Disciplining a child who tells lies

JanetRose

...what was the meaning of the big white glove?
Heard about someone who disciplines his child (about 10 years old) who tells a lot of lies by not letting him talk for 20 days....the boy is also home schooled.

Don't want to start any fights but wanted to find out if that is reasonable...I think it's extreme.

Heard about someone who disciplines his child (about 10 years old) who tells a lot of lies by not letting him talk for 20 days....the boy is also home schooled.

Don't want to start any fights but wanted to find out if that is reasonable...I think it's extreme.

I agree. I think dad needs to go to parenting classes to learn another method of disciplining his son. I think not letting the child speak borders on abuse. I would wonder what else goes on in the house with that child and any other children in the home.

First of all make sure you have your facts straight. If you're going on hearsay, then I would do some checking. But if what you heard is truth, then I would go to the authorities. That is absolutely emotional abuse and pathetic parenting.

That's one of the strangest things I've ever heard. Some kids are "homeschooled" because the parents don't want people knowing what bizarre stuff they do to their children. I think this needs further investigation.

Not sure why the child is lying, which clearly is not a good pattern...but then the punishment is so awful, I do not understand that either.

Poor parenting at best. Hope this is not accurate....:confused3

So sad. :rolleyes: This could teach the child to become a better liar, instead of coming forward with the truth...in future instances. Why would you ever want to come forward with the truth if you're going to get that type of punishment?

Agree with others: this is emotional abuse. I can't imagine with other forms of punishments this father gives for other infractions....ugh, I don't want to think about it! :sad2:

diznee25

This makes no sense, how do you not let a child talk at all for 20 days??!!! I can see a parent saying this is frustration (much like you're grounded for 6 months!) but I can't see that they could ever actually follow through on it :confused3

That's emotionally abusive.

I would also wonder what else that parent is doing to the child in the name of so-called discipline. I

This makes no sense, how do you not let a child talk at all for 20 days??!!! I can see a parent saying this is frustration (much like you're grounded for 6 months!) but I can't see that they could ever actually follow through on it :confused3

:thumbsup2 Sounds exaggerated. If the kid can't talk for 20 days when does he ever have the chance to lie. Besides that when you play the be quiet for 5 minutes game no kid can make it over 60 seconds. lol

I can only imagine what CPS is going to think if someone calls and says "I am calling in about a child that is abused because his father punishes him by not allowing him to talk for 20 days each time he lies."

And what's the punishment if he talks during the 20 days? You should definitely look into it and if it's true and there are even other more bizarre punishments, you should report it.

:thumbsup2 Sounds exaggerated. If the kid can't talk for 20 days when does he ever have the chance to lie. Besides that when you play the be quiet for 5 minutes game no kid can make it over 60 seconds. lol

I can only imagine what CPS is going to think if someone calls and says "I am calling in about a child that is abused because his father punishes him by not allowing him to talk for 20 days each time he lies."

:thumbsup2 Agree with both of these.

That's because you are not an abusive parent. Believe me, as someone who is currently involved with a family case of emotional abuse, I can definitively state that an abusive parent can and will follow through.

I do not advocate calling CPS just based on hearsay. However, if you have witnessed something, please call. No child should have to suffer emotional abuse.

This is abuse and should be reported.

The poor kid is probably telling lies to avoid getting in trouble. If this is the punishment for lies, I cannot even imagine what other punishments are being handed out in that home. :confused:

There are better and more effective ways to punish a lying kid. When my son went through a lying phase, I decided to show him how aggravating liars are. When he asked me once what what we were having for dinner, I said "Pizza!" (his favorite). When dinnertime came, I served him a big plate of liver & onions with broccoli (his LEAST favorite - and mine! Blech!). When he said "You told me we were having pizza!" I shrugged and said "I lied. Now eat up!" I had to serve two more "lie dinners" but eventually he saw how frustrating it is to deal with a person who lies. The only thing the kid OP referred to is going to learn is that if he lies, he doesn't have to talk to anybody. If he's shy, he may not want to talk anyway. :confused3

If the punishment was enforced, then yes, it's extreme.

I know of parents who will tell their children "You're grounded for a month!" and then give it up by the weekend. Not a great way to discipline, either, because then the child knows you're not going to follow through.

You heard? From whom? Is the source reliable? Do you have any other information or just this?

Unless the parent is duct taping the kid's mouth closed for 20 days I doubt that this is going to be enforced. Maybe it was said out of frustration and anger, I know I;ve told my kids that I'm going to throw out every single toy they own if they don't pick them up off the floor. They still have toys.

I wouldn't report anything that you don't have actual proof of it happening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter