Disney alone as a minor?

When I was a young lad, my buddy and I stayed at a crappy hotel called the Sea Foam Inn, I believe. Luckily, we weren't murdered.

Would you feel better letting the minor sleep alone at night in an airport because you weren't willing to check them in, despite having written authorization from their parent or legal guardian and having a credit card on file?

There is a difference between accepting minors and any subsequent liability, vs allowing them to fend for themselves.

So, today is May 1 and you are all 17. Spring breaks are typically late March or April. You are saying that in 11 months, give or take a few days, everyone will still be 17? Amazing that all of you have birthdays in April.

This was my first thought. Not sure about everyone else, but when I was 17, a year later, I turned 18.

I went to Disney World on my honeymoon, when I was 17. My husband was 18, but never thought of myself as anything other than an adult. I suppose times have changed since 1981.

That's not true of all rental companies. Each has different stipulations and it can vary by state as well. For instance, state law allows anyone 18 and older to rent a car in MI and NY. Outside of those 2 states, most rental companies will rent to anyone 20 or 21 and older. They generally charge an additional "Young Driver fee" but some companies waive it if you're a member of certain organizations like AAA. Government and military personnel can also rent vehicles at 18 and are generally not charged the young driver fee.

As a Marine and later as a vet, I've rented cars and moving trucks when I was under 25 and never been assessed the fee or been given difficulty.
Also some companies if you rent through their employee portals will waive the surcharge. Both my husband's present company and my previous employer did this.

That said there is a difference in renting a car to an under 25 year old, an under 21 year old and renting a hotel room for an under 18 year old. Of course state law could allow an under 18 year old to rent a hotel room provided there's parental permission, etc especially as that shifts liability but that is different than a rental car company. There's nothing to shift the liability to as the person is over the age of 18 so legally an adult but yet is one of the highest risk drivers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter