Disabled Parking - Cheaters?

Schmeck said:
Or getting back in, right? ;)

I thought HP spots were also designed to be bigger than regular parking slots, so that sideloading lifts could unload as well?
Some of the spots are larger, with a loading area next to them, but most of the spots are no bigger than an average parking spot in the same lot. One of my pet peaves (since we do have a ramp) is people in cars with handicapped permits who park in the larger spots. I have no way of knowing if that was the only spot available when they got there, or whether they just parked there without realizing that some psots are larger than others.
clkelley said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Bell
There should be a little credit card size ID permit you carry in your wallet. It has the name, the expiration, the number of placards and the serial numbers (from the tags) on it. Probably your husband carries it with him as usually you only get one ID card for all vehicles .

They do check occassionly where I live for matching ID and tags.

Linda

Nope, nothing like that, at least not here in Alabama.
clkelley said:
That's really odd, in Alabama, there is no identifying information on the hang tags at all. The expiration year is permanently printed on the placard and the expiration month is punched. It does have a serial number on it, so I guess they could cross-reference it on a computer check, but I've never heard of it being done. Currently most permanent disable hang cards in Alabama expire in 2007. Hubby has a permanent tag on his car and he got a hang tag for my truck for when he is in the truck.
There are certain Federal minimum requirements that all the states have to meet - those include things like the size of the handicapped parking permit, the color (blue is a longer expiration date for long term disability; red is a temporary parking permit for temporary disabilities) and a way to positively identify the person who the parking permit is issued to.
Different states have different ways of doing that. Some have chosen to issue a special ID to the person it is issued to, some have not because it's not a requirement. And, it becomes something else to carry - even without a special card, the serial number on the card can be checked in the computer and compared to a driver's license or other ID.

When we lived in Wisconsin, DD's first permit had her name and age printed right on the permit. Her second one from Wisconsin just said something like female and her year of birth (so a 30 yr old woman would not be able to use her grandmother's permit).
Her current (Minnesota) permit has a number on it, but no other ID.
clkelley said:
Currently most permanent disable hang cards in Alabama expire in 2007.
The reason for that is there were some changes in the requirements for handicapped parking permits - at one point, if you had a permanent disability; you got a permanent card with no expiration date. That lead to a lot of abuse - when Grandma died, someone else might use the card forever until they were caught. I don't remember the year, but the requirements changed to mandate that all cards expire and need to be renewed after a certain amount of time. So, anyone who had a "permanent" card when that changed would have gotten a new card with a new expiration date that year and would be up for "renewal" in the same year. (which seems to be 2007 in Alabama).

Are you following me?;) Most caddy's have lumbar support systems & various other niceities for "bad backs". Think once you're pushing 50 comfort becomes an issue for us all.

As for handicap placards, we're new to this. Assume we can use PA issued card w/rental car in FL?

OT Q #1 - are hc parking spots readily available @ the parks (other than opening time) & hotels? If all spots are gone, is there up-close/drop off areas near the park gates.

OT Q #2 - generally, is it considered "poor form" to park in van spot if no others are available.
sames1 said:
It is me, or does there seem to be an adnormal about of Cadillacs with HC stickers? Perhaps people with disabilities prefer Cadillacs more or my reticular activator is kicking in. I don't know.

keishashadow said:
As for handicap placards, we're new to this. Assume we can use PA issued card w/rental car in FL?

OT Q #1 - are hc parking spots readily available @ the parks (other than opening time) & hotels? If all spots are gone, is there up-close/drop off areas near the park gates.
OT Q #2 - generally, is it considered "poor form" to park in van spot if no others are available

Yes

If you don't have a wheelchair or scooter you will be closer if you park in the regular spots and tell the parking person that you need to park on the end next to the tram for medical reasons

.There is nothing that says you can't park in the spot. However, as a person that had a side lift I can tell you that if there isn't a spot for someone with a side lift or two regular parking spaces so a van can park taking up both spaces then the person in the van is out of luck.

I park in a monthly only lot that is owned by the city. Everyday on my way walking in I always just look to see when the pass expires on those in the handicap spaces and today there was a brand new jag parked in a handicap spot with a permit that expired in 2002 :sad2: . I walked over and explained to the person that verifies that we have a monthly pass when we enter the lot and told her that as a mother of 2 kids in wheelchairs it ticks me off when people abuse it and someone with a pass that expired 4 years ago is an abuser. She called to have the car ticketed. :woohoo:
:banana:

Michigan said:
I park in a monthly only lot that is owned by the city. Everyday on my way walking in I always just look to see when the pass expires on those in the handicap spaces and today there was a brand new jag parked in a handicap spot with a permit that expired in 2002 :sad2: . I walked over and explained to the person that verifies that we have a monthly pass when we enter the lot and told her that as a mother of 2 kids in wheelchairs it ticks me off when people abuse it and someone with a pass that expired 4 years ago is an abuser. She called to have the car ticketed. :woohoo:
:banana:

good for you!!! :cheer2:

Mother is 84 and can barely walk 10 steps without suport....

but she still complaints she is not disabled...

anyway a last year I got her to get a handicapped parking permit...before then at one of the reststop at Florida she was gone 30 minutes - I finally went to look for her.... She had gotten lost and I mean lost at the reststop...

so if putting the car where mother can see it means taking one for you van - sorry... but my heart can't afford to lose her again...

If I can't park where she can see it - I go (with Spicey) and wait outside so she can see me.

Alabama does not kept up with the plascent the way other states seems too.

She got no card (I would have kept it - she is losing stuff). I kept parking permit in my car - but I only do disabled when she is in the car.... Al charges an extra $50 for the disabled tag and that is too much for mother to afford it.

I still can't get her to use her parking permit - when I am not with her....

one day she is going to get killed going to the grocery store - she is going to walk in front of a teen driver going to fast....because she won't use the disabled parking...

I do not use a lift. I drive a car. I park in the van accessible spots a lot because in some places they are the only handicapped spots that have lines on one side. I HAVE to have room to get my car door open all the way so I can unload my wheelchair. If I park in a regular handicapped spot and someone parks too close to me, I cannot get into my car.

So don't assume every car that is parked in a van accessible spot is an inconsiderate person.

Thanks. Probably sounds stupid but, we've never been on one of their trams...do transport chairs fit into them?

We have a new super Wal-Mart by us & they have spots that sit parallel as opposed to the traditional "head-on" parking for vans...think it's a great idea.

Michigan said:
Yes

If you don't have a wheelchair or scooter you will be closer if you park in the regular spots and tell the parking person that you need to park on the end next to the tram for medical reasons

.There is nothing that says you can't park in the spot. However, as a person that had a side lift I can tell you that if there isn't a spot for someone with a side lift or two regular parking spaces so a van can park taking up both spaces then the person in the van is out of luck.

Tissa said:
I had a lady make a comment to me a while back at the grocery store about not looking disabled. Well I'm not but my ds in the back is :wave2:

The problem I have been running into lately is at ds's school. It has a small parking lot and only has 3 handicapped spaces and they are always full of cars with NO handicapped tags. I spoke to the principal about this one day and she told me that it was a problem and I needed to call the police on them. Isn't this her school? We were running late for a Dr's appt so I just wrote a note and put on the cars that said they were parking illegally and the police have been notified. Hopefully it scared them a little.
All the principal can do is call the police same as you. Block their car and call the police.

Biscuitsmom31 said:
I told her that I'm married to a disabled man who NEEDs one of those spots and if she was going to park in it she would have to run over my dead body.
Well, you're still alive, so at least we know she doesn't do it when you're around :)

Tissa said:
spoke to the principal about this one day and she told me that it was a problem and I needed to call the police on them. Isn't this her school?
It actually is a police/law issue, so I can see why the police would need to be called - but you mean the principal should have made the phone call, right? She probably doesn't want to alienate those other drivers :rolleyes:

SueM in MN said:
Some of the spots are larger, with a loading area next to them, but most of the spots are no bigger than an average parking spot in the same lot. One of my pet peaves (since we do have a ramp) is people in cars with handicapped permits who park in the larger spots. I have no way of knowing if that was the only spot available when they got there, or whether they just parked there without realizing that some psots are larger than others.
I know somebody here (who I won't identify, but the Dis-er may speak up on his/her own) often has problems at one of the parks with idiots - Sue, is mild profanity acceptable? I'll edit that to say what I really mean ;)) who park in the striped areas between HP spaces! I wouldn't be surprised if you find the same thing, but at least one of you can pull your van out of the space so you can extend the ramp. This person doesn't have that option and may not be able to access the van for hours!

clkelly said:
They do check occassionly where I live for matching ID and tags
I went to a concert here (Tweeter Center, Mansfield MA) last year. When I pulled into the HP lot, the parking attendant needed to actually examine my placard to make sure it was valid, legitimate and with MY picture on it. I frankly don't care if they have the 'right' to do this - although it's private property - I appreciate that they DO do it.

SueM in MN said:
The reason for that is there were some changes in the requirements for handicapped parking permits - at one point, if you had a permanent disability; you got a permanent card with no expiration date. That lead to a lot of abuse - when Grandma died, someone else might use the card forever until they were caught.
LOL - yeah, my sister has my dad's eternal placard, his expiring placard, my brother's expiring placard and the one the RMV finally sent my mom after she died. NO, she does not use them!!!!!!!!!!!! She bought my mom's house, so she got everything in it as well :) Anyway, dad's original placard I'm surprised hasn't disintigrated yet - but I still see people using those, and in about the same condition!

keishashadow said:
Thanks. Probably sounds stupid but, we've never been on one of their trams...do transport chairs fit into them?
Probably not. I mean, you need to be able to fold it and it can't take up the space where somebody else would sit, and everybody needs to be sitting. And the trams aren't accessible - you need to step up into and down from them.

I had something happen today.I was taking my DD to a Dr appt in Orlando. Parking is a NIGHTNARE. I finally gave in a went to park in the garage. The attentent was questioning me about needed handicap parking, which really caught me off guard she said with a attitude" You need a handicap spot?" I said excuse me? It is for my daughter in a WC. She took a few mins to process and let me in. Sad part there was no handicap parking availible so I had to park on level 2 and attempt to get her chair up a step to get to an evelvator. It is amazing how not being able to get an accessible parking spot can make an incredibly difficult day that much harder. :sad2:

kaytieeldr said:
I know somebody here (who I won't identify, but the Dis-er may speak up on his/her own) often has problems at one of the parks with idiots - Sue, is mild profanity acceptable? I'll edit that to say what I really mean ;)) who park in the striped areas between HP spaces! I wouldn't be surprised if you find the same thing, but at least one of you can pull your van out of the space so you can extend the ramp. This person doesn't have that option and may not be able to access the van for hours!

This has happened to my DH several times. He has had people park their motorcycles or cars in the yellow striped zones right next to our van. It has happened more than once when the kids were with him. He just had to wait until they moved so he could lower the lift. I don't think these people really intended to leave him stranded. I think they were just thoughtless and in a hurry.

I have the Orange, Osceola and Polk County Sheriff's non-emergency numbers in my cell phone, as well as the Orlando and Kissimmee Police Departments. I am always more than willing to call in and report illegal use of handicap spaces.

LindsayDunn228 said:
I do not use a lift. I drive a car. I park in the van accessible spots a lot because in some places they are the only handicapped spots that have lines on one side. I HAVE to have room to get my car door open all the way so I can unload my wheelchair. If I park in a regular handicapped spot and someone parks too close to me, I cannot get into my car.

So don't assume every car that is parked in a van accessible spot is an inconsiderate person.
Sorry.
When I wrote I was thinking of Target, where I go most and have problems most.
They have crosshatched loading areas beside each handicapped parking spot, and you would have space (plus space left over) to open your door in the regular handicapped spots at the Targets close to us.
Their van accessible spots have a crosshatched spot almost as wide as a regular parking spot next to it.

Edited to add:
I should have added a "disclamer" in my first post sort of similar to what I usually put when the subject of handicapped stalls in bathrooms come up; that some people are using them by choice and some by necessity and that I hope those who can choose will choose to leave the van accessible handicapped spots for those who don't have a choice. Most people I see using them are not using a wheelchair or a walker, so they could fit in a regular handicapped spot easily. Most people are just not aware that there are different size of access spaces.

Also, the regular handicapped spots are supposed to have a 5 foot wide access spot next to them, which should be wide enough for a car door to fully open without needing to use the van accessible space (which should have an 8 foot wide access space). Some of the spaces are supposed to be on the passenger size and some on the driver side like this:
ADA parking requirements (that is a non-official summary page, but it includes links to the actual ADA site - the info is much harder to find on the actual site).
Anyway, those are the minimum requirements. Minnesota must be pretty good about making places follow them because what is listed there, is pretty much what I find. Some states probably aren't and some places might think all that's involved in providing handicapped parking is putting a sign on one of their regular spots.
If it's not possible to park in a regular handicapped spot and fully open the door, it sounds like the stalls probably do not meet the minimum requirement. Or, they may have all the access spaces on one side - some should be on the passenger side and some should be on the driver side, since the person who needs the extra space may be on either side. If they don't meet the minimum requirements, the place can be forced to change them or be fined.

kaytieeldr said:

you know I actually saw this happen....I didn't say anything - next time I will definitely mention to him that is blocking someone.

I don't like cheaters, either, but I never assume other people are guilty of that. I know that's exactly what we look like unless we're carting a wheelchair which we do only occassionally. If my son needs a chair at Walmart, he can use theirs. I will drop him at the door then go park to avoid using our placard, but there are times we really need it. My point is that we look like two perfectly healthy adults with 3 healthy kids, yet my son is homebound from school and taking light chemotherapy for JA, but that's not what people see. They see a family who they think has grandma's placard. Unless you know the person, you can't know if they are cheating.

BTW - In TX there's no ID to prove you own the placard, but your license plate numbers are on the application. FL does have a system of some sort, but we got a warning for using my son's placard in a FL car. I told them the placard goes with a person not a car.

I once saw someone parked in the striped area in a shopping center when I lived in Virginia. I called the local police department and when I came out of the store about 15 minutes later the tow truck was hooking up and I could see a ticket tucked under the windshield wiper.

Cheshire Figment said:
I once saw someone parked in the striped area in a shopping center when I lived in Virginia. I called the local police department and when I came out of the store about 15 minutes later the tow truck was hooking up and I could see a ticket tucked under the windshield wiper.
I think the police are more aware now. We have already been blocked in by someone doing that (VERY annoying). I went back into the mall, complained to mall security and had them call the police (this was a long time ago and I didn't have cell phone). When the policeman came, he said he could not ticket the car because there was "no sign that said you couldn't park there." I said I thought that was what the crosshatched lines meant, but he still would not issue a ticket.
Since then, I have called in myself, didn't wait around and have seen people with tickets. I have also written notes and left them on cars parked on the cross hatched spots to let them know they were parked on a necessary access lane and could get a ticket for parking there.

LOL! There's a supermarket a few miles from me that actually posts signs at the crosshatched or closed-striped areas stating that it's illegal to park there.

Yeah, I know I'm getting a little :off-topic: but the doughnut shop I stop at most mornings is in a mini-strip mall (three stores = mini, right?) and almost every day, despite numerous available designated parking spaces, some twit or other simply HAS to park blocking the curb cut :rolleyes: Now, this doesn't affect me because I generally use the drive-through, but more than once when I've gone into the shop and come out to find this, I'll go back in and ask whose car that is. No, I don't need it, but why are they parking there? People need to be made aware.

Linda Bell said:
There should be a little credit card size ID permit you carry in your wallet. It has the name, the expiration, the number of placards and the serial numbers (from the tags) on it.

In Washington state they have these! I think the placard should have the picture of the person on it.

SueM in MN said:
When the policeman came, he said he could not ticket the car because there was "no sign that said you couldn't park there." I said I thought that was what the crosshatched lines meant, but he still would not issue a ticket.

Were they painted a solid yellow line.
I believe there is one of those in the center of most roads (no passing zone) and if you cross it you have earned a ticket. There is no sign for that!
Cops do not always do what they should.
Mikeeee

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter