**Disney After Hours - Magic Kingdom** FAQ & Discussion Thread

Went last night. Prior ate at wave which was one of the best meals I've had on property and we eat at sigs all the time. Walked over to mk at about 645. Got in easily. To avoid log jams during the event. Did splash, hm, iasw, astro, and mermaid prior to start. Watched hea then started. Jc, poc, btmrr( twice), pan, teacups, buzz ( maxed the score), tta, space(twice),, 7dmt.
Watched the 1am stage show and saw the dragon up close. Waits were minimal for everything ( walk on to 10 minutes. Except dwarves 15 minutes). Snack lines were almost non existant. Closed the night with a 2am picture on an empty main street.

Was the 1am show and the crowds to watch Maleficent after it manageable as far as crowds? That's what we're hoping to do since it doesn't take away from ride time, but kinda worried it'll be crazy packed since we can't be the only people with that idea.
The 1 am show was very packed, but we didn’t get there until 1:10 because the space wait time was a lot longer than posted (posted 10 minutes and it was probably 30). It was nothing like hea, though.

Did you feel rushed to get through the dessert part of the after fireworks party? I have tickets for a (regular not Villains) DAH in August, on what will be our only evening at MK. I would really like to do the dessert party for ease of HEA viewing (we’ve never been before). I currently have a reservation for the before fireworks party, but I am wondering about the after party. It seems like it might be a good way to let some of the crowd die down before heading out for the after hours. But I was wondering if it ends up cutting into your after hours time? Before I bought tickets for DAH, I had a reservation for an after party on a different evening. I rearranged our plans once the DAH dates were announced, and made a reservation for the before party, thinking it would work better with DAH. But now I’m second guessing that...?

If you’re worried about it cutting into your time, you may want to keep the before party. We had my in-laws along celebrating their 50th anniversary. This was near the end of our trip so we weren’t in a big rush since we’d ridden all the rides already. We didn’t dally too much on dessert and left the dessert party about 10:05. If we’d really rushed, we could have used another FP+ and gotten in a line before 10.

We did enjoy being out of the commotion as everyone else left the park.

Was the 1am show and the crowds to watch Maleficent after it manageable as far as crowds? That's what we're hoping to do since it doesn't take away from ride time, but kinda worried it'll be crazy packed since we can't be the only people with that idea.
We were at the 6/13 party and walked up for the 1 am show about 10 minutes prior and had no problem finding a spot right next to the partners statue. It did fill in as the show started, though, so just plan to arrive a few minutes early. We then walked to the end of Main Street and only had to wait a few minutes for the dragon to come by. It’s AMAZING! We watched it earlier in the night and made a point to stick around to see it again.

The Villains heckling from the train station platform were great, too! My hubby was dressed as Gaston, and he called down to DH “Hey, other Gaston, tell these people to get out of here!”

Wait times were great all night, the only wait we had was for Space and only because we went right at 10 (not our original plan but just happened to be in the area and didn’t want to backtrack later). Posted wait was 35 but we were off in 25. Everything else we did was a walk on (HM, BTMRR, Pirates).

Found the mug at Momento Mori around 11 and it sold out while I was checking out (none at Star Traders earlier). That was the only event merchandise I wanted so was happy to grab one of the last ones!

Got all but the Oogie Boogie magic shot....but our Hades shot is missing it’s magic! Anyone mind posting what it’s supposed to look like before I email PhotoPass?

All in all, it was a great evening, weather was perfect and park felt virtually empty. Would definitely do it again if they continue it past summer or next year. It did feel like the time went VERY quickly, though. Not enough time to do everything - but i think we did a good mix of rides and party exclusive stuff. We also did 3 FPs before the party started, including SDMT, so didn’t check on that wait time. The only thing I missed out on was trying all the party treats I’d planned to sample. But still one of the best WDW events we’ve attended!!
D631E3DC-298C-4D3A-81F3-05067A0D815F.jpeg

Last edited:

We were at the 6/13 party and walked up for the 1 am show about 10 minutes prior and had no problem finding a spot right next to the partners statue. It did fill in as the show started, though, so just plan to arrive a few minutes early. We then walked to the end of Main Street and only had to wait a few minutes for the dragon to come by. It’s AMAZING! We watched it earlier in the night and made a point to stick around to see it again.

The Villains heckling from the train station platform were great, too! My hubby was dressed as Gaston, and he called down to DH “Hey, other Gaston, tell these people to get out of here!”

Wait times were great all night, the only wait we had was for Space and only because we went right at 10 (not our original plan but just happened to be in the area and didn’t want to backtrack later). Posted wait was 35 but we were off in 25. Everything else we did was a walk on (HM, BTMRR, Pirates).

Found the mug at Momento Mori around 11 and it sold out while I was checking out (none at Star Traders earlier). That was the only event merchandise I wanted so was happy to grab one of the last ones!

Got all but the Oogie Boogie magic shot....but our Hades shot is missing it’s magic! Anyone mind posting what it’s supposed to look like before I email PhotoPass?

All in all, it was a great evening, weather was perfect and park felt virtually empty. Would definitely do it again if they continue it past summer or next year. It did feel like the time went VERY quickly, though. Not enough time to do everything - but i think we did a good mix of rides and party exclusive stuff. We also did 3 FPs before the party started, including SDMT, so didn’t check on that wait time. The only thing I missed out on was trying all the party treats I’d planned to sample. But still one of the best WDW events we’ve attended!!
View attachment 409508
Yay! I've been waiting to hear from you! You all look great, as usual!!
Cant wait for July 1st to experience it!

We plan to do the magic shots too.

I'd love to see what they look like if anyone wants to share. :)

Yay! I've been waiting to hear from you! You all look great, as usual!!
Cant wait for July 1st to experience it!

We plan to do the magic shots too.

I'd love to see what they look like if anyone wants to share. :)
Thank you!!!! We had so much fun and got tons of compliments on our costumes! Hubby and I had a bit of fun around the park with ours!

0106A5A4-E658-4E5B-B9D0-23176DB16C2F.jpeg

619AA5CC-D249-41AC-9188-D0F5FE597521.jpeg

Here are the Scar and Dragon magic shots. I’ll share Hades once we get it sorted out (no magic in our photo? :confused3) and we didn’t make it to Oogie Boogie, unfortunately.

840D8CAD-EA4D-4C35-AF8D-06CDBC55D538.jpeg

21D7EB03-0302-40E9-870E-2636B4A3AF40.jpeg

ETA: Sorry, I don’t know why the first 2 photos are sideways but I can’t figure out how to fix it!!

Thank you!!!! We had so much fun and got tons of compliments on our costumes! Hubby and I had a bit of fun around the park with ours!

View attachment 409741

View attachment 409742

Here are the Scar and Dragon magic shots. I’ll share Hades once we get it sorted out (no magic in our photo? :confused3) and we didn’t make it to Oogie Boogie, unfortunately.

View attachment 409744

View attachment 409743

ETA: Sorry, I don’t know why the first 2 photos are sideways but I can’t figure out how to fix it!!
LOVE these. Do they have the magic shots on the map? Trying to imagine where these are. I hope to get all of them. Also DS15 is wearing a Gaston shirt, so we may have to copy your husband. :)

I’m hoping they are rationing the merch - only putting a set amount out per night (not so much a limit on how many of each item people can buy, though that would be nice...) - and things already sold out are not truly sold out.

LOVE these. Do they have the magic shots on the map? Trying to imagine where these are. I hope to get all of them. Also DS15 is wearing a Gaston shirt, so we may have to copy your husband. :)
I don’t think the locations were on the map, I found the info online after the first party.
Scar is across from Sunshine Tree Terrace, Dragon by the Fantasyland wall, Hades in the hub and Oogie Boogie by the Tomorrowland rocks.

I’m hoping they are rationing the merch - only putting a set amount out per night (not so much a limit on how many of each item people can buy, though that would be nice...) - and things already sold out are not truly sold out.
I believe they are. When I was purchasing my mug at Momento Mori, the cast members kept checking the status and calling out to each other “6 mugs left” and “down to 4” things like that. They were on a small shelf to the left of the register, so it’s likely they get a certain number to sell each night...at least for the mugs.

View attachment 409741

View attachment 409742

View attachment 409744

View attachment 409743

Awesome that you had a great time! Great costumes! I've had luck posting pics (on iphone) by editing them to NOT be live pics...does that make sense? As soon as I save them as not live-they showed up the right way :)

I just read this on the AP site, first I heard of it.
In addition to this wickedly wonderful discount, beginning June 27, 2019, Annual Passholders attending Disney Villains After Hours can receive a complimentary ornament featuring the head hero hater himself—Hades!
Wonder if those of us who attended the early parties can get one somehow??? I’d have LOVED for this to be offered at our party!!

Yeah, DPB announcement:

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...ders-can-enjoy-special-offerings-this-summer/
  • Passholders can take a walk on the vile side during Disney Villains After Hours, a special event held on select nights this summer at Magic Kingdom Park, and will save $30 off the price sold at the ticket window when purchasing tickets in advance. Beginning June 27, they will also receive a complimentary special Passholder Disney Villains After Hours ornament featuring Hades while at the event (limit one (1) per Passholder while supplies list). Ornaments can be picked up at Mickey’s Star Traders in Tomorrowland during the event.

We went last Thursday to Villains After Hours and had an enjoyable time. We entered the park at 7 p.m. to maximize our time in MK as we did not have day tickets. Before the official party time, we played Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom, watched HEA, rode Pirates, and ate dinner at Columbia Harbor House. Once the party started, we did Big Thunder, Splash, Astro Orbiter, PeopleMover, Space Ranger Spin, Mad Tea Party, Mine Train, Peter Pan's Flight, and Space Mountain (not in this order, but I don't remember the exact order). We also checked out the merchandise and had a Maleficent cone (very delicious).

It was busier than a regular MK After Hours (we attended one in February which we are comparing to), but waits were still not too long. We were sad that there was no Tangled Photopass (the one with the lanterns), as the regular MK After Hours *does* have it. This one did seem to have more snack stands.

Overall, we preferred regular MK After Hours as compared to the Villains theming. The Villains theming is pretty unnecessary – for instance, they were playing some ominous music for guests at Mad Tea Party, some strange loud sounds in Space Mountain (I read that they were supposed to be villains voices, but they just sounded like loud noises), then playing Akon, Pit Bull, and Ariana Grande very loudly at the castle party. Quite random, not very villainous. Not sure why they can't just play Disney Villains music, like "Gaston" and "Poor Unfortunate Souls" or even songs from Descendants.

It is not the best way to take someone to Magic Kingdom for the first time, but certainly for repeat guests, it’s fine and overall enjoyable.

We are going Aug 8 and really looking forward to it. I will say my DD will be disappointed about not being able to do the Tangled photo when it's dark.

I just read this on the AP site, first I heard of it.
In addition to this wickedly wonderful discount, beginning June 27, 2019, Annual Passholders attending Disney Villains After Hours can receive a complimentary ornament featuring the head hero hater himself—Hades!
Well holy crap, this plus the SWGE previews. I’m so glad we’re getting APs for the first time this summer. With my luck they’ll be gone by the time we get there because it says while supplies last...(actually it says while supplies list lol)

ETA: nvm not going to the SWGE preview now. I’m not paying that price increase for platinum passes

Last edited:
Is there a full fireworks show or just a stage show? If fireworks, can someone please tell the time. Staying at Poly in two weeks and want to catch it if it’s different from the dreaded Happily Ever After.

Is there a full fireworks show or just a stage show? If fireworks, can someone please tell the time. Staying at Poly in two weeks and want to catch it if it’s different from the dreaded Happily Ever After.

No fireworks, just a stage show that happens several times per night. There is some fire/pyro to it that will be visible from Poly, but will have minimal entertainment value from there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter