Disney Book Suggestions for an advanced 6 year old?

mamathompson

DIS Veteran
My 6 year old daughter is currently reading about a 5th grade level (maybe higher) she devours books faster than I can get them to her. We leave next week for WDW and I'd like to get her something interesting for the plane. Something that can keep her interest, is at her reading level, but not above her maturity level. (and something she won't finish in 20 minutes!)I am hoping to find something Disney related. I was looking at the Kingdom Keepers books, but thought maybe they would be too mature for her. I was also thinking maybe some kind of WDW history, or fun facts? Ideas?
Thanks!

I bought this book: http://www.amazon.com/Birnbaums-Wal...41241&sr=8-2&keywords=birnbaum's+disney+world

It's the Birnbaum's Walt Disney World for Kids (2012 edition). It has all the parks in there with the must see attractions and reviews from actual kids and some fun facts and I think Hidden Mickey info too. There's a spot at the back for autographs too.

She's really enjoying it and it will be a good keepsake for after the trip. She keeps going back to it to read up on Disney and planning, etc. too.

We checked out of the library 1st and she liked it so much, I ordered it from Amazon and it's due to arrive today! We're going to Disney next month so she'll have more time to digest it! :)

These aren't necessarily Disney, but we love the "Sisters Grimm" series! There are two girls, 7 and 11, who end up being fairy tale detectives.

I've never gotten into them, but there is always the "Kingdom Keepers" - Disney themed!

It's fun to read the Mary Poppins books because you see them at the UK in Epcot.

There is a baby-sitters club book I read when I was a kid where they go on a cruise and end at Disneyworld...that one is still my favorite!

The great illustrated classics are so good for that age because they give them the flavor of the classics without boring them to death...plus, if you make a copy of the illustrations you have instant coloring pages!

Have fun!

I know I've seen books on the Hidden Mickeys all over the parks & property- that could be fun for her to get a head-start!

I had the same problem and it was a struggle, because I was not about to let my 6 yo read books about middle school drama! Try the American Girl books, or Little House on the Prairie books. My DD also really enjoyed animal books and I was able to find several series on horses at the library that she loved!

I am also a big reader and often read several grade levels above. I know in 1st/2nd grade I loved Babysitters Club and the Sweet Valley elementary and middle school series. They are dated now but I bet you can find them in a used bookstore dirt cheap. I also loved (and still do) the Boxcar children books.

I had the same problem and it was a struggle, because I was not about to let my 6 yo read books about middle school drama! Try the American Girl books, or Little House on the Prairie books. My DD also really enjoyed animal books and I was able to find several series on horses at the library that she loved!

Exactly! I find it so hard sometimes. She has done the Little House books, and some American Girl. I was hoping of something more Disney themed, but maybe I will just do more American Girls. I had never thought about the Illustrated Classics,that's a great idea! So is Mary Poppins. Does anyone have any experience with the Hidden Mickey books? Which ones are good?

Not Disney related but the local 8-9YOs are devouring Geronimo Stilton books (a mouse journalist/detective). More along the Disney lines, what about PL Travers original Mary Poppins books? Or Wind in the Willows? Or the Adventures of Winnie the Pooh?

Sounds just like my 6yo DD. I am loving the suggestions. My daughter loves the Wimpy Kids, Big Nates, and other graphic novels. There are some Disney comic style books from the late 90s called "Enchanting Stories" that we've bought resale and she really enjoyed those, too.

http://www.comicvine.com/disneys-enchanting-stories/49-40734/

At her reading level the books do get into territory that I'm not real thrilled with her reading about (HSM, etc..) I mean, where are the advanced readers about Disney Classics??!! ;)

I have a DD who is now 10 but has always been pretty advanced. She read all sorts of books on imagineering (they were all hardcover and borrowed from my dad who has an extensive disney library. I wish I had exact titles for you) before one of our trips when she was 7ish. She then had a notebook to design her very own attractions and themes for a park. I know she also read Mary Poppins, Alice in Wonderland, and a ton of biographies! Hope this helps!!! I know it's hard to find things for them.

Maybe too far advanced but keep in mind for a year or two...My advanced now-10 year old read when he was 8/9:
Peter and the STarcatcher series (about Peter Pan before he's Peter Pan)
Kingdom Keepers (about some characters being 'real' and takes place in Magic Kingdom a lot of the time)

He loved both, but they might be higher than 5th grade leve.

I am enjoying all these recommendations! Getting a list going for sure, Thanks everyone! I would love to hear more

What about some of the old chlidren's classics like the original Peter Pan and Winnie the Pooh. Also, the Wizard of Oz books, Alice in wonderland, or even Grimms fairy tales.

If you have an eReader, you can get those books for free. My son is not a strong reader, But he loves to have those kinds of books read to him.

How about some of the Donald Duck/ Uncle Scrooge comic books? They're fun reads and not at all "babyish". There are lots of adventure stories and they're loaded with visual gags and bad puns. You can't go wrong with anything written by Carl Barks or Don Rosa.

My daughter has been reading Walt Disney World Resort Extreme Vacation Guide for kids. By Polka Dot Suitcase.
This book is getting her super excited for her vacation and she is learning alot about the parks. It also has projects that they can do before vacation.

http://www.amazon.com/Disney-World-Extreme-Vacation-Guide/dp/0982990375

or from polka dot suitcase

http://www.polkadotsuitcase.com/aboutthebook.html

Just skimmed her book and not only is there projects to do before the trip, but also projects to do after.
For the trip itself it gives hints about the really cool things to expirence while you are there at all 4 parks, and described the different rides and exhibits in all the parks.

Very cool book

My niece is the same age and similar reading level. Last year she read all the original Wizard of Oz books, Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, The Chronicles of Narnia series, The Secret Garden, The Little Princess, the "Shoes" books by Noel Streatfeild, Boxcar Children Mysteries, Nancy Drew Mysteries (the old originals), etc.. I know they aren't Disney, but might give you a start. She doesn't watch television, so she has no idea who any of the Disney characters are really!

My sister also has a tough time, for the same reasons you mention. She tends to fall back to the classics and the books we loved as children. You might try the original Peter Pan, Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (not babyish, and actually very cleverly written), and there are also some really good fairy tale retellings, such as Beauty, by Robin McKinley which is one of my favorites.

I picked up a few more American Girl books last night, but I might save those for Christmas and order Mary Poppins and Peter Pan for the trip. She has read many of the books suggested, and I'm keeping a list of the others for more ideas :thumbsup2

I read kingdom keepers- its a book about + 8th graders and they travel around Disney world and the cruises at night. The whole park comes to life. I think she'll love them!

My 6 year old daughter is currently reading about a 5th grade level (maybe higher) she devours books faster than I can get them to her. We leave next week for WDW and I'd like to get her something interesting for the plane. Something that can keep her interest, is at her reading level, but not above her maturity level. (and something she won't finish in 20 minutes!)I am hoping to find something Disney related. I was looking at the Kingdom Keepers books, but thought maybe they would be too mature for her. I was also thinking maybe some kind of WDW history, or fun facts? Ideas?
Thanks!

Your Daughter might like the following: *Swiss Family Robinso, Old Yeller(emotional), *The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, *Charlotte's Web, Bridge to Terabithia, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Percy Jackson and the Olympians, *A little Princess, The Borrowers, The Indian in the Cupboard and of course there is always *Pippi Longstocking.

some of my favorite books made to movies...* some of my favorites

My niece is the same age and similar reading level. Last year she read all the original Wizard of Oz books, Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, The Chronicles of Narnia series, The Secret Garden, The Little Princess, the "Shoes" books by Noel Streatfeild, Boxcar Children Mysteries, Nancy Drew Mysteries (the old originals), etc.. I know they aren't Disney, but might give you a start. She doesn't watch television, so she has no idea who any of the Disney characters are really!

My sister also has a tough time, for the same reasons you mention. She tends to fall back to the classics and the books we loved as children. You might try the original Peter Pan, Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (not babyish, and actually very cleverly written), and there are also some really good fairy tale retellings, such as Beauty, by Robin McKinley which is one of my favorites.

The Secret Garden was also among my favorites!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter