Disney Club Closing??

Buzz2001

CSR MAN!!
I just read on the resorts board that the Disney Club is ending on 12/31/03. Has anyone heard any info on this or is there going to be a replacement to the club?

I heard this on diznewsplus (yahoogroup). No details just that it is closing.

IMO, with all the cuts, what did we really get for $40??

I'm not surprised. The new Visa card is supposed to have some sort of rewards, and that's supposed to unroll the beginning of 2003. I suspect we'll start hearing more about the CC soon.

I've had the Disney Club the last two years, with the Disney Magazine and the 10% discount at the Disney Store, I used it enough to make it worthwhile. And my very bad reason for renewing it last year, was it had the Mickey Self-Portrait picture on it, and that is my favorite picture. However, with the Disney Store changing it's focus and getting rid of adults, arts & collectibles I wasn't going to renew.

Too bad :(. We always use it for the discount on our AP's. Everything else was gravy. Is there any other discount you can get on AP's?

So the Visa Card has something to do with the demise of DC....

I was somewhat disappointed when I heard this; however, with discounts no longer being offered on the 4 and 5 day hoppers, the discount at DTD was the only reason for me to keep the card. Most of the restaurant discounts I get with my DVC card. Hopefully, the new visa card will have some great perks.

So what happens to people like me - we're booked for POFQ June 2003 using the Disney Club rate. My card expires April 2003. Can I still renew it for April-Dec 2003 so I can keep my lower rate? Or will my rate go back up? Grrr.....I hate it when Disney keeps changing the rules!

I received notificaiton today in the mail that the DC will close on 12/31/03. Benefits will continue through the expiration date on teh Membershi Card or December 31, 2003, whichever comes first. DC Membership applications will be accepted until December 12, 2002.

Amy,

If you want to renew, you have to do it by December 12, 2002. You will be charged the full price, it will not be pro-rated, so essentially you will be paying for Jan-April twice.

Another disney cutback!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Indeed it does:

The Disney Visa card will reward members with points that can be used towards Disney merchandise and vacations.

The full range of benefits are not yet known but allgedly will be better than the Disney Club ever offered (which is not saying much). However, you still have to spend money on the card to get any benefit. We will see what the Cost/Benefit analysis is on this card. Who knows if it will really be worth it...

I guess that means we should buy new ap vouchers before our card expires! LOL Not too much of a problem since we're good until next August...and we'll need them for next October.

I just renewed too...geesh.

The only real good it did me was the discount on the AP's...the DTD discounts we get as AP holders and the rest we get with DVC. So, no discounts on tickets anymore? Or will that be a perk for Disney VISA holders? I'm just hoping for a low introductory rate...if I could earn Disney points on the balance I have now....WOW! Somehow I'm guessing the rate will be pretty bad though.

"We do feel like we're developing a program that is going to be much better than the Disney Club."

Forgive me a moment's skepticism, but isn't this what they said when they replaced the Magic Kingdom Club? I think Verrier (the author of the article) is correct in pointing out that we, the fans, are feeling that Disney is out to squeeze every last dime out of us.

They claim that they won't charge an annual fee on the credit card... Anyone want to bet that (assuming Ei$ner & co. stay in charge) they add a fee later if the program is successful?

Sarangel

Actually I'm really sick over this one.

Remember all that talk about rewards for frequent customers? The one from the stock holders meeting with the Peter Pan example? It sounded like the point was to reward guests, not to force them into getting a credit card when a lot of people may not want to get one or get another one. I guess someone figured that the best way to market the new credit card was to eliminate the disney club so that people would have to get the credit card for rewards. We have amex, which we were glad to get because of white gloves tx., the wod discount, and the rewards program (points from purchases going to disney tickets, etc.). I don't mind the amex because you pay it off each month, but I have no interest in getting a revolving credit card! (I didn't intend a pun there). And what about the people who won't be able to get one even if they wanted to, because they don't have the credit rating - isn't it the case that cards with no annual fee require higher credit ratings? If so, aren't they shutting out some of those loyal customers?

"We have not forgotten these club members," Foster said. "We do feel like we're developing a program that is going to be much better than the Disney Club."

This is a bunch of crap. Requiring some one to get a visa card is not developing a program that will better serve club members! This is a way to get more profit out of people using the dang credit card! In two iterations we've gone from a free program to requiring people to buy and use a credit card to get discounts - what is next a pyramid scheme?

We bought into the disney club as soon as the canceled the old magic kingdom club that we were in for free. Look, we didn't really use the disney club card for room discounts (though I had my eye on the third night free at disneyland paris), and I know that if we manage to find something to buy at the disney store (not much of a chance anymore, I know) we can use the dvc card. I will miss the 1-800 number though, and the discount on AP's. I know that we can subscribe to the disney magazine without the club. We didn't need national car rental because we do better through state's contract ID, but I was interested in trying out some of the other Entertainment club discounts or whatever.

But what irks me is the pressure to get this freaking visa card - I see that as a pretty strong arm sort of tactic, when all the talk was about REWARDING loyal customers. What a load.

I wonder if the amex discounts and rewards will go away now as well. I hope somebody rethinks this junk.

DR

I hope they follow thru with rewards -- I remember when I first got the Disney Credit Card they sent a survey about what rewards we would like. They never implemented a reward program. Interesting to see they are going to a VISA Card.

Chipster I think it will be interesting to see if the disney credit card continues - if they are pushying the new visa, why do they need the disney credit card? I wonder what will happen -

DR

Time for those emails, letters and phone calls. If they thought people were upset about early entry, let them know before you have to get yet another credit card and then pay for a rewards program like every other credit card rewards priogram out there.:smooth:

Originally posted by d-r
if they are pushying the new visa, why do they need the disney credit card? I wonder what will happen -
My guess is if you already have a disney store credit card you will automatically get the new visa and the disney card will become obsolete. Many stores have a visa card now, instead of a store card. It makes CENTS, they get the interest on purchases not only at their store but at other stores as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter