Disney Sea Mini-Trip Report January 9th

Kyjin

Mouseketeer
I'm currently living in Tokyo while conducting research for my dissertation, and my brother decided to come visit from the US over New Year's! It was his first time to Japan, but the trip wouldn't be complete without a little Disney. We decided to head to Disney Sea yesterday to end his trip, and it was a blast!

The Players:
DB (26)- First time at TDR, non-Japanese speaker
Me (28)- 4th time at DS, bilingual

Timing:
Since my brother was visiting over New Year's, I wanted to wait till all the holiday crowds were gone. We also went to Kyoto, which knocked out most of our weekdays, leaving January 9th as our only option. I didn't realize until that morning that it was also Coming-of-Age Day, but you wouldn't know it going to the park. It wasn't crowded at all!

Weather:
This may be why. It rained most of Sunday, but the weather report showed the rain ending by 7am. Yeah, that didn't happen. We woke up to dark skies, cold wind, and wetness. We ended up sticking around my house a little longer in the morning in hopes that the clouds would clear up. That didn't really happen. It rained on and off till about noon, and the sun only really came out by 2pm. On the one hand, the cold stunk, on the other, it scared a lot of people away!

Arriving:
We made it to the park about 9am (park opening at 8am.) While my brother filled out a survey (and got an adorable Mickey postcard for it!), I ducked into guest relations to get him an English map. While there, they made me a little sticker with my name on it decorated with Minnie (I think so I could wear when meeting characters?), but I didn't end up wearing it due to the rain. Once we were done up front, we headed straight for the lottery for Big Band Beat, and won! I've never managed to see the show before, either due to losing the lottery or my group members not being interested. Luckily, my brother was all in for seeing shows. :)
We next went and grabbed our Tower of Terror FPs (for 11:55), then headed for the volcano!

20 Thousand Leagues Under the Sea:
This is one of those attractions that's grown on me, and my brother adored it. I never realized until this trip that you can actually move the searchlights yourself. (Fail on my part.) We had a 10 minute wait in the morning, and later came back to walk-on in the evening.

Sinbad:
After that, we headed back towards Sinbad, another ride which I didn't used to like but now love. Despite not understanding the lyrics, DB really enjoyed it. He said the story was easy enough to understand, and I gave him the gist of the song lyrics later.

Genie Show:
Ah, now this is one I've wanted to see again. (Last time was 3 years ago?) Sure the 3D effects aren't great, but I think it's a cute story. I translated the majority of dialogue for DB during the preview room and the show itself. He later decided it was one of his faves. Afterwards, we ran back to Journey to grab fastpasses (for 2:30), then headed off to Tower of Terror!

Tower of Terror:
My favorite ride in the park, and also my favorite version of this ride period. (Yeah WDW is a little bigger, but you can't beat the idol trick!) DB isn't a fan of this but he rode with me anyway since knows it's my favorite. We didn't bother to go back to this one since the line was long all day, and again, brother wasn't really into it.

Electric Railway:
After lunch we wanted to head to Indy, and since the train was coming in, we decided to give it a try. Cute views, and a nice break on our feet. (We ended up walking 12.5 miles that day between the park and traveling back and forth to my house!) I’d take it again if it’s in the station and no line, but not worth a wait.

Indiana Jones:
I am forever shocked at how few people utilize the single rider line. Our first time through, we waited maybe 5 minutes, and ended up in the same vehicle anyway! We went again later in the evening and were the only people in single rider; we got seated almost immediately. Sorry Disney, but I am never ever wasting fast passes or doing standby on this one.

Out of the Shadowland:
We decided to check out this show in Lost River Delta. The last time I saw a show here was 2012, which I recall having more acrobats involved. The story with Mei losing her way and gaining confidence was cute, but was completely lost on my brother. (I tried to translate during the show but it was too loud. I ended up giving a condensed summary after the show which he appreciated.) A nice break on our feet, but I think I'll skip this one in the future.

Journey to the Center of the Earth:
I recently learned that this uses the same ride system as Test Track in Epcot, and now I notice it! Always love this ride. DB loved it so much that later we went back and waited in standby. (Posted time 40 minutes, maybe took 25.) We also developed our own theories as to why they would keep sending people down into the center of the earth when that monster is there. (Perhaps to distract the monster so the researchers can continue their work unharmed?) One cavet: in winter the burst of cold air when your vehicle shoots out of the volcano is killer.

Big Band Beat:
WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE! We pulled seats in the D section of the orchestra for the 3:20 show. The only things I knew going in was that it involved jazz and that it's not to be missed. Well call me shocked when suddenly it's all American actors speaking English! DB had a blast with this one and we were clapping along the whole time. Easily the best show in the park; I can't wait to see it again!

Aquatopia:
The last ride we rode that wasn’t a repeat. I’ve always skipped this one due to long lines, and honestly, I wouldn’t ride it if it wasn’t a short wait anyway. Cute, but Pooh’s Hunny Hunt does a better trackless ride system.

Fantasmic:
It was pretty cold, but DB really wanted to see Fantasmic (he’s only seen the WDW version before), so we toughed it out. Ended up sitting right by the water 40 minutes before showtime. We were in a section where we could sit the whole time, which was a blessing. I really do love DS’s version of the show, especially since they can use the volcano. A few minutes after the show ended, the special Make a Wish fireworks occurred, and we sat on a wall and watched it before heading to the station and out of the park.

Food:
We had lunch at the deli in Mediterranean Harbor. I had the reuben, which hit the spot on a cold day. DB picked most of the veggies off of his Mile High sandwich but seemed to like it. We split a slice of cheesecake for dessert, which I wasn’t really a fan of. (And I say this as someone who really loves Japanese-style cheesecake!)
I was still battling the end of the stomach flu during the trip, so I didn’t eat much. We had hot cocoa in the late afternoon (delicious). For dinner DB had a sausage, bacon, and meatball plate from one of the counter service places at the front of the park, while I just had a bread from the bakery next door. (Curse you stomach, I wanted to eat delicious snacks!)

Overall:
Despite the cold (and the uncooperating stomach), this was easily my favorite trip to DS! It was a welcome change to see so many shows, and with low crowds, we really felt like we could ride whatever we wanted. Looking forward to my next trip in the coming months!

Thanks so much for sharing! I will definitely have to try to see Big Band Beat, and I appreciate the tip on the single rider line at Indiana Jones :)
Can't wait to see some of these things for myself!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter