• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Buses or rental car with LO's?

staci

DIS Veteran
We have ALWAYS used the buses for resorts to parks. But this trip we are flying into Sanford and so we will have a rental, and are staying at POFQ.

With two little ones (and two volos and all the 'stuff' that comes with a 22mo old and a 4.5 year old) do you think it would be easier/more efficient/etc. to take the bus or drive the van?? Having never done the driving route, I just have no idea.

WHat has been your experiences?

I like to have my own car. We usually drive to the parks. I only have one little guy, but being able to store the stroller in the car saves a lot of room in our hotel! I also like being able to wheel him to the car and put him right into his carseat if he is asleep. He will stay asleep pretty well in his carseat, but holding him asleep on a bus gets tricky after a while! I just love having the car as a place to keep stuff like rain jacket, extra sweatshirts, etc... I can always send DH on a run to the car if we need something (happens rarely, but it has happened). I'm sure there are people with good arguments for the bus, too, but I"m a rental car girl all the way!

I just posted this on another thread. In my experience with my DDs, for Magic Kingdom, I would recommend the bus, there is no direct parking for MK, you would have to drive to TTC and then take the bus or monorail. The bus will drop you off just a few steps away from the entrance. However, for the other parks we always found it easier to take the rental car (with the exception of the one time we stayed at BC and could walk to EPCOT and boat to the studios)

:thumbsup2
Thanks ntink and labdogs!

So for all parks other than MK, would you say it is faster to use your rental car to get to the parks? I hate the waiting for buses at the resorts, but I also figure driving yourself will take time parking, and then walking from the lot up to the actual park.......

We always take the rental car, it's been easier for us, even at MK. We've never had to wait more than about 5 or 10 minutes to take the ferry across to TTC from Magic Kingdom. And if you child is asleep in a stroller on the ferry you just wheel them on and away you go to TTC.

We've been known to walk to our car is DD is asleep so we don't have to get her out of the stroller to get her on the tram.

I love having the car handy to have thing in or make a quick get away if DD melts down, plus there's no hoping that you'll get a seat or that the AC works, etc.

I actually prefer the bus. We are usually so tired at the end of the day that we take the tram to the car. So by the time you figure folding down the stroller for the tram- then getting to the car and getting the two kids buckled in (figure that both ways) - IMO it is about 'even' to take the bus back - even with the wait time. And then you can relax instead of trying to navigate back to the hotel.

We always rent a car, for a lot of the same reasons the first responder said. I like having the option to leave something in the car 'in case we need it later'. Plus, for us, it's easier to just go to our car rather than wait for the bus, see if there's enough room, annoy everyone while we collapse the stroller.....blah blah blah.... Plus, I like knowing if something important gets lost or stolen, I can easily drive to the store to replace it and I'm not at the mercy of Disney's prices.

I actually prefer the bus. We are usually so tired at the end of the day that we take the tram to the car. So by the time you figure folding down the stroller for the tram- then getting to the car and getting the two kids buckled in (figure that both ways) - IMO it is about 'even' to take the bus back - even with the wait time. And then you can relax instead of trying to navigate back to the hotel.

Well, thanks for confusing me with a different viewpoint! ;-) :rotfl:

See, that is how we have always felt about the Disney Transportation - that it was more than worth it (travelling as a teenager, newly married person, and a mother of one). Its just now with the addition of the rental car and baby#2 that makes me consider driving instead of the buses.

So I have NEVER driven into a park - the lots are far enough away that you then get on a tram that will bring you up to the main gate? (except MK). Is that correct?

So I have NEVER driven into a park - the lots are far enough away that you then get on a tram that will bring you up to the main gate? (except MK). Is that correct?

I don't use the tram. We usually get the parks early (not necessarily for rope drop, but close), get a great parking spot, load up the stroller and walk to the park entrance. Heck, the parking lots aren't much farther away than the bus stops at most of the parks! Sure, if you are there in July and you don't get to the park until 11am, you might have a problem, but we usually get a good space.

On our last trip, my MIL was with us and she wanted to ride the tram, so one of us pushed the stroller while the other one rode the tram with DMIL and DS and half the time, the walker got to the entrance first!

Oh yeah, I even drive to the MK (well, the TTC). My son loves the monorail, so this gives us a chance to start the day with a fun monorail ride (sometimes we even wait for the front!). Like I said, no buses for me!! To us, Disney is a walking vacation anyway, what's a few more steps?

We drove the last day to DHS and we were directed to a parking spot at the far back of the lot -- they were filling it from the back that day -- there were tons of close empty spots. None of the lots (other than disabled spots) are close at AK. At the end of the day, the last thing I want to do is walk to the car that is at the far back of the lot. And if I'm folding the strollers for the tram, I just prefer to fold them for the busses. When we stay on-site, we always use the busses -- last trip we had dd2, ds5 and two Volos -- it was not difficult. We each folded a stroller and took a child.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter