Disney Dolphin or Hilton at WDW?

sneetch

Mouseketeer
Staying in Disney at POFQ for 5 nights 8/21-/8/26 with mother, sister, and niece, but decided to extend our vacation and fly into Orlando on 8/19. So I need to get a hotel for the two nights we're not in Disney. I decided that even though we don't intend on doing any of the disney parks until our disney vacation officially begins, I'd still like to stay in the Disney area, cause it seems like a nicer, safer, area in my opinion. So I'm thinking of either the Hilton at Walt Disney World or the Dolphin. The Hilton is about $55 cheaper per night, but I've never stayed there so I don't know if it's as nice as the Dolphin. I've stayed at the Swan, which I'm assuming is similar to the Dolphin. It was a nice hotel, but I don't know if it's really worth the price. I do like the idea of the heavenly bed, I stayed at a Westin before, and really enjoyed that bed. Does anyone have an opinion about either of these hotels?

We have never stayed at the Swan or Dolphin, but we have stayed 3 times at the Hilton WDW (most recently in Feb). We have loved it each time--and the new beds are very comfortable. The location is great--we walk right to DTD each nite and often have a park-break in the middle of the day for swimming and shopping. And of course, you still get the Extra Magic Hours. Do you have any Sheraton or Hilton points? We save HHonors so that makes the room free and we are upgraded to a towers room with free breakfast and snacks for the kids. Have a good trip! :thumbsup2

I'll just pop this down to the other Board for you:)

Hopefully we'll get a review about the Hilton soon:) If you stay there, and would like to post a review about it when you get home, that would be great!!! :thumbsup2

Have a wonderful trip!!

:sunny:

PS...both hotels are wonderful, but I'd have to go with onsite - just for ease of transportation :goodvibes

How many Hilton Honors rewards points does it cost to stay in a room during regular season? Just curious. Maggie

They do not have seasons like Disney properties. The amount of points relate to the category of the property. The Hilton at WDW is a category 6 which is 40K points per night (you can get 6 nights for 175K if you are a Hilton VIP.) www.hiltonhhonors.com explains the point system well.
My husband travels a bunch for business so we target Hilton properties (which includes Hampton Inn) and then we always stay for free at Disney. It certainly gives us more money to spend at the parks (and for my obsession with Disney snow globes!) :goodvibes

... And this is why we target Starwood properties, because 40K Starwood points buys you 5 nts at the Swan or Dolphin. (10K/night, with a 5th night free if you use points for 4 consecutive nights. Also, no blackouts on point stays.)

I've stayed at the Swan and Hilton, but it's been too long ago for my memory to serve me well.

I would think that this decision would be more about location, location, location. If Downtown Disney would be a frequent destination during that time I would stay at the Hilton. If the Boardwalk (and other Epcot resort attractions) appeal to you more, the Dolphin.

As far as the point comparison, they are totally different programs. You can earn 10 points per dollar at Hilton properties vs 2 points per dollar at Starwood--thus it takes more Hilton points to stay for a night. It probably balances out close to the same but you can't compare it just point for point. Also, I have no black out dates and am guaranteed award availability at the Hilton properties. We do have some Starwood points too, but there are many more Hilton/Hampton properties where my husband travels so it is easier. They also let you transfer American miles to HHonors points so we just drive to Disney instead of fly and use the points for the hotel.
www.flyertalk.com has a good comparison of all the reward programs if anyone gets interested (warning-collecting points gets addicting especially when planning for Disney!) ;)

I haven't stayed at the Hilton but I really liked the Dolphin. The best part is the food options and boat transportation to MGM and EPCOT - that is really convenient!

I have stayed at both...

For overall hotel rooms I like the Hilton better.
For location I like the Dolphin....

For $55 a night I would probably go with the Hilton without any hesitation.

The SWAN/ DOLPHIN
Do you have small kids? - stay at the Swan/Dolphin for the WATERSLIDE
Do you like to go out at night? - the broadwalk is right there
Do you love Epcot and MGM? - the boat!
The resort is very pretty - but $55.....hmm...

HILTON
The hilton was disappointing to me last time I stayed there. Disney would not accept them as a disney hotel and they made me pay parking..they may have changed this by now.
The hotel has had some renovations since the hurricanes so it may be better but I didn't think it was that great. But for $55 - I would probably go for it... that's a lot of meals and souveniors. I would call and make sure that they are still a disney hotel and that DISNEY transportation is available to you - not hotel, ticket center transportation.

If you have the entertainment book (12.99 on the net) the restaurant there (Finn's) has a coupon for 2 for 1 dinners at the Hilton - it is an expensive place but because of that it is not too crowded. (about 26.00 off your bill) - the book has printables for Ghiradelli's in the Marketplace and several hotels and restaurants in that area.

since you are flying - I would stay near the airport so you can use DME.....

okay I am cheap!!!

most of the airport hotels have shuttle back and forth to the airport.

you can probably stay in the airport at the Hyatt for about the same price - might be cheaper....

neither the Swan nor Hilton participate in Disney's Magical Express -you must stay in a WDW resort room or SOG.

We are staying off property the first 2 nights as well, same dates. I went on priceline and ended up getting the Hilton for $65 per night plus fees, bringing it to about $81 per night. Why don't you try that, that would save you even more. We have stayed at the Hilton before, and thought it was fine. It is within walking distance to Downtown Disney, and you can catch a bus from there if needed.

The Dolphin is great, but if you aren't going to the parks those day I'm not sure if it's worth the extra $$$. The Dolphin is actually much closer to Epcot and MGM (walking/boating distance) than POFQ and most other Disney resorts.

sacher430 said:
We are staying off property the first 2 nights as well, same dates. I went on priceline and ended up getting the Hilton for $65 per night plus fees, bringing it to about $81 per night. Why don't you try that, that would save you even more. We have stayed at the Hilton before, and thought it was fine. It is within walking distance to Downtown Disney, and you can catch a bus from there if needed.

I've only used priceline one time. Could you let me know how many stars the hilton was & what your bids were?? Was your first bid for $65 or did you try lower ones first. And how long ago did you get this price.

Thanks,

I have stayed at both. The beds at both are very comfortable, and the rooms are great. I echo the previous poster who said location is the key. If you want to be within walking distance of EPCOT and the Boardwalk and you don't want to pay for parking at the parks, the Dolphin is your best bet. We recently stayed at the Hilton and had a blast walking to Downtown Disney in the evenings. They had a kids dance party the two nights we were there that was fabulous. :banana:

I just got the Hilton for fourth of july week (one night 7/7) for $75 plus fees. Since it was high season I thought this would be a great deal, later learned I saved about 11 dollars from their internet direct rate (Hilton.com). I would go with the hilton website where you are able to get specific requests added to the reservation. I got stalled trying to do it with a priceline reservation, not sure if this is the case at all times. I have read good reviews of the HIlton but if non-smoking/etc are important it might be a concern to book through priceline.

I love the Swan and Dolphin. However, if you aren't going into the parks, no point paying $55 more plus $8/day to park at the Dolphin.

As to Hilton HHonors points vs Starwood points - the Starwood Preferred Guest AMEX card is wonderful when using the points for hotel stays because of fewer points needed for a free night. We also have a Marriott Rewards Visa, and we earn 1 point per dollar charged, just as we do with the Starwood AMEX. However, a free night at a Marriott property requires many more points than a free night at a Starwood property.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter