discounts on laptops???

dj2

all my little ducks in a row...
my DD needs s laptop to bring to college. DH is a high school teacher--i thought i heard at one point that apple or someone had educator discounts. anyone know if this is true? or are there student discounts?

i thought i also heard that students can get the microsoft office suite at a rock bottom price somewhere. anyone know about this, too?

thx
dj

Yes, Apple has the Education store. You save $50-100 on laptops. Your daughter, as a college student, can also get a free ipod during their promotion now.

Also check out overstock. I got my macbook from them for $650. You can buy extended warranties too.

The MS Office deal is called the Ultimate Steal.

You really should look at the university website before you buy anything. Some schools have deals with certain manufacturers and provide support only for that brand. You should be able to check the school's bookstore online to see if they offer deals, etc.

Most makers offer programs with educational discounts (or discounts for government employees). The best deals I've seen are through the Dell Outlet. You need to search a little and know what you're looking for. You can get new ones that were custom orders and the buyer cancelled the order, or scratch and dent or refurb.

FYI - walmart has a Toshiba laptop right now for $398 with 3GB RAM. I'm sure there are other features to look for, but that seemed like a great price.

My DH just bought a $399 laptop from Staples (on sale again this week) with 2GB Ram and 250GB Hard drive. He uses it for work and it far exceeds his expectations for the price.

We bought Microsoft office Student for about $90 from buy.com. This can be added to 3 PCs in the same household. It does not include Outlook though.

We generally get caught up in the "for $50/$100 more we can get xxx better". I'm so proud that we stuck to the cheap laptop and it really does everything we need and more!

thanks for all the tips of where to look and what to look for everyone!!!!!

i was thinking we'd just order it to be sent to her at school, but she feels like she wants time to get adjusted to it at home before we go. thank goodness we're flying her there on southwest, which still has the most budget friendly luggage policy.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter