Discovery Cove or Disney Cruise?

SeeJackRunn

Mouseketeer
I posted this on the Discovery Cove forum, but I'll post it here too to get more opinions. What would you do? It would be just my boyfriend and I. As of now we have 5 nights booked at the Grand Floridian with a dolphin swim at Discovery Cove. We used a 40% pin code, and realized we could do a three day cruise with one night before and after at the Grand Floridian for the same price. What would you do?

Thanks

I guess it depends where your interests lie. You CAN do the dolphin swim on an excursion on the 3 day but it is pricey (as is Discovery Cove). I have been to DC and loved it, but be aware you only spend about 15 min with the dolphins and swim with them only twice for about 10 seconds each time. I guess you would get more bang for the buck on a cruise ship! Just my 2 Cents.

Well, think about this. You will have to pay for all your meals if you do the GF/DC. Meals are included in the cruise. If you have factored those prices in, I would do the GF/DC because the 3 night cruise is meh. I know I have been and am going again, but I would have prefered the parks, excepot I want to have my birthday on Castaway Cay.

No I haven't factored in meals, I'm a little confused what to do...but 40% off at the Grand Floridian is a great deal no matter how you look at it and who knows if I would ever be able to get to stay for so cheap again.

No I haven't factored in meals, I'm a little confused what to do...but 40% off at the Grand Floridian is a great deal no matter how you look at it and who knows if I would ever be able to get to stay for so cheap again.
In that case, I'd go for the GF. You can always do a 3-day cruise another time.

Sayhello

I would say stay at GF...instead of bussing back and forth from hotels and ships and such. GF is beautiful stayed last may loved it wouldnt go again unless amazing deal (stayed on the buy 4 nights get 3 free deal)...take the 40% off when you can

I know the dilemma, I was lucky enough in 2009 to do both in my August vacation.

I had a 7 night Magic cruise, 9Was a Eastern went to a Western re bad weather). That was good.

But we also had a day at Discovery Cove. We got there at 7.30am. We had a private cabana booked. We were checked in by 7.45am, there was a queue at this time. After photos taken and charge cards given, we went to the Cabana, and had our orientation at 8am and in the pool with Dolphins at 8.20am! That was nice it was cool, but not cold, it became very hot then rained later.

We had the most fantastic dolphin experience, I have swum with Dolphins with DCL at Cozumel, Costa Maya, Acapulco, but this just put thoose into pale memories against this.

We had breakfast therefore 'after' the swim, not normally that way around.

We then had an uninterrupted day to enjoy the Cabana, with great views over the Dolphin area and all of the other swims, and drinks, and snacks service included, as well as going for lunch.

We went around the lazy river, snorkel pool, etc,

Both are A1 experiences its hard to decide.

Looking at your posts you have a deal at GF, so do that and DC this time and cruise next time.

We loved our day at Discovery Cove. Florida law does restrict you to 30 minutes of swimming with the dolphins; there is an additional 15 minute orientation time with a trainer before the swim. DD was about 10 at the time, and the trainer asked her if she wanted to go "really fast." She said yes, and got the swim of her life. In addition to the day at Discovery Cove, your ticket includes a week pass to Sea World.

Since you got a great deal on this, I'd probably do the GF this time. IMHO 3 night cruises are not that great; I'd wait till you can do a longer cruise to enjoy that experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter