Disney Cruise Line - DVC?

MDCruiser

Earning My Ears
We are DVC members, and we have heard that if we use our points with DVC and the price goes down on the sailing that we are booked on, that DVC does not lower or adjust our points accordingly.

Is this true? Has this happened to anyone else?

I do not think this is fair. If the price goes down on the original reservation before the final payment, shouldn't our points be given back to match the new lower fare?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

We are DVC members, and we have heard that if we use our points with DVC and the price goes down on the sailing that we are booked on, that DVC does not lower or adjust our points accordingly.

Is this true? Has this happened to anyone else?

I do not think this is fair. If the price goes down on the original reservation before the final payment, shouldn't our points be given back to match the new lower fare?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The points for a cruise are a set amount. Wither you book on the first day available or the last. What many members do is rent out their point an use the cash for another vacation such as a cruise.
We just got off a cruise we booked on points and I did not worry about the "fairness" of it. Just like non-DVC members get resort discounts and the DVC charts are set in stone the cruise costs a certain amount for points and that is that. I will say we had such a great time we re-booked on board and are renting out some points to pay for the next cruise. Also the fare tends to go UP not down. So the fact that the points are set no matter when you book is actually a positive.

Thanks for the reply - I am new to the boards.

I do think that it would be a very good incentive if the points were not set in stone when it comes to any of their reservations.

Example: When you book your reservation with points, on that day you are locked in so that if the price did go up you are protected at that rate. BUT, if the rates were to go down at the resorts or the cruise, then it should be retroactive to the guest.

Just like when you do book a cruise or hold a hotel reservation without using points.

There have been alot of changes with the DVC membership and I just think it would be a nice incentive to consider.

:)

I do think that it would be a very good incentive if the points were not set in stone when it comes to any of their reservations.

Example: When you book your reservation with points, on that day you are locked in so that if the price did go up you are protected at that rate. BUT, if the rates were to go down at the resorts or the cruise, then it should be retroactive to the guest.

Just like when you do book a cruise or hold a hotel reservation without using points.

There have been alot of changes with the DVC membership and I just think it would be a nice incentive to consider.

Ok, lots of people book cruise in advance, while we were on a cruise, we already had a future cruise booked with points, we were told once you get home, you have three days to call Member Services and you will get 10% of points back....and we did.

Something to keep in mind.

Robin & Angel "D" :thumbsup2

DVC sets the points required based on what DCL thinks the highest price will be on the cruise before it sails. DCL has a tiered pricing structure so that as categories sell the prices rise. DVC & DCL are not in the business to constantly adjust fluctuating point charts based on the cash price changes. So these fixed "prices" for points applies to both the points required and the cash cost per person if booked thru DVC if you pay for some people with points and some with cash. I once priced a cruise with points & checked on how much it would cost to pay for our DS in cash. The price was higher than if we booked the entire cruise on cash thru DCL or a TA. They explained to me then that the pricing was based on the highest price tier. If you can follow all that. :confused3 Generally speaking you'd be ahead of the game to pay for cruises with cash than points.

But if you paid cash and the price went down, you don't automatically get a refund. You can cancel and rebook to get the lower price. DCL won't just cut checks and hand out refunds because people paid more. The discounts are incentives to fill the ship. Think about the incentives WDW uses. Free dining, free nights... None of those apply to DVC either.

As a DVC member you are insulated from price increases but you do risk a drop. A fare that was $1400pp now costs $1650pp but either way is costs you ### points. While it sucks that you don't realize a reduction if the fare decreases, with DCL that is normally the exception and not the rule. Most cruises I've seen have gone up.

If the shirt price goes down and you have your receipt, most stores will give you the refund of the difference.

I do believe that for DCL it is better to go with cash than points. I guess our situation was different and we were cruising in December and the price dropped a nice amount. If we would have used cash DCL would have made the adjustment to our reservation.

For us, we will use our DVC for resort stays in the future, due to that is when we usually travel.

For others and other times of the year and sailings, the DVC might work better for those guests.

If the shirt price goes down and you have your receipt, most stores will give you the refund of the difference.

I do believe that for DCL it is better to go with cash than points. I guess our situation was different and we were cruising in December and the price dropped a nice amount. If we would have used cash DCL would have made the adjustment to our reservation.

For us, we will use our DVC for resort stays in the future, due to that is when we usually travel.

For others and other times of the year and sailings, the DVC might work better for those guests.

DVC is never a good use of points. I used points for our last cruise because I thought it was a one time thing and did not want the hassle of renting them out. We had such a great time we decided to cruise again so we are renting some points and it turns out it is no hassle at all. DVC is only a good deal at DVC resorts.

For me, the issue is not so much the value of the points as the lack of flexibility with a DVC booking. If I book with cash, up to the penalty date (normally 74 days before the cruise) I can make any changes I choose to at no cost--this includes changing dates, swapping names, or anything else that I may need to do.

If I attempt to do the same thru DVC, I get to pay another $95 reservation fee (that's one expensive phone call that they make!) If I have to cancel, the points go into a special category such that I can only use them in the Disney Collection.

There are some cruises that are a financially good deal if I value my points at $10 each--but they are few and far between, I agree--points are a better value when used at a resort.

And, back to OP, DVC does not adjust the number of points used regardless of the cash cost of the cruise. The points are based on an agreement between DVC and DCL and do not change for the duration of that agreement. With cash, again if before the penalty date, if I see a lower price and call DCL, they will honor the lower fare.

Actually I believe almost EVERY store in America has a 7-14 day (some even 21-30) price adjustment guarantee.

Yes, but it is not automatic. That is what the OP is talking about. If the price of a cruise goes down DCL does not reimburse you. You have to cancel and re-book once you figure out the price has gone down. And individual companies make their own policy. It makes no sense for a company to only sell something for the bottom price "to be fair". It is the rule of supply and demand.

Yes, but it is not automatic. That is what the OP is talking about. If the price of a cruise goes down DCL does not reimburse you. You have to cancel and re-book once you figure out the price has gone down. And individual companies make their own policy. It makes no sense for a company to only sell something for the bottom price "to be fair". It is the rule of supply and demand.

I agree...but I quoted and responded not to the OP.
Supply and demand and US stalking the prices popcorn::

It is my understanding that once the DVC points have been "converted to Cruise line points " (DCL words) you can not change them back. They must be used for a DCL sailing.

Have a happy day.

It is my understanding that once the DVC points have been "converted to Cruise line points " (DCL words) you can not change them back. They must be used for a DCL sailing.

Have a happy day.

They are not DCL points but "reservation" points. They can be used only for the Disney collection if I recall correctly. They can be used for more than just DCL, but yes they are severely limited if you need to cancel.

FWIW, I automatically got points back from Dvc when Dcl recategorized the room I was already booked in last year.

DVC is never a good use of points. I used points for our last cruise because I thought it was a one time thing and did not want the hassle of renting them out. We had such a great time we decided to cruise again so we are renting some points and it turns out it is no hassle at all. DVC is only a good deal at DVC resorts.

How do you "rent" points?
We used all points for our cruise in March. We had enough to borrow from the next year but it would be nice to know for future cruises.
Sometimes we can't use all our points (even after banking them) so we use them on DCL before we lose them.

How do you "rent" points?
We used all points for our cruise in March. We had enough to borrow from the next year but it would be nice to know for future cruises.
Sometimes we can't use all our points (even after banking them) so we use them on DCL before we lose them.

There is a rent/trade board here on the DIS
http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29

You can post points you would like to rent out there. You can also use "David's Vacation Club Rentals" He is a DIS board sponsor. You will see his banner ad on the rent/trade board. There are other places as well but I posted my points here on the DIS since I am so familiar with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter