Disney Cruises...The Wonder

UTCruiser

Earning My Ears
Hello! I am taking my children on a 7 night western Caribbean cruise on the Disney Wonder leaving Galveston, Texas next fall 2013. We leave the port, at sea for two days, than Jamaica, than Cayman Islands, than Mexico and than two days at sea and than back to Texas.

Here is my question: It was my mistake, but I'm somewhat sad that we won't be able to experience Castaway Cay. I really, really wanted to try it out but I guess it can be saved for another time.

#1) Can I have a overall good trip without the Castaway Cay?

Also

#2) When looking at excursions on the ports - I seen many different beaches I can pay for the kids and I to go and lay around in. However, I was wondering if I have to pay in order to go to a beach or if those ports have free public beaches we can go on right on the port?

I am brand new to cruising - this will be my first cruise and I'm confused at all this. Thank you!

We sailed on the Wonder out of Los Angeles three times with no Castaway Cay and it was fantastic.

Most beaches are public and you can go yourself if you arrange your own transportation. To double check, google each port or the beaches listed on the excursions.

Not sure if you're tied into the specific week that you currently have booked for your cruise but they are running 2 7-night itinieraries out of Galveston next fall, alternating each week. The other itineary stops at Key West, Castaway Cay and Nassau. My husband loves Castaway Cay so I made sure we booked that itinerary. So if you have you're heart set on Castaway Cay and are tied to the week you currently have booked due to school schedules (you mentioned talking your children, not sure of their age) or other travel arrangements already booked you are still far enough out to switch :goodvibes

We've done 2 cruises on the Wonder- no Castaway Cay. We love the ship soooo much we went out of our way to book our next 2 cruises on it, regardless of the itinerary. We were just looking for specific dates!
I think you can have a wonderful time even if you never ever leave the ship!

We've done 4 DCL cruise with no Castaway Cay. It's not life or death even though it's an awesome island.

We loved both our DCL cruises. One went to CC. One was a Galveston cruise this past November. No CC, but its been my favorite cruise thus far.

I agree with everything people have posted. I also suggest you research your ports through a website called Trip Advisor. They have lots of information about each of your ports. I haven't sailed to Jamaica since they started using the port at Falmouth. Our family loved the Jamaica excursion to Dunn River Falls. It is an awesome family activity! We had wonderful snorkeling at Grand Cayman. Cozumel gives you the opportunity to introduce your children to some Mayan culture.

Enjoy your cruise!

We ended up booking a 5 night for my birthday in 2014 today even though I swore I was booking nothing at the prices (then was blown away by the price for that one). It is also bypassing CC so I called my husband and asked if he would rather visit CC again or do a different port - he said to heck with CC, go for the itinerary over my actual birthday.

We've been there twice. Its a nice beach. You can do beachy things there and there are no locals to bug you (aside from the cast members who live there of course). The food was downright bad the second time compared to the food on the ship and I have been to much better beaches elsewhere so I just don't "get it". Our first time there was fun, but it had been a 4 night with only one other stop so sunny beach in February was still novel. This last was a 7 night itinerary - after two stops and lots of sea days we were over just lounging in the sun and felt bored. You will have a GREAT time without it! :thumbsup2

is the wonder coming to galveston? the classic ships are similar but i believe you may be on the magic?:confused3

i’m sure you will have a great time!

I've spent 21 days on the Wonder and never visited Castaway Cay. Had a blast! You will love the Wonder!

Question, in October how are the ships as far as the amount of passengers? Are the DCL ships in the fall usually still fully booked or are they a little more vacant?

DH and I just took our 1st cruise in October out of Galveston. Thought :rolleyes: we would really miss not going to Castaway ,but didn't had so much fun. Can't answer the question about public beaches, have heard there are some.

:woohoo: We have a Nov 30th 2013 cruise booked on the Wonder. The ship was full but not over crowded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter