• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disgusted with the wii-fit

Status
Not open for further replies.
The disclaimer in the manual is there for a reason. Mistakes can happen and the balance board does not provide for 100% accuracy; it is not designed to be a set of accurate scales. I think you're over-reacting, and the fact of the matter is that Nintendo use the widely acclaimed BMI scale to calculate the definitions, it's not something they made up themselves. If you believed your step-daughter would react sensitively to the game, then you shouldn't have purchased it.

I wasn't going to respond to this thread, as it seems to have degenerated into a puerile rant from a few disgruntled gamers who are not regular members of the disboard. However having been on the receiving end of a few pathetic hostile pms and the fact that my parenting skills have been questioned and it has been suggested that I am somehow in denial about my step daughters weight I felt I must respond.

Firstly I would like to apologise to the regular members of the disboard for bringing such negativity to what is a lovely forum and a wonderful community to post in.

Secondly I would like to thank the members of dis that have posted their opinions both in agreement and disagreement with my original post on here in a mature and thoughtful way without resorting to childish ranting.

Thirdly I would like to add in response to all the criticism I’ve received the letter that my DH sent to Nintendo, this outlines our considered opinion. It also demonstrates that we ourselves looked into the data given by the wiifit before deciding to complain to Nintendo. If the data that we had found had showed that my stepdaughter was indeed overweight then we would have addressed this with her however this was not the conclusion that we drew from our research.

well said
:thumbsup2
i for one can't believe how this thread has been attacked by a few that felt they needed to join this forum just to attack your post

Emma,you have no reason to apologise(i also bit my tongue)-we are all entitled to opinion's:thumbsup2 .Because this seems to have been linked to a gamers message board-they have decided to become dis members for the day:confused3 (and gaming experts)to pick at what you have said.Just ignore+don't feed the trolls.x.
As for the pm's i am sure you can go to a mod about them-but don't answer them and stoop to there level.x.

If you believed your step-daughter would react sensitively to the game, then you shouldn't have purchased it.

My step daughter doesn't live with us, she visits every other week. The wiifit was primarily brought for myself and my husband to use but we felt that there was no reason not to let the children have a go. I did not think for 1 minute that either of them would be labelled as unhealthy so we were all shocked. Of course if I felt that my stepdaughter was overweight or if I knew she was particularly body conscientious I would have steered her away from playing it and we'd have done something else. She is a beauitful healthy happy active and confident girl who excels in school. However as a 10year old girl who is becoming increasingly aware of fashions, her own body and boys to effectively be called fat did upset her which I believe is understandable.

Emma,you have no reason to apologise(i also bit my tounge)-we are all entitled to opinion's:thumbsup2 .Because this seems to have been linked to a gamers message board-they have decided to become dis members for the day:confused3 (and gaming experts)to pick at what you have said.Just ignore+don't feed the trolls.x.
As for the pm's i am sure you can go to a mod about them-but don't answer them and stoop to there level.x.

Thanks Michelle, as you suggested I did ignore the pms and just forwarded them to the mods I have no desire to enflame this situation further or to get into a private pm war. My DH runs a motorsport forum so I am all to aware of how easy these situations can errupt :confused3

Sorry, but not everyone are real gamers, there is such a phrase as "Casual Gamers". This means people who wan to have fun with their console, maybe play games as a family, and not a hardcore gamer, which I'm presuming you are. Ok, Ok, so the Wii measurements are a little off, nintendo now know this. Just because you think the Wii is "unecessary" doesn't mean that it isn't popular. And the price, if you recall, the previous set of consoles especially the PS2, were priced similarly to the Wii when they first came out, for which everyone said that they were overpriced.

Nintendo are appealing to the mass market of familys with younger children and not every parent wants their 6 year old playing Gears Of War, this is why the DS and Wii are so popular, Nintendo have realised that the features that are going to make the console popular were not super duper graphics or lots of games that you shoot people with, which would just mean a PS3 or 360 clone, but a console thats interactive with the user and something they can have a lot of fun. And you call it last gen technology, give me an example of a console that uses the remote technology like the Wii as a main controlling method, and the Six-axis Playstation 3 controllers do not count as they are a different technology, or a handheld console that utilises a touch screen, with dual screen play?

And, do you not think that if people wanted a Gamecube, they would buy a gamecube? They haven't become obsolete yet!

So, before you go flaming people because they don't share the same "Hardcore gamer" opinions like you, maybe you should think about why people want these consoles. And before you ask, I am a hardcore gamer, and yes I'm buying a Wii, because I want one, even though I play a 360, because theres so many things for a Wii, that don't come on a 360!

And one last thing, you forgot Halo 3.
hehe you showed him/her :rolleyes1

I wasn't going to respond to this thread, as it seems to have degenerated into a puerile rant from a few disgruntled gamers who are not regular members of the disboard. However having been on the receiving end of a few pathetic hostile pms and the fact that my parenting skills have been questioned and it has been suggested that I am somehow in denial about my step daughters weight I felt I must respond.

I have to agree with you here, it seems that several people have registered just to have a go at other DISers

If you haven't deleted the hostile PM's, then please forward them to me as I would be very interested to see what these people have sent you

I'm going to close this thread, as I think it has run it's course and seems to have brought a few rude people out of the woodwork :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter