Disney+ News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Netflix has to pay studios for the rights. So if they don't take things off, they'd run out of money pretty quickly. Supposedly, they've been running at a deficit for a while. With Disney+, I don't think they'll have that issue since they aren't paying anyone else for the rights. But I could be wrong...
They have to pay themselves if that makes sense. It's one business unit paying the other.

Important part yes but really Dumbo is almost/is as bad as Song of the South. Song of the South has some bad acting but I enjoyed it more than Dumbo. We rewatched Dumbo either before or after watching Song a year or two ago.

I started a goal to watch an old/classic movie each week this year and some of the movies, while good then, just wouldn't be made today yet people are able to put them in their time period and understand it. I understand that it's Disney and I understand the temperature of the country at this point but I still don't understand why other movies are ok to be out and be on Turner Classic because they won an Oscar or on dvd etc, but Song of the South is "so awful" it can't be out. I think it's been misinterpreted some and if you watch with an open mind knowing the time period it was set in and made it would be fine along with many other movies that are out now.

But the crow's in Dumbo are just as bad. I haven't, and won't, see the live action but do they ignore the role the crows played or how is it done?

There was a recent essay in the Times Literary Supplement which proposed a different interpretation of the racial themes in Dumbo and specifically those crows:

... Concealed in this children’s cartoon, unnoticed over time, lies a civil rights fable concerning what used to be called miscegenation: the intermarriage of blacks and whites. The contemporary audience missed this, being too imbued with a culture where all acts of prejudice took their cues from the segregationist model to notice anything particular about the things that happen to Dumbo. Since then, many commentators have inspected Disney’s oeuvre for racist tropes. But no one looks at the elephant.
A case of generational parochialism? A reading of current priorities into a work whose authors had no such intentions? Not really. Jim Crow, as the segregation laws in the post-reconstruction South were known, was a smouldering issue in 1941: a time when the emergence of the Harlem Renaissance in art, letters and music had reanimated a moribund black cause among white intellectuals and artists in the North. But perhaps the really interesting thing is how much more sense the film makes when read as an allegory of black persecution.
and
... This brings us to the final scene where Dumbo, who has woken up in the branches of a tree, meets a flock of crows, social marginals lying about on the outskirts of the Florida railway. They’re the only creatures to be kind to Dumbo, and the only ones at liberty. As I mentioned above, this has attracted notoriety for its racist content. According to my reading though, this scene was not conceived that way, but in the spirit of anti-racism; and steers as near to a celebration of black power, avant la lettre, as its writers could sail. Because this is where young Dumbo, with his mixed-race heritage, meets some other black characters; and these are the ones who show him who he really is and what are his true powers. ...
No-one could deny these crows represent black stereotypes. They’ve even got a leader called Jim Crow : a detail that has always been interpreted as a racial slur and never as a ten-foot signpost to an underlying theme.

https://www.the-tls.co.uk/articles/public/the-ears-have-it/

I have a Samsung Smart tv, but I suspect that it won’t update with the Disney+ app. I’ve been looking at Roku devices, thinking that’ll be a good alternative. Does anyone have experience with them and advice on which I should consider?

I have a Samsung Smart tv, but I suspect that it won’t update with the Disney+ app. I’ve been looking at Roku devices, thinking that’ll be a good alternative. Does anyone have experience with them and advice on which I should consider?
I have a Roku Tv so it’s built it but I enjoy it. All smart TV devices have a lot of similarities and it’s easy to figure out.

Personally this service is already a disappointment. No Amazon Fire Support, No Thanks. I'll find The Mandalorian elsewhere.

It’s not November 12th yet, there’s still 2 months for them to work out the carriage. To call a service a disappointment two months prior to launch is so very weird.

To fail to reach an agreement with a company has the 34million users world wide is a disappointment. Especially when all competitors have support for it.

Also, I said PERSONALLY.

I’ve been looking at Roku devices, thinking that’ll be a good alternative. Does anyone have experience with them and advice on which I should consider?
I have a Roku that I purchased on amazon about 2 years ago. Can't recall the model number but one of the basic or least expensive ones. I've really been impressed with it. Basic apps like netflix and youtube are pre-loaded. Simple and quick to set up. Searching is a pain but you could buy a mini keyboard at a later date and that might help. Only thing I've noticed is it becomes very hot and out of abundance of caution I unplug it before leaving the house for weekends or trips. Plug and play when I return so easy to start up again. I also have a basic amazon firestick on another tv and while I don't mind it, the set up was more involved in that I had to download every app and this took a number of hours while each app queued. Maybe I got greedy and tried to download too much too fast. I recommended the Roku to my parents and they quickly took to it and both in their 70s. Easy transition from satellite tv. I also have a chromecast and while I like when traveling, would much rather have the Roku for simple point and click watching at home. Hope that helps and good luck with your choice.

I have an Insignia Roku TV that is the most user-friendly (and best overall) tv in our house. Unfortunately, Amazon has made a pronounced effort to turn all 3rd-party smart TV's into Fire TV's (which do not play as well with others as Roku's do), including Insignias, so I'm currently looking at the dwindling supply of Sharp Roku TV's for my next one. I have always been an Amazon fan, but their zero-sum practices in dealing with competitors is really turning me off.

I'm dying to get the 3-pack on Nov 12...but if it doesn't support Amazon Fire, I may hold off...since all my tablets are Fires, I run the Fire stick in my upstairs bedroom tv (and the only place I could actually use the service is through my kids' PS4-linked tv, since the Switch-linked tv also won't work...one tv will not be enough for $12.99, and I'm not getting even more boxes:))...

I'm really hoping for Fire compatibility because I would get that bundle deal. We have a couple of Rokus, one on our projector in the basement and guest room, but I currently run a Fire Stick in the living room so really would prefer that compatibility. The tv does have Smart features but I generally hate smartTV versions of apps, buggy and weird a lot of the time, on my LG anyway.

I am from the Netherlands and we can use Disney + for free for the coming 2 months and I must say, i am really happy with it. Basically everything is on there, including extra's you normally find om dvds. There are some hiccups in the search engine but I am sure they will be able to solve these in the coming months. For €7 this is a bargain. :)

I am from the Netherlands and we can use Disney + for free for the coming 2 months and I must say, i am really happy with it. Basically everything is on there, including extra's you normally find om dvds. There are some hiccups in the search engine but I am sure they will be able to solve these in the coming months. For €7 this is a bargain. :)
super jealous!! thanks for the info!

So pulled the trigger and purchased Disney Plus using the Visa promotion. Took the 3 year option. What I will really be interested in is the gross revenue reported by Disney for the Disney+ in the next quarterly report. They most likely will not state the number of subscribers, but by looking at gross income it will be possible to come up with a very rough estimate.

Likewise, I am also impatiently waiting for FireTV support. If not, I'll be getting a Roku before the start date.

I have a Roku, have never had a fire stick.

This isn't aimed directly at you, but there seems to be a lot of pushback from the fire stick users. I understand the fire stick doesn't support Disney+ at this point, but why does that preclude you from getting it?

I think Rokus are about $20ish when they go on sale, which is often. Is it just a matter of principle?

I'd just go buy a fire stick if Roku didn't support Disney+.

Disney+ just seems so awesome I wouldn't want to miss out.

I have a Roku, have never had a fire stick.

This isn't aimed directly at you, but there seems to be a lot of pushback from the fire stick users. I understand the fire stick doesn't support Disney+ at this point, but why does that preclude you from getting it?

I think Rokus are about $20ish when they go on sale, which is often. Is it just a matter of principle?

I'd just go buy a fire stick if Roku didn't support Disney+.

Disney+ just seems so awesome I wouldn't want to miss out.

In my particular case, my TV in my living room is mounted above the fireplace. I have a few wires running inside a trim piece on the mantel, where they run over to built in shelving where my turntable, receiver and DVD player are. The fire stick just plugs into the back of the TV removing needing to open the mantel piece, run a new wire and recaulk it, which is what I would have to do if I had a Roku in here. The other alternative is a Roku stick, but they are so slow and I hate them (I have one, it's why we bought the Fire Stick to replace it). I have Rokus elsewhere in the house, just not the living room for these extremely specific reasons, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!