Disney Rankings Lists

Captain UP

Mouseketeer
In honor of Disney's 100th, the AV Club (for all their cynicism and too-cool-for-the-room attitude) is posting some pretty decent Disney lists. I won't link to their site but you can find it.

For discussion (argument!) purposes, here's the Top Ten of their 50 best Disney films*:

10. Sleeping Beauty
9. The Incredibles
8. Aladdin
7. Wall-E
6. The Lion King
5. Mary Poppins
4. Up
3. The Little Mermaid
2. Beauty and the Beast
1. Toy Story

*They included everything from Pixar

Okay, more seriously, here are some thoughts: while I love all of these movies, and ranking is very hard, I wouldn't put Incredibles up there.

Pinocchio should be there from an animation standpoint alone because of the leaps it made in technology. Also, it's such a masterpiece.

Jungle Book could be another contender as the last of Walt's animated films.

Toy Story is wonderful and deserves a spot on the top 10, it shouldn't be the top film. It wasn't even a Disney film when it was made, and it's not there masterpiece that Beauty and Beast and Lion King are.

Okay, more seriously, here are some thoughts: while I love all of these movies, and ranking is very hard, I wouldn't put Incredibles up there.

Pinocchio should be there from an animation standpoint alone because of the leaps it made in technology. Also, it's such a masterpiece.

Jungle Book could be another contender as the last of Walt's animated films.

Toy Story is wonderful and deserves a spot on the top 10, it shouldn't be the top film. It wasn't even a Disney film when it was made, and it's not there masterpiece that Beauty and Beast and Lion King are.
That’s what stood out to me …not a bad movie but what’s it doing in the Top 10?!?

I glanced at their site and they seem big on producing various lists such as ranking the recent grammy performances. I would want to know what criteria they use to rank such things since these tend to be fairly subjective. If you ask a group of people to rank popular movies, they usually tend to include the more current ones vs something from 25+ yrs ago.

I glanced at their site and they seem big on producing various lists such as ranking the recent grammy performances. I would want to know what criteria they use to rank such things since these tend to be fairly subjective. If you ask a group of people to rank popular movies, they usually tend to include the more current ones vs something from 25+ yrs ago.
I imagine the primary methodology consists of "generating buzz" lol

Glad to see Sleeping Beauty on there! It doesn't get enough recognition sometimes. I think that if you are doing a "greatest" list, then it's gotta be Mary Poppins at the top - that or Beauty and the Beast. A greastest/best list wouldn't necessarily match with my personal favorites list though.

A/V Club are some serious, high-level movie nerds. I'm sure it's just their opinion, but an opinion informed by knowing everything there is to know about movies. Now, that doesn't make them "right" as nobody really can be, but their methodology I think is to just watch A LOT of movies - like ALL movies.

Last edited:
There are so many ways to do a list like this. Is it movies that were the most popular or made the most money? Is it movies that advanced filmmaking from a technological or societal standpoint? Without knowing the criteria that was being used to make the decision, the list is just a list.

If it were a technological list, I would expect films like Snow White (first animated feature), Pinocchio (for its use of the multi plane camera), and Mary Poppins (integration of animation and live action) to be at or near the top.

If you look at which films, adjusted for inflation, brought in the most money, as of 2020 I see a list showing Snow White, the 1961 version of 101 Dalmatians, and The Lion King in the top spots. I suppose a person could also say these were also the most popular, as they also top the list when it comes to number of tickets sold. Frozen was in fourth place for ticket sales. However, some of these lists include films from Star Wars, Marvel, and Pixar, for example, and some only include films released under the Disney label, so not every list is the same.

Ultimately, unless you are looking at actual data points such as dollars or a count of tickets sold, and include every film released under any subsidiary of the Disney company, it’s going to be subjective. I’m glad to see some of my favorites on their list, but I would switch out a few of those for other movies, and move around the rankings as well.

There are so many ways to do a list like this. Is it movies that were the most popular or made the most money? Is it movies that advanced filmmaking from a technological or societal standpoint? Without knowing the criteria that was being used to make the decision, the list is just a list.

If it were a technological list, I would expect films like Snow White (first animated feature), Pinocchio (for its use of the multi plane camera), and Mary Poppins (integration of animation and live action) to be at or near the top.

If you look at which films, adjusted for inflation, brought in the most money, as of 2020 I see a list showing Snow White, the 1961 version of 101 Dalmatians, and The Lion King in the top spots. I suppose a person could also say these were also the most popular, as they also top the list when it comes to number of tickets sold. Frozen was in fourth place for ticket sales. However, some of these lists include films from Star Wars, Marvel, and Pixar, for example, and some only include films released under the Disney label, so not every list is the same.

Ultimately, unless you are looking at actual data points such as dollars or a count of tickets sold, and include every film released under any subsidiary of the Disney company, it’s going to be subjective. I’m glad to see some of my favorites on their list, but I would switch out a few of those for other movies, and move around the rankings as well.
I agree with all of this. I looked at the full list and found it odd that it's only Disney Animation, Pixar, and some Disney live-action films. But if you're grouping various studios together like that, why not consider the Marvel at Star Wars films also?

If I were to do the list it would be by studio.

I agree with most of that list and its great to see the Sleeping Beauty and Mary Poppins on there. I think Snow White needs to be in the top 10. My personal list would have to contain Pete's Dragon.

Reactions: slo
Well, it took a few days but I figured this list would generate some heat!

I agree that Toy Story should max out at number 2 simply because it was pre-actual Disney.

And Encanto was definitely high but not quite top ten.

Time for a new list! Top ten animated Disney characters of all time…I think we all may notice an issue here,

10. Belle
9. The Genie
8. Ariel
7. Winnie the Pooh
6. Scar
5. Mickey Mouse
4. Cinderella
3. Woody
2. Ursula
1. Donald Duck

Robin Hood is my favorite Disney Movie. I don't know many who really stick it on a list though (so no argument). But I watched it so many times growing up it's kind of ingrained into my childhood memories.

Time for a new list! Top ten animated Disney characters of all time…I think we all may notice an issue here,

10. Belle
9. The Genie
8. Ariel
7. Winnie the Pooh
6. Scar
5. Mickey Mouse
4. Cinderella
3. Woody
2. Ursula
1. Donald Duck

Uh, yeah - where's Goofy?

10. Belle
9. The Genie
8. Ariel
7. Winnie the Pooh
6. Scar
5. Mickey Mouse
4. Cinderella
3. Woody
2. Ursula
1. Donald Duck
Whoa whoa whoa. I don't even know where to start. How does Scar make it here and not, say, Jiminy Cricket? Ursula is my favorite Disney villain, I think she has the most flair, but at number 2? And I'm a fan of the ducks in general but I must concede that Donald at #1 is too weird! I would put one of the princesses, Mickey, or the Genie up there. But really, in deference to Walt, Mickey should be at the top.

The only part of this list that I really disagree with about this list is putting Up above Lion King. The first 10 minutes are fantastic, but the movie as a whole does not compare to Lion King in any way IMO.

I also don't think Toy Story should be number 1 but that's only because I'm not really a fan of that movie.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter