Discovery Cove - Dolphin Swim

johnnyr

DIS Veteran
How cold is the water at Discovery Cove? I know they give you a wet suit for the dolphin swim. Is the water that cold? Are there other areas of Discovery Cove you would need a wet suit?

From the DC website:

Water Temperature
The temperature of our pools remains constant throughout the year. The fresh water Serenity Bay and Wind-away River are maintained around 85-88 F (30 C). The salt water dolphin pools maintained around 72 F, and The Grand Reef are 77 F (25 C).

You will have your option to wear either a wetsuit OR a vest. Whichever is your preference.

We were there on January 1st and didn't find the water to be that cold. Colder, certainly, than other water in the park (the lazy river is warm, warm, warm) but not cold enough to be considered uncomfortable. But I will say that we are from Canada (EH! :rotfl:) so we are used to cold water. If you are from a predominantly warmer region you might not adjust as well.

Comfort in a certain water temperature varies from person to person. When I take a shower, I like the water to be a half degree before scalding.....DH sets the temp to "just barely warm". So I think it will depend on how sensitive you are to cooler water. In any case, 72 degrees shouldn't make your lips turn blue :).

From the DC website:

Water Temperature
The temperature of our pools remains constant throughout the year. The fresh water Serenity Bay and Wind-away River are maintained around 85-88 F (30 C). The salt water dolphin pools maintained around 72 F, and The Grand Reef are 77 F (25 C).

You will have your option to wear either a wetsuit OR a vest. Whichever is your preference.

We were there on January 1st and didn't find the water to be that cold. Colder, certainly, than other water in the park (the lazy river is warm, warm, warm) but not cold enough to be considered uncomfortable. But I will say that we are from Canada (EH! :rotfl:) so we are used to cold water. If you are from a predominantly warmer region you might not adjust as well.

Comfort in a certain water temperature varies from person to person. When I take a shower, I like the water to be a half degree before scalding.....DH sets the temp to "just barely warm". So I think it will depend on how sensitive you are to cooler water. In any case, 72 degrees shouldn't make your lips turn blue :).

Awesome! Thank you so much. One of our friends did the dolphin swim and commented on how cold the water was. She said without the wet suit, there was no way she could have stayed in the water. It was mid summer last year on a hot sunny day. After speaking with her, I was concerned the water would be too cold.

We were just there thursday, the kids opted for wet suits but dh and myself just wore the vest. It was hot outside. The water at the dolphin swim and the grand reef were very cold but once we got in and moving around we got use to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter