• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Cancellation Policy Question

Mel2421

Mouseketeer
I was asking questions to a disney reservationist for our upcoming June trip. He said that we didn't need to buy trip insurance because we could cancel up to 5 days prior to arrival. Does anyone know what the written policy is and also has anyone had to cancel their trip?
Thanks,

Be that as it may, I always buy trip insurance anyway. WDW is not a cheap vacation by any stretch so I would rather pay $136 for trip insurance and be sure I am covered. If the weather gets bad, someone gets sick, etc. I would get most of my money back and be able to reschedule rather than just lose out. Compared to the cost of the vacation its a small price for piece of mind for me.

if you read carfully, the trip insurance also covers you for a trip in progress if you have an emergency at home you have to go home for. and yes I end my sentences with prepositions.

:goodvibes It also makes a difference in cancellation penalties if you have booked a room only reservation or a package and who you booked it through. From allears:

WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES IN TERMS BETWEEN A WDTC RESERVATION AND A CRO RESERVATION?
There are several differences in terms between CRO (12 digit confirmation numbers) and WDTC (8 digit confirmation numbers):

A CRO room only reservation - Cancellations up to the 6 day mark will have your deposit refunded in full. Cancellations after the 6 day mark will be charged the one night's deposit as a penalty. Any additional amounts that may have been paid on the reservation will be refunded in full. There is no time limit on when you can make modifications to an existing CRO reservation with no additional charge. This can be done right up to arrival.

A WDTC package (including the "room only" Basic Package) reservation - Cancellation between 6 and 45 days prior to arrival will result in a $100.00 fee. Cancellation 5 days or less will incur a $200.00 fee. Any change or modification of the reservation inside the 45 day mark will incur a $50.00 fee.

Also if you do decide to add insurance to a package you have to do it before final payment.

HTH! :cutie:

We booked a package through AAA for this last trip and ended up changing our plans so canceled the package about 45 days ahead of the trip, and got our entire deposit amount back. That being said I was going to buy trip insurance, just for my own peace of mind. The AAA agent recommended that I wait until final pmt because if I did have to cancel before that time the price of the insurance was not refundable. EX.If I put $200 down and paid for trip insurance $135. I would only get the $65 back. Whereas as in our situation we cancel before final pmt, and got our entire amt back.

I think though that what he told you about 5 days is for room only reservations. It is 45 days for packages, and I think room only through AAA is 30 days.

I hope that is clear as mud! :rotfl:

Very good info. I searched on the Disney World site and couldn't find anything. In all our previous visits, we've purchased vacation insurance, but luckily have never needed it. As you pointed out, the insurance covers incidents or problems during the vacation also. Question: would typical vacation insurance cover the Disney cancellation fee?

You cant purchase Disney's insurance on a room only anyway because of the 5 day cancellation policy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter