Disney eliminating plastic straws

Discussion in 'disABILITIES!' started by Hoodie, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Hoodie

Hoodie <font color=purple>Going to BC and GF with one wee

mamabunny, maxiesmom and Ben E N like this.
  2. Ben E N

Ben E N DIS Veteran

There will definately be those who will need to plan around this to account for specific needs, but I love this change overall. It could be worth asking Disney they will be providing items such as straws for those that have an actual need for them. Seems like it would fit into a disability plan. If not, I'm sure bringing your own is a fine option.

paisleys likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. DCLPrincess

DCLPrincess Gone to the Dark Side

It said plastic, do you think they will offer paper straws?

5. Hoodie

We tried paper straws - once. They fall apart too easily. He even chewed through a silicone straw. I have no issue tossing a package of 100 plastic straws in our backpack. In the grand scheme of planning with disabilities, it's one of the smaller annoyances. Just something else to add to the checklist.

6. marcyleecorgan

marcyleecorgan DIS Veteran

Paper straws are easy, you just pull them out of the drink when you're not drinking it. Otherwise they do get soggy ;) It's just a new muscle memory people have to get used to.

Don't all the kids' cups with glow-cubes come with a plastic bendy straw? We have several.... also we bought a fistful of Mickey-headed twisty straws as souvenirs for $0.90 apiece... not to mention the gift shops are FULL of cups that have straws as part of the tumbler...

I also stockpile all the single-use straws that I get at fast-food. I think I have about 3 Pringles cans' full of them. I try to make sure I have them with me, like my re-usable bags and my cutlery set and water bottle.

DoryGirl1963 and starry_solo like this.
  7. blondietink

blondietink DIS Veteran

It's not just about plastic straws, but also a lid on drinks that the straw goes through. My 28 year old son will spill every drink if he has to drink out of a paper cup without a lid and straw. Yes, I can bring my own straws, but they won't do any good unless the cup has a lid on it. I am going to contact guest relations to see what kind of substitute they are going to have for people who can't drink out of a regular cup without a lid and straw.

8. Hoodie

I was wondering what the replacement will be. You have a place that is supposed to be drawing the young crowd, including a TON of toddlers. If they don't have some option to cover the cup, Disney will be spending a lot of time cleaning up messes.

It does sound like they will have paper straws, so maybe the lids will stay.

VAfamily1998 and LongLiveRafiki like this.
  9. redberyl

redberyl Mouseketeer

My daughter can only drink out of one very specific sippy cup due to her disability. So I bring one everywhere we go. I don't see this as being any different. If you need a plastic straw or a cup with a lid, bring one with you

10. Hoodie

It's not the sogginess in the drink (although that is a problem ) it's that he's a chewer. That paper straw will be pulp within about 5 minutes.

It's not the reusable ones (like the Mickey heads or tumblers) that are being replaced. It's the single use ones. It's just adding another item to remember to bring with us.

TXAKDisneyFan likes this.
  11. powellrj

powellrj DIS Veteran

I have already bought steel straws. I don’t really like them, but I am getting use to them. I don’t have enough upper arm strength to hold a glass, lift up and drink out of it. I am old enough to remember when paper straws were all that were offered and I know I won’t be able to use them.

marcyleecorgan likes this.
  12. maxiesmom

maxiesmom The Mean Squinty Eye Works

They will not allow you to bring the plastic straws into the Animal Kingdom. They are banned from that park, and have been forever.

Maybe try the steel straws out and home and see if those work.

13. maxiesmom

Why not figure it out ahead of time? You can easily buy a glass with a permanent lid and straw and bring it along. I'm not trying to be mean, and I'm sorry if it is coming across that way. But I wouldn't depend on Disney to try and fix this for you. I'd be proactive and find out what works before heading to the parks.

14. DLgal

DLgal DIS Veteran

I'm already having trouble finding plastic straws to purchase at Target. They have been out of stock recently and we are running out. I think this whole ban is so stupid and based on sketchy statistics. My kids are also autistic and have a really hard time drinking without straws. Those Mickey bendy straws they have at WDW are TOO NARROW and actually harder to use than a regular straw.

We were upset to find out that there were NO straws at either of the water parks, except the Mickey one for purchase, which is stupid because what are we supposed to do with the straw when we are done eating and want to go back to the rides? It ends up in the trash regardless. And I'm sure those aren't recyclable...

They could have at least offered paper straws, but they didn't.

15. maxiesmom

Look up what the straws do to sea life. I'm all for the ban. There are many substitutions out there.

It is pretty stupid that they didn't have the paper straws at the water parks. I wonder what the thought is behind that?

16. kay1864

kay1864 DIS Veteran

Then you'll have to leave AK off your list. From Disney's list of prohibited items:

Balloons and plastic straws are not permitted in Disney's Animal Kingdom Park for the safety of our animals.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/park-rules/

17. Hoodie

We don't ever eat inside Animal Kingdom for that reason. We do however eat at Rainforest Cafe there - which has plastic straws.

18. gap2368

gap2368 DIS Veteran

DisneyOma and marcyleecorgan like this.
  19. Luv Bunnies

Luv Bunnies DIS Veteran

My 23-year old son w/Asperger's can drink out of a regular cup with no problem. He just prefers to drink with a straw and I could see his anxiety building yesterday when he read about the ban. I'm planning to pack a couple of hard plastic straws. We used them at home all the time. We can easily wash them in the restroom sink and I'll keep a ziplock in my bag to store them. Should be easy enough and it will be one less thing for my son to worry about.

Kate_45, DisneyOma and marcyleecorgan like this.
  20. sarahatthesea

sarahatthesea Earning My Ears

Will you let us know what you find out?

21. maxiesmom

I wonder if it will though going forward.

marcyleecorgan likes this.