Disney for Alaska?

Balbar

Earning My Ears
We are interested in Alaska and just can't figure out the best plan. We love Disney cruising and our teen and young adults (family of 5, youngest is 16) LOVE the long transatlantic the most because they make friends, there is plenty to do, love the entertainment - basically the ship is the destination and then we get to see some cool stuff in Portugal and Spain toward the end - so my kids are there for the sea days, but do end up enjoying the sites, as well. However, I have read that for Alaska we should do one of the lines that goes to Glacier Bay. We did try the Royal Oasis once and it was fine, but my husband HATED the upselling and focus on shopping and my kids were quickly bored. We are willing to pay more upfront (within reason) for the "special area" of the ship if that helps the experience. We will pay for sodas before the cruise - stuff like that.....but we don't want to constantly be thinking about what everything costs once onboard. We nickel and dime our normal lives and Disney helps us escape that. And, of course, we want to see Alaska - but we aren't the kind of people that think we have to see it all to be happy either. I do imagine that we will only do this once, but going back is not out of the question. My question is for those who have done a Disney cruise and then done another line for Alaska (or Disney for Alaska.) Can you give me the pros and cons? Talk me into another line or talk me into Disney.....(my husband who could care less about characters or Disney shows is saying Disney because it's easy and there will be things we enjoy while not seeing Alaska.) Also if someone has done Adventures by Disney Alaska and thinks that is the way to go - tell me why. We have never done an ABD. Thank you for your input!

I haven't been on Disney in Alaska, but we did Princess without kids. I loved Princess and would happily sail with them again. When we go with kids we will probably do Disney because the weather in Alaska is a crapshoot. Don't get me wrong, Alaska in any weather is gorgeous but when we sailed Glacier Bay with Princess it was so foggy we couldn't see any Glaciers. Therefore, for my family, we will prioritize the on board activities over a Glacier Bay activity, knowing that each inch of the coastline is scenic and we will have other Glacier viewing experiences on the trip.

We've chosen Princess in Alaska for several strengths of their itineraries, including the one-way itineraries (ability to spend extra time in Anchorage and visit Kenai Fjords National Park before the cruise) and the scenic cruising in Glacier Bay NP (my husband wants to visit all the National Parks.) We have busy port days, so even if there is not much to do on the ship for my 9-year-old on sea days, we'll be okay relaxing. Princess' North to Alaska programing also seems unique and like something we will enjoy. I'm sure we won't love it as well as Disney, but the itinerary just made sense for us.

Like the OP, we are interested in opinions on Alaska cruiselines. Our friends are wanting us to go with them in 2023 on the Crown Princess from Seattle, but the reviews for the Crown Princess are terrible. Ongoing engine problems (causing missed ports), plumbing back ups, medallion glitches, poor wifi, etc. My suggestion to anyone considering another line is know which ship you'd be sailing, and do a LOT of specific research and review reading. Your experience on bigger cruise lines varies tremendously depending on the ship.

Last edited:
You might look into some of the small cruise ship lines. Alaskan Dream Cruises and Uncruise might be worth looking into. Bring smaller ships, they can get closer to the glaciers and they include excursions, kayaking and DIB outings (durable inflatable boat). They don’t have all of the amenities of the larger ships, but they can stop and linger to view passing wildlife.

We did Alaska a few years ago with Disney. I have never sailed another cruise line (Alaska or otherwise) so I can't really give you much in terms of comparison.

With that being said - we LOVED our Alaska cruise. I feel like I got to see plenty of gorgeous glacier scenery between the glacier day of the itinerary (though if I were to do it again, I'd do the small boat excursion to get closer) and we also did a helicopter glacier excursion.

Compared to other Disney cruises we've done, we were a lot more excursion-heavy on Alaska. Normally we go very light on excursions and just enjoy the ship (as you said, the ship is the destination) but for Alaska, I think this is less the case. That said, there were things like the special Alaska-exclusive menu's that still made it feel like we were getting that Disney magic. Plus, you can't beat that Disney service waiting for you when you get back from a busy day.

You might look into some of the small cruise ship lines. Alaskan Dream Cruises and Uncruise might be worth looking into. Bring smaller ships, they can get closer to the glaciers and they include excursions, kayaking and DIB outings (durable inflatable boat). They don’t have all of the amenities of the larger ships, but they can stop and linger to view passing wildlife.
With teens I would look to the adventure cruise lines as well. Uncruise can actually overnight in Glacier Bay.

If you want bus expeditions and traditional cruise excursions, the adventure lines don't do that. But if you want to really see stuff, and are okay with fewer total passengers than would be in a kids club on a major line, they are great and the cost is comparable to Disney.

We have only sailed on DCL. We did an Alaska cruise in 2014 when my dd was 6 yrs old. She had a great time. We have done 8 DCL cruises and like your dh no longer care about the characters and have seen the shows many times. Although we like the Wonder, we've been on it several times so we wanted to try something new. I looked at several lines and booked NCL Encore for summer 2023. We were able to get a family club suite for less than an interior on DCL. Plus we got a lot of free perks like speciality dining, internet minutes, drink package, and 1 laundry service. My dd will be 15 yrs old so we also wanted a ship with more to do. The Encore has a race track, laser tag, escape room, and virtual reality arcade with a ton of games. Although each costs extra, it's not that much to do each thing at least once. You can buy different plans to play the stuff unlimited amounts. We aren't huge gamers, so we'll just do the stuff once or twice. They also have the usual free stuff like water slides and pools. I've heard good stuff about the teen clubs on NCL. The NCL Bliss is a sister ship to the Encore. Encore goes to Glacier Bay the Bliss does Dawes Glacier(I think). We're also excited to see new shows.

I can't imagine any cruise to Alaska is bad. HAL of course if the King of cruise lines to Alaska, they have been cruising there for 75 years and have all the best docking locations, glacier permits, and naturals. However, Alaska is just SOOOOO amazing, any cruise line would be a good choice. Both my Alaska cruises were on HAL.

Thank you everyone for the info! I feel like I have researched and researched and have changed my mind so many times about the best plan. I appreciate the help!

I would also look into either HAL or Princess and consider looking into their versions of concierge. We are a family of 5 and chose HAL this August. The cost for a DCL Alaskan cruise for the same week is 3x as expensive, in part b/c there are 5 of us so we need two rooms. I'm really looking forward to seeing Glacier Bay. I am sure there will be some attempts at upselling and shopping and such, but a savings of $8,000 ... that would pay for a lot of excursions...another cruise...etc.
Edit: i can understand the feeling of being nickel and dimed, but it's important (for me) to keep things in perspective. HAL wants to sell me a drink package for $350 for 7 nights (it also includes some shore excursion credit and some wifi and something else I can't remember.) I don't drink enough to justify it, but even if I did, and bought it, I'd still be coming in WAY under the DCL price, plus I"d have alcohol. Lol.

Last edited:
Disney in Alaska is a unique experience with kids that very few other cruise lines can match. Trust me, the kids will look at the mountains the first time, say 'oh, that's pretty', and then want to know what else is there to do. The only way to keep them engaged is either the ship or the excursions. Which will also allow you to enjoy the glaciers and the scenery in your own adult way.

If you are traveling without kids, you have many more options. Cunard and NCL both visit Glacier Bay, as do several small ships.

We avoid Princess and HAL in Alaska as they have had multiple criminal convictions for dumping in Alaskan waters. It's literally a matter of holding your nose while on those ships.

Disney in Alaska is a unique experience with kids that very few other cruise lines can match. Trust me, the kids will look at the mountains the first time, say 'oh, that's pretty', and then want to know what else is there to do. The only way to keep them engaged is either the ship or the excursions. Which will also allow you to enjoy the glaciers and the scenery in your own adult way.

Maybe, but OP's youngest kid is 16... I don't know that DCL is necessarily the right line for that age group.

If you are traveling without kids, you have many more options. Cunard and NCL both visit Glacier Bay, as do several small ships.

We avoid Princess and HAL in Alaska as they have had multiple criminal convictions for dumping in Alaskan waters. It's literally a matter of holding your nose while on those ships.

Have you sailed Cunard? My head is spinning trying to pick a line for Alaska. We love Disney, even with young adult children. But this trip is just me and my wife (she is doing it to please me, since she prefers warm weather vacations). Seeing Glacier Bay is a priority for me, I think, so Disney is probably out. What I like about Disney is the classic style, service, cleanliness, and pretty good food. If you have sailed Cunard, how do you think it stacks up? It looks pretty luxurious. I'm not too concerned about things to do on the ship, as much as a comfortable way to see Alaska with good food and service. Prices look pretty good for its 10 day in 2023 too.

Last edited:
Loved the Norwegian Bliss to Alaska. My girls loved it at the time ages were 15 and 11. There was lots to do including GoKarts. We did some great excisions--including dog sledding. Love the Beatles cover band and shows.

Sharing our experience since it fits the OP’s question.

Background - We are platinum with DCL and were when we tried Royal Oasis for the first time. Our impression, when we really looked objectively, was the lines were actually pretty similar. There were some positive and negatives for both but still gave the edge to DCL. The price is what swayed us to book Alaska on Ovation of the Seas. We really enjoy the veranda on cruises and for us that was a must have in Alaska with all the scenery. We compared and for the same price we could get a Grand Loft Suite (Star Class) as opposed to a balcony stateroom on Disney.

We are happy to give more details about our experience, but if you are truly open to looking at options the other lines are all viable options over Disney. On the other lines you could always do a higher class cabin or budget more to your excursions. All the lines sailing there are possible but with teens, Holland and Princess might be skewed a little toward an older demographic. Norwegian would be a little closer to Royal as far as onboard activities. DCL would still be fine but you will probably find more bang for your buck with someone else, just understand it may have some differences and a different vibe.

Following this thread as my best friend and I are looking into doing an Alaska cruise in 2023. No problem splurging on the cost but she’s never been to Disney so idk if she’d “get” it (I’ve also never done a Disney cruise so maybe I don’t either.)

You may want to leave the children home when you go on an Alaska cruise. It is more relaxed. Most young adults would be bored.

But you know your children and what they would enjoy.

We love DCL and have sailed with them 8 times. We did the Alaska sailing with DCL years ago when my daughter was much younger and more recently (pre-covid) did a Princess cruise from Vancouver and one from San Francisco to Alaska. I'm not gonna lie. When I saw the Disney ship docked next to ours, I did wish I was on it. We have always loved the service and extra little touches on the Disney cruises.

However, I really wanted to do the sailing from SF because I had heard so many great things about Glacier Bay. This is just one family's opinion, but Glacier Bay was not what we expected. We were so far from the shoreline that we didn't see much wildlife. The icebergs were pretty far too. The other two cruises went into Fjords (I think Tracy Arms) and because it was so narrow we saw more wildlife and the scenery/icebergs were just more dramatic. The SF trip was longer and we found it more relaxing with the extra sea days. The naturalists on the Princess cruise ships were also top notch! I will say that the excursions really made the trip! The first time we went, we did all the more common ones. Because we had done the standard checklist of excursions, it let us explore some other excursions that we had not heard of before and they were awesome! The two highlights were the floatplane to Taku Lodge and the Chilkat River jet boat. On the jet boat we saw an abundance of wildlife - even a spirit bear! If the shipboard service and experience are important to you, I would go with DCL, but if going with Princess means you have more money so spend on the pricier excursions then I would go with Princess.

Have you sailed Cunard? My head is spinning trying to pick a line for Alaska. We love Disney, even with young adult children. But this trip is just me and my wife (she is doing it to please me, since she prefers warm weather vacations). Seeing Glacier Bay is a priority for me, I think, so Disney is probably out. What I like about Disney is the classic style, service, cleanliness, and pretty good food. If you have sailed Cunard, how do you think it stacks up? It looks pretty luxurious. I'm not to concerned about things to do on the ship, as much as a comfortable way to see Alaska with good food and service. Prices look pretty good for its 10 day in 2023 too.
We did a transatlantic with Cunard (a while back) in the summer. Outside of holidays, their guests skew old with very few families. The itineraries have fewer ports and more sea days. The summer and the holiday sailings bring out a different vibe - younger adults and multi-gen families. And more mainstream itineraries.

The reason for them to be in Alaska in the first place is that a lot of their guests want to continue to sail with them. Like DCL in Europe. You will see more Brits and Europeans on board Cunard in Alaska than on other cruise lines.

If sailing without kids, a 10-nighter roundtrip with Glacier Bay in Alaska will be a very relaxed vacation. Just make sure to adjust your expectations in a way that you are not entirely reliant on the ship to make your vacation. Think of it as an upscale hotel coming alongside you from port to port in one of the most scenic parts of the world.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter