and avoid the really rough rides, relax at the resort, enjoy the pool. My doctor told me to take off work for 8 weeks and he knows I'm going to Disney. He also encouraged me to get a wheelchair or ECV but I can't see myself riding one of those. I don't look sick/disabled, and to me, it sounds more of an inconvenience especially waiting for a bus. I plan on taking it easy. We'll be there for 2 weeks so there's plenty of time. Who knows, I might change my mind after 2 days, but we'll see. Have fun!

8 days may be a bit too soon. If you really are insistent on going though, take it easy. I'm in the same boat. I had laparoscopic surgery 2 weeks ago but our Disney trip isn't for another 2 weeks so I'll be on my 4th week post-op. Take a break every 2 hours from driving and walk around. Take in the shows and avoid the really rough rides, relax at the resort, enjoy the pool. My doctor told me to take off work for 8 weeks and he knows I'm going to Disney. He also encouraged me to get a wheelchair or ECV but I can't see myself riding one of those. I don't look sick/disabled, and to me, it sounds more of an inconvenience especially waiting for a bus. I plan on taking it easy. We'll be there for 2 weeks so there's plenty of time. Who knows, I might change my mind after 2 days, but we'll see. Have fun!

I have to ask, do you have other circumstances that would make your doctor tell you to take 8 weeks off. I've never heard a doctor suggest that long for a gallbladder surgery. Mine was fine with me going about my daily activities as soon as I felt up to it. He said many people are only out a few days.....

I just returned from disney on May 29th. I also had had surgery two weeks prior. I had emergency surgery for an obstructed kidney stone. I had a stent place and was put on no restrictions except lifting. My doctor was aware of my travel and made sure to give me extra antibiotics for post op fever, which I had prior to leaving. I took the days slow and rested every afternoon, thanks to the rain. I did not get any kind of wheelchair or scooter although my husband offered. Please be careful because I did have problems while in disney related to infection/fever. After I completed my course of antibiotics I did spike fevers of 103 and had to go back on the antibiotic. I was very fortunate because my doctors office worked with me while in Florida and managed my care. I did end up with a serious complication and did spend the past week in the hospital. I ended up with internal bleeding of my kidney and infection which they do tell me is not related to my trip. My doctors tell me what happen to me is a post of complication that is very rare, but as a nurse has really scared me. So please take all precautions and consult your doctor before you leave.

I had my gallbladder out several years ago. I came home to a newborn a two and 3 1/2 year old. I stopped and ate at Chili's on the way home and never missed a beat once at home. I basically felt pretty normal--much better than when the attacks were happening.

I agree that everyone is different. Knowing how I felt, I would never have skipped a vacation to WDW and I probably would have done most of my usual things. However, your body is different than mine--your surgeon was different than mine. I never took pain meds because I have severe reaction so being med-free also made me feel very awake and energetic.

I have to ask, do you have other circumstances that would make your doctor tell you to take 8 weeks off. I've never heard a doctor suggest that long for a gallbladder surgery. Mine was fine with me going about my daily activities as soon as I felt up to it. He said many people are only out a few days.....
I didn't have gallbladder surgery, I had laparoscopic hysterectomy and bladder suspension. He said 6-8 weeks is normal for that procedure.

I want to say thank-you to everyone that has replied to this thread, I have really enjoyed reading peoples different stories and opinions, since I have never had any kind of surgery I really don't know what to expect. I did go out of the house today for about 6 hours, went to kohl's to pick up a gift and bath/body sale and then on to a graduation party. I will tell you I was really getiing tired and feeling every bump in the road as we traveled. I had not had any pain medication since the night before, but when I got home I took 2 of the Vikaden and went to bed for 2 hours, I feel pretty good right now, those drugs they give you are pretty amazing.

I am wondering tho from reading different replies if I should get an antibiotic with me to take, or I could maybe get my friend to write me a prescription that will be on the trip with us, I guess I do feel safer going knowing that I have a Dr. and nurse inour group that we are best friends with although the Dr. is a pediatrician.

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions, by the way my husband did order an ECV for the first week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter