• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney reimburses unsuspecting customer

I am really tired of reading that if only people read closely enough, or clicked the right combo of links...
I'm really tired of reading that a web page or a CSR should have been clairvoyant. Looks like we're even there. :)

When you are spending $5000 on a trip, (Not buying a 10 dollar shirt off the rack), I would expect a certain level of service and communication from the provider. WDW seemed to agree with me.
I doubt that. There is a difference between providing something to try to make a customer happy and agreeing with the customer. You may have missed some of the discussion regarding this in the middle of the thread, how Disney does things like this, spreads a little pixie dust here and there, to address concerns sometimes, but also then stops doing so when the information hits the Internet and everyone starts expecting to get the same pixie dust.

When you are spending $5000 on a trip, (Not buying a 10 dollar shirt off the rack), I would expect a certain level of service and communication from the provider.

When you spend $5,000 on anything, I would expect the buyer to have researched every detail of that purchase.

But I guess that is why we have so many people in foreclosure across the country right now.

When you spend $5,000 on anything, I would expect the buyer to have researched every detail of that purchase.

But I guess that is why we have so many people in foreclosure across the country right now.

ITA. And the idea that they wouldn't havbe bought the DDP is baloney. Then again, if they researeched the $5000 purchase poorly to begin with, then they also probably would not have crunched the numbers. In the end, let me say this just for future reference for everyone--when you go on a trip and pay for a plan and the year changes in the middle of the trip, research everything. In July I saw on the Nutrisystem board that the price of the Disney tickets were going up and I remember someone saying that changes were also being made to the dining plan for 2008. WDW announced their changes at least by July.

"From savory snacks and quick meals, to Disney Signature restaurants and our famous Character Dining, experience the freedom of choosing from over 100 select restaurants throughout Walt Disney World® Resort to fit your family's ever-changing tastes during your vacation. Best of all, enjoy the convenience and peace of mind in knowing that most of your meals are paid for in advance, including gratuities where applicable."

I can see where in this sentence you could think that gratuities are included at all TS locations.

In this case "most of your meals" includes CS and TS. Where applicable, well of course you don't leave gratuities at CS locations, so gratuities are applicable at TS locations.

Further, I can't deny that CM's misinform guests on a daily basis. Heck even I was told that Crystal Palace was a location that included gratuity. I clarified with the CM, I am not on any DDP, I am using DDE, we're a party of more than 6. She insisted after all of this that my gratuity was included in the price of the meal at this location, explaining that some locations now include gratuity and this is one of them. I pride myself on being informed, but were I an average Disney guest, and only made my ADR's with her, I believe that I'd have every right to expect my gratuity to be included at Crystal Palace. Especially when I didn't hear that speech about the other reservations I made that day. (I made those reservations on 1/17, when you'd think that the CM's would be well informed on the correct version of the 2008 plans.)

I also research my trip to the last detail, but it takes an enormous amount of time. Not everyone has the kind of time that I do and not every marriage can handle it. Many times in my quest for knowledge my DH complained LOUDLY that he'd be so glad when we were on vacation so he'd get his wife back.

I am just saying that some guests, who took a reasonable but small amount of time to research, or who just researched by talking to a Disney CM could have had the wrong information. Should they be reimbursed? I don't think so, but that's up do Disney and not to me. Should they pitch a fit once they get there in the restaurant? NO that's just discourteous to everyone. Should they feel slightly annoyed? Sure I probably would - especially in my example of CP (if I didn't know better that the CM was wrong)

This is what has been on the webpage since at least Jan 1:

From savory snacks and quick meals, to Disney Signature restaurants and our famous Character Dining, experience the freedom of choosing from over 100 select restaurants throughout Walt Disney World® Resort to fit your family's ever-changing tastes during your vacation. Best of all, enjoy the convenience and peace of mind in knowing that most of your meals are paid for in advance.*

In addition to your Magic Your Way Base Ticket and Disney Resort accommodations, the Magic Your Way Package Plus Dining includes the following, per person for each night of your stay:

1 Table Service Meal
1 Quick Service Meal
1 Snack

Here's how it works:

When booking your vacation, purchase the Magic Your Way Package Plus Dining.
While vacationing at Walt Disney World® Resort, visit one of the over 100 select restaurants available on the Disney Dining plan.
Present your Key to the World card, which electronically includes your family's allocated meals, to your server prior to ordering and then...bon appetit! Enjoy a delicious meal your whole family is sure to love!† ††
Track your meals with the easy-to-read receipt your server will provide.
Enjoy the flexibility of redeeming your meals in any order or in any amount throughout your package stay until your total is "devoured." You can even indulge in Disney Signature Dining and Dinner Show experiences in exchange for two Table Service meals per person! †††
Many Disney table-service restaurants are quite popular and book quickly. Please make dining reservations from home up to 180 days in advance by calling (407) WDW-DINE (939-3463)†.

For more information, and to view the more than 100 restaurants offered, read all about the 2008 Magic Your Way Package Plus Dining.

Don't miss out! To save up to 30% per person on dining — and to experience the convenience of pre-paid dining — be sure to purchase the Magic Your Way Package Plus Dining when staying at a select Walt Disney World® Resort hotel.

*Applicable taxes are included. Gratuity is not included except for Dinner Shows and Cinderella's Royal Table. Merchandise or photo-imaging products that may be offered at Character Dining Experiences are not included, except at Cinderella's Royal Table.

I agree that when you make vacation plans that are going to cost thousands of dollars every aspect of that vacation should be looked at! Complaining about the dining plan after the fact is pointless when the fine print was available for any and everyone to veiw before any confirmations are made!

I was on the dining plan last year and I will be on it this year as well!
Yeah Im not too happy about the loss of the appitizer and now having to pay the gratuity.. but after my vacation im not going to come on here and complain about those changes when I knew about them from the start!

creativeamanda and bicker, you are both engaging in a bit of revisionist history, what I posted is to the word how the 2008 Dining Plan was advertised on their website as of Jan 1 and later as they didnt immediately rewrite it. Why you feel the need to portray this as otherwise is beyond me. While it could be construed as misleading, the initial wording was legally correct. Disney realized they had worded this badly and rewrote it at least twice that I am aware of. Not only that creativeamanda, they didnt change the 'save 30%' wording until a week or so ago, (It still said save 40%). Please at least have the integrity to be intellectually honest and not cloud the debate with what is on the site now as your justification.

A little OT here, but what is the "snack loophole" that was closed?
Also-I have talked to 3 different CM about adding DDP to our package before we leave, and have gotten 3 different answers. Which CM is giving me the correct info?
*You can add the DDP on to your package up to two weeks before you check in.
*You have to add the DDP to your package 45 days or more before your trip, or you are subject to the $50/person package change fee
*You can add the DDP to your package up to 2 days before you check in. This CM told me that she has been there for 3 years and KNOWS this is absolutely okay. There will be no charge because we are upgrading our package (her words)
We haven't added DDP yet because I am sitting on the fence after reading everything on this board. We used the DDP in Dec '06 and loved it. However- I don't care about not getting apps, too much food for us. We will be tipping in cash. Does it help to tell the server that when they come to collect our cards?
Thanks for letting me get a little OT!

Why you feel the need to portray this as otherwise is beyond me.
We could say the same to you. Let's just accept that reasonable people can disagree about this and move on.

We could say the same to you. Let's just accept that reasonable people can disagree about this and move on.

Now you make a backhanded statement like that and assume that closes the matter. That doesnt sound all that reasonable to me, but I will agree that these circular arguments get nowhere.

You and other 'reasonable people' will obviously never concede the point that Disney themselves created this mess with their wording and mis-informed CM's.

While I and other 'reasonable people' will certainly never put the sole blame on a misinformed consumer.

Beyond that, its all sunshine, smiles and rainbows!

You don't have to agree with a perspective to respect those that hold that perspective as "reasonable" people. :mad:

You don't have to agree with a perspective to respect those that hold that perspective as "reasonable" people. :mad:

bicker, I will grant you this, in all the time I have visited the disney boards I have thought that you were rarely wrong.
In this instance, however, I think your perspective is wrong and unreasonable.
I am not sure if thats because you want to argue the point for arguments sake or for any other motive, but I find the fact that you wont concede any points in regards to how this new plan was launched to be 'disingenuous.'
Ill see your :mad: and raise you :lovestruc :lovestruc

You're entitled to your opinion. I respect your perspective that much, so why is it so hard to show such respect in return? :sad2:

I'm really getting disgusted with the disrespect folks are practicing these days; it's like a virus on the boards. Maybe its the fact that folks are concerned about the impending recession. I don't know. I'm glad I'm heading away for vacation this weekend. Have fun, folks. I'm outta here.

We just returned from our trip and I found it very interesting that we weren't asked if we were on the DDP at all except at Le Cellier. Had we not known in advance it would have been easy to order apps at the first meal thinking they would be paid for. It was very different from our previous DDP trips. They did give us an updated brochure at check in and there was a printed statement on our check in card you sign that said tips weren't included. The tip part is confusing for everyone. We had one meal (Akershus) where the Cm accidently charged our DDP before giving us the tip slip so we couldn't charge the tip. She did say don't worry about it but we wouldn't do that and scrounged around and found an emergency $20 I had stuffed into a pocket of our bag. We only had one meal where the server specifically solicited a tip (Crystal Palace) and in a what I felt like was a rude way. So he only got 15% when we had been tipping more than 20% mostly because we had very nice service everywhere this trip.

You're entitled to your opinion. I respect your perspective that much, so why is it so hard to show such respect in return? :sad2:

I'm really getting disgusted with the disrespect folks are practicing these days; it's like a virus on the boards. Maybe its the fact that folks are concerned about the impending recession. I don't know. I'm glad I'm heading away for vacation this weekend. Have fun, folks. I'm outta here.

once again, bicker, nice job of cutting to the chase :thumbsup2

have a great vacation!!

Dont see how you can be upset with anything that has been posted about this. There certainly hasnt been anything personal or angst ridden. If you dont feel like engaging in discourse on a topic of merit with differing opinions thats fine, but it was never about you.

Have a great vacation.

creativeamanda and bicker, you are both engaging in a bit of revisionist history, what I posted is to the word how the 2008 Dining Plan was advertised on their website as of Jan 1 and later as they didnt immediately rewrite it.
But, again, the information you quoted includes the statement, "... including gratuities, where applicable". So the information you quoted was, and continues to be, accurate. It didn't need to be rewritten.

angelmav said:
Now you make a backhanded statement like that and assume that closes the matter.
How is including you among the "reasonable people" who can disagree, a backhanded statement?

But, again, the information you quoted includes the statement, "... including gratuities, where applicable". So the information you quoted was, and continues to be, accurate. It didn't need to be rewritten.

How is including you among the "reasonable people" who can disagree, a backhanded statement?

It was rewritten because it was construed as potentially mis-leading. I have quoted for you the original passage. Its fine if it passes your litmus test given that you already know what the plan entails, but it apparently failed for many others which is why it went through at least two re-writes to remove any ambiguity.

to answer your question, when giving a response 'we could say the same of you' I find, in my perview and by my very own litmus test to be a backhanded statement, however you ommitted that part of the quote.:rolleyes:

creativeamanda and bicker, you are both engaging in a bit of revisionist history, what I posted is to the word how the 2008 Dining Plan was advertised on their website as of Jan 1 and later as they didnt immediately rewrite it.

That is not true. I booked my Aug trip the 2nd week of Jan. On December 14, I downloaded the 2008 Dining brochure from the Disney website. All of the information was there as of Dec 14. How do I know this? That's the date that shows on the computer. If you have questions about the dining plan, you call 407-WDW-DINE. If you have questions about your resort, call the resort. If you have questions about a certain park, call the park. When you are dealing with a large company like WDW, you can't expect 100% of all of the employees to know everything.

I knew before I made my deposit that gratuities were not included. I was told and I read it on the WDW website a month before I made my reservations on Jan 14. If others did not know, it is soley the fault of theirs for not researching properly, as I have stated before. The downfall of this will be that next year the DDP will cost more and park tickets will cost more (again). People are going to abuse the system here and I am going to have to pay for it and others are going to have to pay for it. Explain how this is fair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter