• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney now or wait....

Pooh99

Earning My Ears
I have until Thursday to confirm my Fairytale Package that I booked for Sept 27th for 7 nights.

I am having some concerns and thought I would like to hear some input. I am not going to get an unbiased opinion on this DISNEY board, but oh well!!:)

1.) My kids (10,4) have never been to a large amusement park AT ALL!!! I have no idea what it will be like for them to be there and I am worried that it might be too much stimulation!! Our vacations are usually camping at the lake... maybe a ride on go carts at night or a trip to the game room! I know, you guys are yawning right now!!!

2.) My DH has a chance of losing his job within the next year. I feel pressured to go to WDW now because if he does lose his job, we won't be able to go then. :eek: I am a stay at home mom and I can't say we are totally financially stable right now.

Thanks for the input in advance.

;)

Awwwww Pooh 99 this is a hard decision for you to make...and by the way WELCOME to the DIS!!! :)

Let's start with this:

I am worried that it might be too much stimulation!!

At the time of year you're going I don't think you have to worry.The crowds will be down and maybe just a tiny break in the hot weather which are 2 big contributors to melt down IMHO!
There are times when strolling in the park and it seems like you're the only ones there.All areas are not packed ALL the time! :) YOU can control how hectic you want your trip.You can have those easy laid back nights at your resort.Pool,gameroom.
Make a list of the attractions/rides you'd all like to see but DO NOT knock yourself out trying to accomplish it.WDW has been there for a very long,long time and I'm TOATLLY sure it's going to be there for MANY years to come!

That having been said you REALLY need to think long and hard about putting the money out now for a few days of fun if looming in the horizon is the chance of DH losing his job.Will the money you use for the trip now be NEEDED in a few months down the road? Will you come to HATE your WDW trip because you went there instead of saving the money and used it when you really needed it to live?

I know there was a time I went to WDW when my ex left me.I shouldn't really have been using the money I had then to splurge on a WDW trip but I NEEDED to...I needed to escape reality for awhile be away from all the crud I was going through and relax...when my bills came in later I did regret it a bit but I made it through! :)

I don't know if I've helped you at all but just weigh all the possibities before you make your decision!

This is a tough decision. As a read your post some thoughts came to mind. Are your children asking to go to Disney or is it something you want to do?

There are a lot of wonderful things to do and see at Disney parks that aren't rides. MK has Tom Sawyer Island and the tree house (Swiss Family Robinson?). Epcot is great (DD favorite by far) there's the world showcase, the land pavilion etc. I bet your kids would like Animal Kingdom a lot.

I think if you can plan your days with a few hours of down time and a slow pace you should have a great time. Make sure to enjoy your resort since that's part of the whole Disney experience. I would hold off on MK until you've gone to a few other parks. Let your kids ease into the experience. We didn't do that with DD and paid big time.

As far as the cost factor, Disney is fun and exciting but not worth getting into financial difficulty to do. The FTP deal is very enticing. I was tempted by it even though we just got back.

Finally, you and DH could always split up each taking a child if one goes on overload.

Good luck with your decision.

Go for it!!!!

Just take it slow and see how they do each day and plan accordingly. I believe, though, that they'll do great and you all will have a WONDERFUL time!

Rrelax and enjoy. That's a great time to go too!

With so many unknowns about the future, we need places like DisneyWorld where families can enjoy the "magic" and forget about future worries. My suggestion is to go with no regrets and don't fear the future. Enjoy!

Tom

I think you could have a great trip, if you go now. Your kids are at a great age to have at WDW. You can adjust your days and your schedule based on how your kids are doing.

Having said that, if your husband may be laid off and you don't think you are financially stable NOW (with him working) I think it would be a mistake to go. I personally think that no one should go on vacations like that if they will cause financial hardship. Take a camping trip, do day trips from home, whatever. But that's just me. I also don't believe in carrying a credit card balance either!!

We had a trip planned to Disneyland last Xmas. Dh lost his job in November, and was saying we should still take the trip, as he would, for sure, have a job in January. Well, he didn't have a job until April, and he was extraordinarily lucky that he got what he got. I was glad we didn't go in December. We are now going in July, but on a much more budget trip than initially planned.

JMHO.

Julia

Another way to look at the situation: We are taking our "soon to be" four year old this December. As much as I love taking 6-7 night trips and as tempting at this Fairytale package is, we are only going for four nights. That is plenty of time to hit fun "highlights" and also get rest. Children get very tired and over-stimulated. I sincerely think 3 days of parks and swimming is plenty. You can do the trip alot cheaper not doing the FTP. Don't look at it as losing three nights free; you are really paying quite a bit for a package deal that has to include UPH, not a necessary thing. Break it down like this: (not exact)

Moderate Resort: 100.00 x 4 = 444.00 (hopefully discount)
Tickets 230.00 x 3 = 690.00

Fairytale package for 7 nights is quite a bit more.

It is a great deal if you want to go that long, but take the cheaper route for the first time to get to experience it.

I also wonder if you have told your children? If you have not, I would consider very carefuly if this is a smart move at this time. Do you have other savings? What does the job market look like for your DH? And lots of other questions. However if you have already told your kids, I would try very hard to go. You can do a budget trip, and still have a blast. Drive if you can, Stay value resorts, do hopper passes instead of the package, eat counter service and eat meals in your room. Visit the budget board for more great ideas. Hope that this all works out for you.

jordan's mom

For your situation, one big advantage of booking a 7 night package is that you will have plenty of time to see al ot, without having to rush around. Your kids will be able to have a great time, at their own pace.

Were you planning on flying or driving to WDW. If you are driving, then I say book the vacation now to lock in the rate. If you have to cancel later, the most you may lose is $200, I think. This gives you more time to see how the budget situation is later on, and more time to see what happens with DH job.

However, if you have to purchase airline tickets as well, and would stand to lose a lot of money if you were not able to go, then I would say hold off until you better know what your financial situation will be. There will always be some sort of special rate available, even if you have to go for a shorter time.

My DW and 2 DD's (6 & 2) go to WDW on average every 6 months, and we have amazing memories to look back upon, and many new adventures to look forward to as the DD's get older. I would always encourage a family trip to WDW, especially if the kids have never been, but not at the expense of possible financial hardship. If you can't go now, wait until the uncertainty settles down, and then go and enjoy yourself with no guilt. Good luck with your decision.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter