disbility help

adamlatham smith

Mouseketeer
place can you tell me if the are bed mattress protector and bikes for people with disability etc so i can go for bike ride round disney and also what others things are there

you can get a pick at fort wilderness and go for a bike rider there also you can get a 2 or 4 person bike at the board walk both are a fee not sure about mattress protectors you may have to call and ask about this

what other things are you looking for there are a number of different disabilities and all have different needs.

Adam I see that you have been asking questions over different forums for weeks. Can you help us to help you by being more specific about what you need.
As far as renting medical supplies ( adult bed rails mentioned on a different thread), I have rented supplies from Care Medical Equipment and been very satisfied.
There are many helpful folks here. Ask away.

i have vary vary mild learning disability it take me long to do things then other people it all cause me problems with spelling and i freezer up in meeting etc but part from that i still do all things i want like go on holiday on my Owen etc as
1) i am not good on bikes are there any with adult 3 wheels bikes etc (straps to hold you in if possible)
2) bed rails to stop me from roll out in the night i have talked to disney and have add them on to my booking
3) bed mattress protector as my bladder is not good at night and sometime need diapers
4) i need a life jackets when in water park and in swimming pools as i dont like deep water and feel like i will drown this is because it has almost happen to me before

Last edited:
1) I've never seen that available.
2) sounds like you've taken care of it.
3) I would bring your own and/or other nighttime aids.
4) they're available first come first served

Hi Adam, I have a mild learning disability called Asperger Syndrome. Adam may I ask your age ? I was born in 1988. May I ask what your disability is called? I am asking these questions to better understand you and your needs.

i have vary vary mild learning disability it take me long to do things then other people it all cause me problems with spelling and i freezer up in meeting etc but part from that i still do all things i want like go on holiday on my Owen etc as
1) i am not good on bikes are there any with adult 3 wheels bikes etc (straps to hold you in if possible)
2) bed rails to stop me from roll out in the night i have talked to disney and have add them on to my booking
3) bed mattress protector as my bladder is not good at night and sometime need diapers
4) i need a life jackets when in water park and in swimming pools as i dont like deep water and feel like i will drown this is because it has almost happen to me before

Adam, :welcome: to the disABILITIES Forum!

With regards to your specific questions:
1) I have not seen any 3-wheel bikes or adult-sized bikes with training wheels. Some resorts do have "surrey bike" rentals which are 4-wheel and designed for 2-4-6 riders. You may be able to do a 2-person surrey by yourself. If that doesn't work for you, there are plenty of other recreational opportunities throughout the WDW resort. We've never actually rented bikes, there's so much to do!

2) As was suggested on your other thread, the bedrails available through WDW resorts are first-come/first-served, which means that if they run out you'll be out of luck. But besides that, I believe they are a model designed for use by young children, not adults. I'm not sure I would trust it to hold an adult's weight. Another PP mentioned Care Medical Equipment or I have heard good reviews recently of Orlando Medical Rentals. Care Medical doesn't specifically list bed rails but may have them available; Orlando Medical does list 2 models of bed rails -- 1 for a young child and another which appears to be adequate for adults, though it might not fit a full/queen bed. I suggest calling one or both companies to ask, as they may be able to help.

3) I have heard of people requesting a waterproof mattress cover or mattress pad from Mousekeeping, though I haven't myself. My family travels with Huggies GoodNights disposable bed pads. They are easy to use and stick to the sheet, then you peel off and throw it away; these are easily found at most grocery stores, drug stores or places like WalMart here in the U.S. There are other brands of disposable bed pads on the Internet as well.

4) Life jackets are available upon request. I believe they are first-come/first-served and I don't know how many are stocked at each pool, so you might need to wait for one to be returned. You might consider a resort that has a "zero-entry" pool. These are pools where you walk into the water just like at a beach, very gradual and you can go as deep or stay as shallow as you wish. I know the Caribbean Beach Resort and Stormalong Bay at the Yacht Club and Beach Club are zero-entry; I also believe the Polynesian Resort, Grand Floridian Resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Saratoga Springs Resort and the Art of Animation also have zero-entry pools.

It sounds like possibly you are from the U.K. (since you want to "go on holiday") or somewhere else outside the U.S. Overseas is a pretty big undertaking, especially if you need to arrange for special needs, so I just wanted to suggest that you make sure you are comfortable with such a large, distant trip by trying something closer to home first. I do not mean to imply that you shouldn't do it, and it sounds like you are thoughtfully considering various aspects to make it work for you.

Enjoy your vacation!

LaneJudy I have a disability too. And my mum does not want me to travel by myself. I am the same age. She wants (and is coming with me ) I think its good to have a safety network when you are disabled. I might go to Sydney by myself as I live in Brisbane in Australia. Its always good to go with people disabled or not. I also think you should talk to the hotel.

my family don't have a problems with go away on owen in uk and outside usa as there know i am able look after myself even with me disability and dont let it get in my way as i travel all the time on my owen in uk and over sea

also what other thing are for people with vary vary mild learning disability in my case Dyspraxia at disney for adults

Last edited:
Not sure if this would help you, but I have seen pool noodles used as bed rails. Maybe they would work? We also use something called a chux for bed protection that is really cheap and you can throw it away.

Do they even have adult sized life jackets at the pools? If not, you can order the correct size (as well as a mattress protector, etc) and have them delivered and waiting for you for your trip.

what other sort of help can disney give to for adults with Dyspraxia as i can still do want i want just take me longer

also what other thing are for people with vary vary mild learning disability in my case Dyspraxia at disney for adults

Here in the U.S., learning disabilities are mainly something accommodated in schools. I suppose it depends on how the individual is affected by that learning disability outside of school as to whether other accommodations might be appropriate. Any accommodations WDW may offer depends on how the Dyspraxia impacts you. What are your specific needs? What I find online about Dyspraxia makes me think an ECV could be helpful if you have difficulty walking and with muscle weakness or stamina. As for speech or writing, there is likely no reason to need an accommodation in the parks; most characters are well trained in non-verbal communication such as hand gestures and body language, and will take their cues from you. Do you have any specific concerns? We can help you with ideas if you give more details of your needs. If you are considering requesting a DAS, please check out the WDW - Disability Access Service thread pinned near the top of this forum; one note, be prepared to explain your NEEDS and not your diagnosis.

Enjoy your vacation!

what do you mean by ECV and the problems i have are for Dyspraxia
1)Poor balance. Difficulty in riding a bicycle
2) flat feet (need insole but i am try to get some piedro boots with the hospital if not i buy them privately to use with my insole before i come to disney to try and help me)
3) i cant alway say what i want and put it in words but i can more easily on computer when do paper work
4) Tend to get stressed, depressed and anxious easily
5) Difficulty in standing for a long time but i get round this by use my mobile on he internet
6) fears in my case i need a life jacket when in deep water like swimming pools etc

Last edited:
From what I can understand from your posts, you have some gross motor difficulties combined with speech and perhaps writing?

An ecv is an electric conveyance vehicle, or a motorized scooter. If you have a driver's license in the UK, you probably have the hand eye coordination necessary to drive one of these at WDW. It would take care of your balance and standing problems. But driving one of these requires constant attention and vigilence in the crowded parks. If this would be a problem for you, or cause too much additional stress, then have a look at a rollator. It is a wheeled walker with its own seat. This could help with balance, as well as providing an instant seat when you can no longer stand. The internet isn't going to help your endurance in the parks.

Any specific equipment that you may need to meet your problems should be rented or purchased offsite, since anything at the Disney Resorts is strictly first come first served. If they don't have any more when you arrive, there is nothing Disney will do about it. As others have mentioned, look at some of the Orlando equipment rental suppliers, or purchase them and have them delivered to your resort.

You may find that planning each of your days, especially in the parks, will help to manage your stress and anxiety. Have a general touring plan, like the ones on the cheat sheets at easywdw.com. This will give you a loose itinerary to follow, so you know what to do next; but not so rigid a timetable that you would be stressed if things don't go exactly as planned. Get enough rest and don't try to do everything. It's impossible for anyone, so try to relax and just do what you can comfortably manage each day. If you find yourself getting too stressed or anxious, find a quiet spot to rest in for a while, or go back to your resort for a break.

3) i cant alway say what i want and put it in words but i can more easily on computer when do paper work

When our son was very young he often had issues trying to say things and he would get really stressed out and upset. I found that having him spell out the word worked and we could understand what he was asking for. All of this is to say that it might help you if you carried around some notepaper and a pen so that you can write down instead of talking. You could also use a cell phone to type out what you are trying to say. Finally, you could print out some common sentences that you might have to say so that you could hand them to whoever you are trying to communicate with.

Bikes -
Some resorts have surrey bikes to rent. Not all resorts do. The smallest are designed for 2 people. It might be difficult for one person to pedal because they are pretty heavy. They don't have seat rots or foot straps. This link tells more:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/surrey-bikes/

Pools -
As was mentioned, some resorts have zero entry pools, which means they have a gradual entry to walk in. There is more information, including a list of all zero entry pools with pictures, on one of the posts in the disABILITIES FAQs thread. You can follow the link in my signature to that thread or look near the top of this board.
Do they even have adult sized life jackets at the pools? If not, you can order the correct size (as well as a mattress protector, etc) and have them delivered and waiting for you for your trip.
They do have various adult sized life jackets, up to extra-extra large. They should be available at all pools at the resort, but will be at least at the main pool at each resort.

They do have mattress protectors available from Housekeeping, but they are first come, first serve. So, it's safest to bring or rent them from off site.

Not sure if this would help you, but I have seen pool noodles used as bed rails. Maybe they would work? We also use something called a chux for bed protection that is really cheap and you can throw it away.
Some people do use pool noodles to help prevent rolling out of bed. The idea is that the pool noodle is a 'bump' at the edge of the bed that discourages people from rolling over it and falling out of bed.
That won't work at WDW resorts though. The pool noodles are held in place by fitted sheets. WDW uses flat sheets at all their resorts, so there would be nothing to hold a pool noodle in place on the bed.
I agree with others who posted that your best bet might be renting them from a medical supply place. I think you said you had already put bedrails on your reservation. If they don't work out, you could call one of the rental companies to get some that will work.

i am try to get some piedro boots from the hospital if not will be them privately to help me with my fleet feet as well as my insoles. what advice will you say about using them at disney in the heat etc i am going to to try the Rehabilitation from uk and use them round the house and send them back if there are no good will then try stability footwear which i will have to get in the usa if hospital uk don't help at all

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter