Dis / Dreams Viking Sea Cruise around Italy 3/24 - 3/31/2018

Let me check with my trip planner to see when our flight leaves on the 31st, we might be able to split a ride with you!

Bob and Nancy

FYI regarding transportation to the airport in Venice post-cruise.

I was traveling so was late to sign up for the Viking option (which was $49/person) so I reached out to a company I saw recommended (Venice Limousine) regarding transportation from the port to the airport on the 31st:
- they quoted me a rate of Euro 58 by credit card Euro 50 if pay by cash for a car that fits 2 people
- for up to 6 people it would be Euro 68/60
- for up to 8 people it would be Euro 83/75

If anyone is in a similar situation and needs to get to the airport that morning (our flight is at 11:55am) and would want to split a ride, let me know and I can book a larger car

Looks like our departing flight from Venice may be too early for you all. Ours leaves at 10:00 am. Oh well, it was a good thought!

I still need a ride from FCO on 3/22 to Bristol Bernini ....

I was looking at the excursions, and noticed one I was interested in says "Demanding", anyone have any idea how demanding that is? Do they mean demanding for an elderly person? Demanding like running around WDW in the summer.... Any ideas?

I still need a ride from FCO on 3/22 to Bristol Bernini ....

I was looking at the excursions, and noticed one I was interested in says "Demanding", anyone have any idea how demanding that is? Do they mean demanding for an elderly person? Demanding like running around WDW in the summer.... Any ideas?

I struggled with that also for the Pompeii excursion. After years of standing in one place not moving for hours as a pharmacist and having arthritis in my feet I can walk for hours but standing in a non moving line is painful. WDW, because the lines move and you can move around within the line are uncomfortable but not prohibitive but I don't do SB if it is more than 1/2 hour -40 minutes.

Here is what I worked out for myself. First I watched a Rick Steves video of a tour of the Pompeii Ruins and there is no steep climbing or serious hiking involved. We are visiting the ruin not hiking Mt. Vesuvius. The "Demanding" term in part says "Activities by foot may contain difficult and unpaved surfaces and/or multiple stairs and steep inclines. Total walking or standing may exceed 3 hours." There will be a 40 minute bus ride each way taking more than hour out of the 4 hour tour and there is plenty of room to move around at the ruin so I don't think standing for long periods would be involved. I also purchased Rick Steves book on Naples which includes Pompeii and he provides a small map of the ruin which includes water closets mapped out and a cafeteria. There is free time included on the tour and if my feet hurt that would be a good time to get a coffee.

In this case I think the demanding part is the difficult and unpaved surface so I purchased a good set of walking shoes. The soles of walking shoes are stiffer than sneakers making them better for uneven surfaces like cobblestones. Yea, they are old lady shoes but if the shoe fits.......;) As my DH pointed out the average age of a Viking passenger is over 55 and I read a big discussion of how upset some people are about the "No Scooter" policy so the bar is probably pretty low on what is considered "Demanding."

:offtopic: but I had to share. Years ago just as the Meatpacking District in NYC started to become hot my DH and I would eat outside at Pastis and I'm telling you there is nothing funnier than watching a twenty something dressed to the hilt struggle in high heels on cobblestones. It just can not be done gracefully at any age.:crutches:

I struggled with that also for the Pompeii excursion. After years of standing in one place not moving for hours as a pharmacist and having arthritis in my feet I can walk for hours but standing in a non moving line is painful. WDW, because the lines move and you can move around within the line are uncomfortable but not prohibitive but I don't do SB if it is more than 1/2 hour -40 minutes.

Here is what I worked out for myself. First I watched a Rick Steves video of a tour of the Pompeii Ruins and there is no steep climbing or serious hiking involved. We are visiting the ruin not hiking Mt. Vesuvius. The "Demanding" term in part says "Activities by foot may contain difficult and unpaved surfaces and/or multiple stairs and steep inclines. Total walking or standing may exceed 3 hours." There will be a 40 minute bus ride each way taking more than hour out of the 4 hour tour and there is plenty of room to move around at the ruin so I don't think standing for long periods would be involved. I also purchased Rick Steves book on Naples which includes Pompeii and he provides a small map of the ruin which includes water closets mapped out and a cafeteria. There is free time included on the tour and if my feet hurt that would be a good time to get a coffee.

In this case I think the demanding part is the difficult and unpaved surface so I purchased a good set of walking shoes. The soles of walking shoes are stiffer than sneakers making them better for uneven surfaces like cobblestones. Yea, they are old lady shoes but if the shoe fits.......;) As my DH pointed out the average age of a Viking passenger is over 55 and I read a big discussion of how upset some people are about the "No Scooter" policy so the bar is probably pretty low on what is considered "Demanding."

:offtopic: but I had to share. Years ago just as the Meatpacking District in NYC started to become hot my DH and I would eat outside at Pastis and I'm telling you there is nothing funnier than watching a twenty something dressed to the hilt struggle in high heels on cobblestones. It just can not be done gracefully at any age.:crutches:

Awesome info!! Double like for all that info :)! I forgot about their demographic! I have good sneakers, which serve me well... Not sure about "walking" shoes.... I find it hard to find clothes in general that I like!

I have my flight booked now from CDG to FCO, the plane arrives at 3:15pm.... Anyone else arriving at that time want to share a car?

It's official, my flight leaves at 1:05p... Do we need to be at the airport 3 hours before our flights?

I just put in the official request for the 6 passenger van - I put a pick up time of 8:45. They said it takes ~20 mins to get to the airport so that should be just under 3 hours before our flight, just over 4 for you

If anyone else is interested we have 3 more seats!

I just put in the official request for the 6 passenger van - I put a pick up time of 8:45. They said it takes ~20 mins to get to the airport so that should be just under 3 hours before our flight, just over 4 for you

If anyone else is interested we have 3 more seats!

Thank you!

I still need a ride from Bernini Bristol to the ship.... Hoping to go as later rather than earlier....

What are the must do's in Rome? I very much want to check out some churches.... I understand the best time of day for inside lighting in mid day... Any suggestions?

Also I just watched a youtube video yesterday that said there is a very long wait for the Coliseum....

Hi everyone,

I've been following much of what has been posted here, but have yet to chime in. My wife and I (Chris and Leilani) are looking forward to sailing with everyone even though we've never met anyone yet. We have travelled extensively, but we're very novice cruisers (a 3 and 4 night Disney cruise in the last 10 years).

I let the dates of this cruise get away from me and have been playing catch up with my pre and post cruise accommodations and activities. We're arriving in Rome on the 21st to spend a few days at our favorite places around the city. While not very Italian, there's a great Monet exhibit that will still be on when we arrive...just in case there Impressionist fans out there. After a night in Venice post-cruise, we're going to move along to Florence for a few days to round out the Italian vacation.

The only thing I still need to sort out is our transportation from Rome to the port. We're staying in an apartment on the Forum, but can grab a cab to meet up with others if someone still has space for two more in a van/shuttle. I don't mind leaving early either. If this works for someone, let me know!

Time to start packing!

Hi everyone,

I've been following much of what has been posted here, but have yet to chime in. My wife and I (Chris and Leilani) are looking forward to sailing with everyone even though we've never met anyone yet. We have travelled extensively, but we're very novice cruisers (a 3 and 4 night Disney cruise in the last 10 years).

I let the dates of this cruise get away from me and have been playing catch up with my pre and post cruise accommodations and activities. We're arriving in Rome on the 21st to spend a few days at our favorite places around the city. While not very Italian, there's a great Monet exhibit that will still be on when we arrive...just in case there Impressionist fans out there. After a night in Venice post-cruise, we're going to move along to Florence for a few days to round out the Italian vacation.

The only thing I still need to sort out is our transportation from Rome to the port. We're staying in an apartment on the Forum, but can grab a cab to meet up with others if someone still has space for two more in a van/shuttle. I don't mind leaving early either. If this works for someone, let me know!

Time to start packing!

Welcome to the thread! Hope you have a good time... See you on the ship!

How is everyone getting from FCO to Bristol Bernini, and from Bristol Bernini to the ship? I guess I could just Uber.... When in doubt... Uber out!

How is everyone getting from FCO to Bristol Bernini, and from Bristol Bernini to the ship? I guess I could just Uber.... When in doubt... Uber out!

We booked a car with blacklane from FCO to the Bernini - as for from Bernini to the ship there were a number of vans, etc. organized several (probably many several at this point) pages ago - not sure where they stand as far as capacity

We booked a car with blacklane from FCO to the Bernini - as for from Bernini to the ship there were a number of vans, etc. organized several (probably many several at this point) pages ago - not sure where they stand as far as capacity

How much was Blacklane?

Anyone feel free to chime in :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts