Disney hating husband with social anxiety

thatgirl

Earning My Ears
My sweet absent minded professor husband was invited to present at a conference next month in Orlando. Since it's been almost a decade since I've been, I decided this was the perfect opportunity to tag along and get my Disney World fix.

He historically doesn't like Disney because he thinks they are out to separate you from your $. My reaction was "Darling, who isn't? 🙄." Don't ask me how a Disney obsessed person ended up with someone who hates Disney. He's cute, smart, kind and funny, the no Disney thing is one of very few flaws. 😍

So after a very serious conversation (at least on my part) about stealing my sunshine, he's agreed to get all the griping out of his system between now and then and try behave while we are there (this is a fun month right now, let me tell you 🙄😂.) He's even agreed to add a few extra day's onto the trip so he can come to the parks with me some. He hasn't been since he was a very young child, and the only park built at the time was the Magic Kingdom, so he has NO IDEA how amazing it is and how many things there are to see and do. Our plans are to do Animal Kingdom the first day (he's a licensed falconer who loves animals and used to volunteer at the zoo in the city we used to live in so I thought that would be a good re-introduction to Disney), Let him sleep late/Disney Springs and Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party the second day (my theory is, the less time he has to wait in lines, the better. Worse comes to worst I'll just feed him trick or treat candy until he's happy 😂), I'm on my own for the next two day's while he's at the conference and then one more day with him and because he's a foodie, the Epcot Food and Wine Festival the last day, which is a Monday and hopefully won't be too busy.

I have everything planned out and fast passes/dining reservations/rest time all orchestrated to cause him the least amount of hassle and stress. I even ordered quick dry shorts/socks and skivvies so he doesn't get uncomfortable walking around wet after water rides. I'm going to make this look easy if it kills me, lol. I really want him to have a wonderful time and finally see what I see in Disney. The only problem is, he has social anxiety. Not always, he's really gotten a handle on it, but it does pop up at the least expected and usually worst times. Sometimes when he's in large crowds or in unfamiliar situations....sort of like our entire trip will be. I'm braced for it and want to make sure I can give him what he needs when/if it happens before it turns into a full blown panic attack. I haven't been to Disney World in ages, so I'm not sure where the quiet places in the parks are anymore.

Does anyone have any suggestions of quiet, out of the way places in each of the parks that I can take him to if it get's to be too much. Usually removing himself from the situation and chilling out for 20-30 minutes does it and he's ok again. Having that time to get away from the stress is crucial though. Once it get's past a certain point, he's done for the day. I really don't want that to happen on our trip so I want to go in prepared with a rescue plan securely in place. Thanks in advance for any help/pointers/suggestions you can give me! 💖

Last edited:
You sound so considerate! I hope he appreciates what you are doing for him!

In MK, the Peoplemover, Hall of Presidents, Carousel of Progress are all quiet, slow rides/shows that don't have lines and aren't busy and can give him time to cool down. Epcot has Living with the Land that is a nice quiet, not very busy ride. Hope all goes well!

At the MK the bathroom in tomorrow land and the ones buy 7DMT tend to be my go to area for quiet. All parks have first aid where you can go to Lie down ( your /he) will need to say why your there a quick I have anxiety and I need to be a line for 20-40 minutes

Can he do anything to help like wearing a hat to block his vision of other when in crowds or listening to music

Most parks have show that tend to be less crowded that you can normally hope right on the next one ( carousel of progress , Hall of president , The tiki room to name a few at the MK. AK has the festival of the lion king and finding Nemo

He might like Carousel of Progress. The animal exhibits at Animal Kingdom are relatively quiet, as is the aquarium at Epcot. For him I'd focus on staying at a nice hotel, where he can retreat to relax in peace when he gets overwhelmed.

Don't expect the Halloween party to be low-crowd or to have short ride waits. We found neither to be true last year. It was loud, packed and hard to navigate. A person who dislikes crowds wouldn't have been happy there.

Last edited:
What time of year are you going - it might change some of the locations some but these are what stood out for me at each park:
  • HS - the walkway by ABC Commissary. There's people moving around but mostly just walking by. It was a nice time out location for us. If we are hungry we can pop into the Commissary to get something to eat and either eat inside or outside.
  • AK - The Dinoland area has a few different areas with benches. Some were back by Dinosaur and that was a nice spot to stop and take it all in.
  • EP - If there is no band playing the garden's in the UK are very nice. In Japan, there is a room outside the shops at the back of the pavilion that has exhibits. This is a nice air conditioned area that is usually very quiet. Morocco is usually pretty quiet too ( the band plays to the one side of the pavilion area. We love walking through the shops. As a note, the shops can be small so if that is an issue stick to the 'street' outside the shops in the back. In Future World, the area outside guest services is always quiet.
  • MK - as long as it's not parade time there are 2 locations on Main Street that are really nice for relaxing and taking in the sites ( the rocking chairs outside Tony's and the side street near Main Street Jewelers ). The walkway near Cinderella's fountain and the walkway near the Wishing Well are great to stop and smell the roses.
So as a note regarding the MK, HEA is a widely popular show. The main areas near the castle are ridiculous, people are elbow to elbow. I'd recommend either purchasing one of the dessert parties so you have a decent spot ( although still crowded ) or view from near the Crystal Palace. When we were there, the Crystal Palace area was less crowded so we didn't feel too boxed in. In some areas the viewing is limited but if you get there early you can scope out one of the better spots. If you don't care about the projection on the castle and just want to watch fireworks, we found some great spots in Tomorrowland near Auntie Gravities and from behind the castle near Pinocchio's Village Haus.

In the MK Tom sawyers islands not bad, and the liberty riverboat is pretty peaceful. Epcot has the Morocco museum which is always empty and the Norway museum, also the English gardens are nice and quiet usually. Hope you guys have a great trip!

Having recently been to WDW with someone who has social anxiety my strong suggestion would be don't take them, it is just irritating and ultimately a waste of time and money.

It simply isn't possible not to have to deal with the presence of huge numbers of strangers at WDW.

Go somewhere else with him that you will both enjoy and go to Disney with someone who can handle social contact and busy areas.

A few thoughts in no particular order lol!
  • Depending on your funds - there are some expensive options that would get you and him away from the crowds. If there are any "After Hours" events at the parks it could be worth it - you might take a look at those and see if there's enough there he and you would be interested in.
  • You might look at booking the dessert parties - you'd get a special viewing area for whatever (HEA, the Halloween fireworks, Epcot evening show, etc.). I've done that just to get away from the crowds.
  • There are some behind the scenes tours at AK - not sure if they showcase the falcons though. And other tours at MK and Epcot.
  • The ultimate would be to go one of Disney's tours using their tour guide service. There are VIP tours you can take with other people or you could hire your own Disney plaid tour guide: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/ . Those are expensive with the private tour guide being the most expensive.
  • Finally, I'm also married to a Disney hating husband. I've tried about everything to make his trips more pleasant and interesting but in the end I'm not sure any of it had a positive effect other than making me anxious (he does not have social anxiety at all - he just hates Disney - lol). At some point it is hard to enjoy something yourself when you're just all wrapped around the needs of another person trying to make them happy and hoping they'd enjoy it a little bit or at least not hate it. Hopefully you will have success and he will have a good time but pretty much that has to come from within him. Don't blame yourself if that doesn't happen for any reason - we just don't all like the same things.
  • Another thought is to look for some videos of live streams (previous or upcoming) at F&W festival to see how crowded it is. Epcot just always seems crazy busy with long lines for the food, etc. I like ResortTV1 on youtube - family friendly. They were just at the F&WF Tuesday night live streaming and watching them walk through the park and the crowds was giving me that ugh feeling. They were there to see the new merchandise but afterwards they walk over to try to get into the Eat to the Beat concert - it's a good look at the crowds. I don't know if I can post the link here - maybe I'll try to message it to you.

Last edited:
The Nomad Lounge at AK is quiet and has comfortable seating. It's a great place to cool off, unwind, and have a drink or two.
Our last trip we took refuge in the little courtyard behind the Liberty Tree and the Christmas Shoppe. It was right before Christmas and the crowds were insane, but there was nobody back there but us. We sat on a bench for a while and it was lovely.

First aid places at each park are quiet.

He might try earplugs. It’s amazing how less peopley the parks seem when it’s all muted.

At some point it is hard to enjoy something yourself when you're just all wrapped around the needs of another person trying to make them happy and hoping they'd enjoy it a little bit or at least not hate it. Hopefully you will have success and he will have a good time but pretty much that has to come from within him. Don't blame yourself if that doesn't happen for any reason

Yes.

My hubs is like this too but honestly with crowds and sunshine. He hates being in bright places and will get more and more anxious until I get him out of the sun. I tore apart the parks last time trying to perfect a good strategy for getting him away from people and into the dark but what did it best was a lot of the attractions people mentioned. He loved Tiki Room, the haunted mansion, the people mover, Living with the land, and Spaceship Earth. SE ended up being the thing that won him over on a return trip. We skipped the parade, ate at off hours to avoid the very packed dining rooms, and booked a dessert party for a fireworks view and all those really helped. Fave chill out spots: darkrides in MK and philharmagic which was never crowded at all, The animal trails in AK and the paths around the tree of life. Loved Satuli canteen too as during off hours there's lots of shade and space, the films in the different countries in Epcot and the gardens which were super chill. I've heard the Halloween parties can be rough for crowds though I've never tried one.

Stay away from the popular rides. They will have the longest waits. Use restaurant table service meals to relax for a whille. Choose restaurants that are not buffet or character meals. First aid centers are a good retreat. Even a family restroom might help.

If you are staying onsite take advantage of extra morning magic hours to get into the park early. Take a mid day break and return later if you want.

Finally, you may just have to go off on your own and give him a rest.

Last edited:
You might also want to look at the DAS pass Thread on the DAS ( just read the first post all other are before the pass went into effect and just guessing and what all). It basically lets you wait the time you would be in line out of the line You / he will need to go to GR sand let them know his concerns for the line and why waiting out side the line would be better for him. No one here should tell you want to say it need to come from you ( or him) and they will not read dr note. It can be a really good tool if needed along with other things like taking bread when needed

I've heard the Contemporary resort hotel outside magic kingdom can be quiet. If you go upstairs. I think anyone can go there, even if your not staying there.

Also, maybe finding a distraction for him when it gets too crowded. Looking at a map, at the decorations, checking his phone. Or bring up a subject to talk about that he loves. Anything so he's not focusing on the crowd.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!