(Disney Dining Plan Ignorance) Are you're credits available right away, even prior to check in?

Reuben Varzea

Earning My Ears
I feel like all I'm asking is stupid questions, but I'm still a newbie... my apologies nevertheless. :)

We are checking in on a Tuesday, but will be in the area in the days prior (visiting my folks). If we go to, say, Disney Springs in the morning just to walk around and grab a bite, can we start using dining plan credits straight away, or do they only become available at check-in?

I feel like all I'm asking is stupid questions, but I'm still a newbie... my apologies nevertheless. :)

We are checking in on a Tuesday, but will be in the area in the days prior (visiting my folks). If we go to, say, Disney Springs in the morning just to walk around and grab a bite, can we start using dining plan credits straight away, or do they only become available at check-in?

Your dining plan is tied to your resort stay, so they are not available until your check-in day.

They will be available on your check-in day. If you have trouble, you can just go speak to a Cast Member at the front desk of your resort. If you are worried about getting in before your room is ready and still being able to have a snack or a meal, you will be able to.

If you're interested, we recently published a complete guide to the DDP here: http://www.disneybyage.com/disney-dining-plan-guide-tips/

Thx for the replies!

I know it wouldn't be available prior to the day of check in. I just wasn't sure it would be available prior to checking in THAT day. Very helpful to know we can grab lunch that day and be covered.

Thx for the replies!

I know it wouldn't be available prior to the day of check in. I just wasn't sure it would be available prior to checking in THAT day. Very helpful to know we can grab lunch that day and be covered.

If you do online check in ahead of time, you'll be checked in as of that morning. With the way the resort stays are set up now, you no longer have to visit the front desk to check in.

If you do online check in ahead of time, you'll be checked in as of that morning. With the way the resort stays are set up now, you no longer have to visit the front desk to check in.
We discovered last visit that even with online check in, your DDP credits are not available until you get a room number assigned to you.

We did use credits this past week before we received our room number text. We checked in before 7AM at the desk and headed to EMH. Had a snack and then lunch before we got a text around 1:00 with our room number.

We did use credits this past week before we received our room number text. We checked in before 7AM at the desk and headed to EMH. Had a snack and then lunch before we got a text around 1:00 with our room number.
Going to the desk will also activate your credits. But if you skip the desk and rely on online check in they may not be available right away.

Would be nice to nail this one down. The way our flights are working out, we may arrive early on check in day, perhaps around 10:30am, and would be nice to begin using our credits for lunch, especially since we're a large party.

Would be nice to nail this one down. The way our flights are working out, we may arrive early on check in day, perhaps around 10:30am, and would be nice to begin using our credits for lunch, especially since we're a large party.
I'm pretty sure if you go to the desk you can get them activated. I would do that to be safe.

And, now that I think about it, we'll probably use Magical Express, so I'll be checking my luggage in anyway before we park hop.

FYI, last week we checked out of BLT and had done online checkin at GF with our deluxe dining plan. When we go to MK for breakfast, our dining plan did not work. We had to have BLT call GF and change our online checkin time to 7am for the credits to kick in. So choose the earliest checkin time you can, no matter when you plan on showing up.

This is imperative info! Thank you for asking here! I had been told you could use them that day. We're switching from AKL to TBC and do not plan on going to TBC until after lunch at Sci fi. Totally plan on using dining credits before visiting TBC. Wow, I'm not sure how to handle this now as I really don't want to take the time in the morning to go to TBC before rope drop. I guess I could see if AKL can call TBC??

This is imperative info! Thank you for asking here! I had been told you could use them that day. We're switching from AKL to TBC and do not plan on going to TBC until after lunch at Sci fi. Totally plan on using dining credits before visiting TBC. Wow, I'm not sure how to handle this now as I really don't want to take the time in the morning to go to TBC before rope drop. I guess I could see if AKL can call TBC??

We had BLT call over to GF to activate the meals. So you should be able to do that. It was just particularly inconvenient because we were sitting in a restaurant at breakfast and I was making these phone calls. Luckily, my parents were still at BLT and hadn't left yet so they went to the concierge and had them do it.

I don't think that's the way it's supposed to be. I think you hit a glitch.

Happened to us too. We did online check in and drove straight to Animal Kingdom from the airport. Got there for opening, but couldn't get the mickey heads to turn green had to go to guest service window to get it all straightened out. We thought we were good and when we went to use dining credits to pay for lunch at Yak and Yeti, same thing happened. Some managers did some magic and got it to work. We were told it was because we hadn't gone to the resort first. This was a year and a half ago.

Is this the same as far as after your stay goes too? Meaning, I am booked for 3 nights, if my plan starts on the day that I check in, does it end on the day I check out or can I use my credits for 14 days like I can my park tickets?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter