Disney and people who can not physically eat much at a buffet?

SL6827

DIS Veteran
Got a quick question. I think I know the answer before I ask, but here goes. For people who have had a stomach/weight loss surgery and have proof of it, will Disney charge you the exact same for a buffet even if you can only eat say one fourth of a plate of it? (if that much)

That is what I thought. Thanks. Won't be doing anymore buffets.

Just wanted to chime in to say that if you wanted to go to a breakfast buffet, The Wave, over at the Contemporary has a decent breakfast buffet but they will also let you order off the menu so not everyone in you party will need to get the buffet. There may be other buffets that do this and it could be worth checking into.

Just wanted to chime in to say that if you wanted to go to a breakfast buffet, The Wave, over at the Contemporary has a decent breakfast buffet but they will also let you order off the menu so not everyone in you party will need to get the buffet. There may be other buffets that do this and it could be worth checking into.
Good info. Thanks!

Any other restaurants besides Wave that do this?

Good info. Thanks!

Any other restaurants besides Wave that do this?

I'm sure some other place does. I didn't know it about The Wave until we actually went there and the waiter brought out a breakfast menu and said you could choose from the menu or get the buffet. Wonder if there is an easy way to find out. This may be an issue for our group on our November trip. We have one person with us who has Crohn's Disease and tries to be careful in their eating, but a lot of the group will probably be doing character buffets and that's going to be pricey for him to not eat much!

The Bon Voyage breakfast has an a la carte and I think this is the only character meal that has both.

The a la carte breakfast option where you can order and pay for separate items at Trattoria is walk-up only and the seating is separate from the character meal. The "Bon Voyage" character meal is pre-fixe and there is no buffet offered. The only character restaurant that offers a mix of pre-fixe plated meals plus a small buffet is Akershus, but it will still be a set price. The only restaurant "on-property" that I've ever noticed both an a la carte menu and buffet offered at a character meal is the weekend character breakfast and nightly character dinners at Garden Grove at the Swan. Though, for us, once we added up everything we wanted a la carte, we found the buffet was a better deal (think they planned it that way?! LOL!) That may work for OP though, as he/she could order a smaller item a la carte for less cost than the buffet while others in the party opt for the buffet. That is, if they are even looking for a character meal!

We have no heath restrictions and still never do the buffets. You can eat at signature restaurants for the same or less money. We did a few one time when my kids were little and we had free dining but they were loud and chaotic and I personally don’t care for them. And they are very expensive OOP.

Only once did I ask if I could have the pricing adjusted. The manager granted my request but I'd never do it again. It involved contacting them in advance and requesting it. As a bariatric patient I can;t eat as much, so buffets are frustrating. We either skip them entirely or know that we're paying for food (and money) to be wasted. Instead we either do CS or table service that's not a buffet, and I share with someone.

If they started that i think they’d create a mess. I have kids in my group who only eat two bites so I guess they should be discounted too. Or what about last year when I had the flu at Chef Mickeys and only ate a tiny plate so why should I pay full price? If you know ahead of time you won’t get your moneys worth then buffets are probably not a good idea. Though with me they are more for the character interaction with the kids than for a great meal.

Yep, Whispering Canyon has an AYCE option and ala carte options. Each person chooses which they want.

Buffets used to be my go-to $$ saving tip at WDW & only eating twice a day, but with a diabetic in the house, they won't let me do that any more.

Yes, buffets and fixed price meals, you pay the set amount, not only for the food, but for the "experience."

Since my kids turned into "Disney adults" at age 10, we have mostly avoided buffets. It's tough to pay the adult set amount when they are going to *literally* eat 2 pieces of cantaloupe and a croissant. LOL. We have found the a la carte restaurants to provide choices that suit us better right now. Thankfully, despite many meals turning into fixed price, there are still lots of good a la carte options left.

I really wish all of the buffet restaurants offered the option to order from a regular menu too.
We would go to the Crystal Palace when we visited WDW. My father really liked it there. I know I could go & pay for a character buffet, but my own kids are older now & really don’t need to eat with Winnie the Pooh. I would definitely go if we could just order a dinner & be on our way.
I like the idea/concept of a buffet.
Ive never been thrilled with the ones I’ve gone to for several reasons.

Probably they were designed as buffets and the kitchens aren't set up to provide á la carte.
I don't know about that...a kitchen is a kitchen.
In my kitchen at home I can do plated meals or set up a buffet...I've done both.
It would be a nice option, imo. I'm not saying it would be easy to execute tho.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter