Disney cruise injury

But why bother retrieving (or recovering) a body. Life happens. Play it as it lies, right?

Many people want/need to have their love one's body for a funeral/memorial service. Although I am a Christian, I personally don't care if my family has a funeral for me. I've told my family to donate my body for transplant/medical research. Whatever is left can be cremated. They can do whatever they want with the ashes, I don't care. I know a lot of people don't feel this way though.

Many people want/need to have their love one's body for a funeral/memorial service. Although I am a Christian, I personally don't care if my family has a funeral for me. I've told my family to donate my body for transplant/medical research. Whatever is left can be cremated. They can do whatever they want with the ashes, I don't care. I know a lot of people don't feel this way though.
You should look back at the quoted poster’s prior statements about why insurance is an unnecessary scam and how life happens, they aren’t accident prone, sickly people, etc., thus my “play it as it lies,” comment.

I'm not one to buy extended warranties or extra insurance for most things but I've started buying travel insurance for big trips. I'd hate to be out the money if we couldn't go but that wouldn't break us. My biggest reason is med-evac. There's been a handful of local people in the last couple years on the news raising money through gofundme to try and pay a hospital bill in another country before they could leave or pay for medical transport home. It's a small price for the peace of mind knowing if something went sideways we'd be covered. You just never know. The first time I bought insurance on flights (everything else could be cancelled) I was supposed to be 30 weeks pregnant at my brother's wedding. My daughter was born at 28 with only a couple days warning and I was in the hospital when I should have been traveling.

I don't cruise often, but when I do, I always purchase their additional emergency medical evac insurance. I simply consider it part of the cost, like the shore excursions.

I don’t expect the majority of people to agree with me! No problem. Most people today like to be reimbursed for every possible minute thing that happens to them. I don’t want to live like that. Our health insurance does cover out of country, but as I said it is very high deductible, so catastrophic. But we just have a different mentality. If I loose my $250 pair of prescription sunglasses from Costco, I am going to be a bit annoyed with myself but I am not interested in getting trip insurance so that I can hopefully break even with little filings. Just not the way we think. We like to live on the “edge” so to speak and take it as it comes. If the wheel on my luggage falls off I’m not interested in trying to get $100 from Disney or some insurance company. A lot of people want to be reimbursed for that. Not interested in getting reimbursed for the weather, etc. For us that’s just how life goes sometimes. My point to the OP is to let the $3000 or whatever it is go. Not worth a year of your life stressing yourself out about that stuff. Sometimes life doesn’t go your way. Just part of the game.

i used to think like you but I as I've gotten older and amassed more assets, I determined that I'm willing to let someone else gamble on my risk taking in order to protect my assets for my family. Plus, as others have said, the point is medi-vac coverage - If i or my family is injured, I want to be treated in the USA - not some **** hole hospital demanding cash up front before they do anything. I think the first time i bought it was for an extended trip to Atlantis - reading trip/injury reports convinced me of the need for supplemental coverage - now it's just a budgeted piece of every trip.

i used to think like you but I as I've gotten older and amassed more assets, I determined that I'm willing to let someone else gamble on my risk taking in order to protect my assets for my family. Plus, as others have said, the point is medi-vac coverage - If i or my family is injured, I want to be treated in the USA - not some **** hole hospital demanding cash up front before they do anything. I think the first time i bought it was for an extended trip to Atlantis - reading trip/injury reports convinced me of the need for supplemental coverage - now it's just a budgeted piece of every trip.

Are you sure they automatically bring you back to the USA?

If you are in the Eastern Caribbean that sounds a bit unlikely?

Are you sure they automatically bring you back to the USA?

If you are in the Eastern Caribbean that sounds a bit unlikely?
Depending on the medical problem, they pay for stabilization and then transportation into the US. I have a friend who is a pilot for a charter company G4 and G5. He says the insurance companies send a relevant medical team with them, they land as close to the foreign hospital as possible and the team goes to the hospital for pick up. Its a quick bounce back to the US. The last one he did was Fiji, but he does the Caribbean and Mexico frequently.

Where did you think people got medivac’d to?

Depending on the medical problem, they pay for stabilization and then transportation into the US. I have a friend who is a pilot for a charter company G4 and G5. He says the insurance companies send a relevant medical team with them, they land as close to the foreign hospital as possible and the team goes to the hospital for pick up. Its a quick bounce back to the US. The last one he did was Fiji, but he does the Caribbean and Mexico frequently.

Where did you think people got medivac’d to?
The nearest hospital? (That has the equipment they need to treat you?)

The nearest hospital?
So these are two different things. If you end up removed from the ship for a medical, you go to the closest hospital, which is probably not a place you want treatment. They package you and medivac ships you to the US. But you wouldn’t want to stay there is the point, thus insurance coverage to get you evacuated home for competent treatment.

So these are two different things. If you end up removed from the ship for a medical, you go to the closest hospital, which is probably not a place you want treatment. They package you and medivac ships you to the US. But you wouldn’t want to stay there is the point, thus insurance coverage to get you evacuated home for competent treatment.

Are those hospital that bad?

Lol. Yeah.
You can tour the hospital in Nassau. If anyone wants or needs a poverty reality check, thats a great one, especially the maternity ward. That hospital is vastly more metropolitan and updated as compared to some you’ll find. They do the best they can with what they have, but I wouldn’t pick the Caribbean or the Bahamas, or even Mexico to have a major medical incident.

And maybe even not that "bad" per se, but not all towns have hospitals that have every single type of service. For example, on the Alaska cruises, Skagway does not have a major hospital; Juneau and Ketchikan do have hospitals, though they are small compared to larger city hospitals that many people might be used to. Major trauma or a neurosurgical emergency or a premature infant needing NICU would all get transferred after stabilization, usually to Seattle. That transfer is by air.

Much as if you were in a small town in other parts of the United States, like major trauma or medical events that happen out in rural west Texas get transferred to larger cities for definitive care.

Lol. Yeah.
You can tour the hospital in Nassau. If anyone wants or needs a poverty reality check, thats a great one, especially the maternity ward. That hospital is vastly more metropolitan and updated as compared to some you’ll find. They do the best they can with what they have, but I wouldn’t pick the Caribbean or the Bahamas, or even Mexico to have a major medical incident.

Ok, like in some rural regions. I get it.

And maybe even not that "bad" per se, but not all towns have hospitals that have every single type of service. For example, on the Alaska cruises, Skagway does not have a major hospital; Juneau and Ketchikan do have hospitals, though they are small compared to larger city hospitals that many people might be used to. Major trauma or a neurosurgical emergency or a premature infant needing NICU would all get transferred after stabilization, usually to Seattle. That transfer is by air.

Much as if you were in a small town in other parts of the United States, like major trauma or medical events that happen out in rural west Texas get transferred to larger cities for definitive care.

Reminds me of my childhood village in the North where the closest hospital was an hour away and the equipment there was limited and serious cases had to be transferred by air to hospitals 6-7 hours away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter