Dis Breast Cancer Survivors Part IV - GAGWTA

Was really hoping for Door 2. So sad to hear that, Maryann. You are in my prayers too. Keep fighting the good fight.

Well I had my first Chemo on March 29th. I had about 4 days of exhaustion, then 6 days straight of diarrhea and currently I am on day 3 of being in the hospital because I have ****ing pneumonia :(. I have my second chemo next Tuesday.

Is every post cycle the same or do you get different symptoms with each one, or worsening symptoms? I am getting taxotere and cytoxan x 4. I'm scared to see what will happen after this next one!!

Well I called the dr. today since I didn't hear anything

She finally called me back and unfortunately I got Door1 - the cancer is back so dh and I are going to talk to her tomm. and see what her treatment plan is that she has in mind. I know I mentioned to her that I didnt want the surgeon who almost killed me to operate on me, so I hope that the one who saved my life will operate if that is what she has in mind. I am sure it will be surgery since I have the rare aggressive variant of it.

I have a feeling we wont be going n that disney trip in May. Glad I only made the adrs so far, lol. I also think teaching will be out this summer which I love, such is life,

Say a prayer for me. Thanks

GAGWTA P.S. - Cancer sucks!
Sorry to hear those results, lmp. How did you make out at the appt? Of course, you are in my prayers, always.

Well I had my first Chemo on March 29th. I had about 4 days of exhaustion, then 6 days straight of diarrhea and currently I am on day 3 of being in the hospital because I have ****ing pneumonia :(. I have my second chemo next Tuesday.

Is every post cycle the same or do you get different symptoms with each one, or worsening symptoms? I am getting taxotere and cytoxan x 4. I'm scared to see what will happen after this next one!!
That is an interesting combination. Are you sure it's not adriamycin and cytoxan, then taxotere after those are done?

But to answer your question (as best I can), some of the symptoms will be the same, like the exhaustion, and maybe not feeling great. Not sure about the diarrhea, you may have to just see on that one (hopefully not!) although GI upset is always a concern. I would probably "beef up" my GI track before the next chemo by not eating a lot of fibrous foods a day or two beforehand (even though they're "healthy"), maybe stick with small amounts of comfort food and things known to help with (or in this case, hopefully prevent) diarrhea like with a BRAT diet, and of course, plenty of fluids. The pneumonia may not have been a symptom of the chemo, what did your team say about that? I certainly would not expect you to get that with every chemo! At least I hope not! Hopefully that was a fluke with that first time - there are so many germs going around right now! The symptoms of exhaustion can compound with each chemo. Were you able to rest during the chemo period at all? Were you still working? I think we really have to listen to what our bodies are telling us, even though we might not want to. We hear so many stories of women breezing through chemo, then wonder why we might not be the same way. Every person is different. I know I was fighting it at first, thinking I could keep up with regular life, but at some point I had to give in to just letting my body rest, as it beat me down pretty good. The way it usually works is that it knocks you down for a few days, then you start to feel better and they whack you with another one. This, they explained to me, is how it knocks the cancer cells down that it's designed to kill. Just as they're getting back up again, too, the chemo knocks them down. It's tough on those renegade cells, but, unfortunately, it's tough on the rest of your body, too. You are likely going to be pretty weak after your pneumonia. They may choose to wait on the next chemo. Be good to yourself. Rest. Put things aside for this, whatever you're doing. I mean, move around and what not, but don't overdo it. Soon enough, it will be over.

Last edited:
Sounds like a bad reaction to me. Make sure your doctors are fully aware of all the symptoms, diarrhea all of it. They need to monitor you closely next time. Some people have a healthy immune system and can handle a dose of toxins ok, they just got cancer. Others have a compromised immune system already and it's so much harder for them to handle it. I already had a diagnosed auto immune disorder and was so thankful I wasn't being strongly urged to do chemo because I knew I couldn't anyway.

Sorry to hear those results, lmp. How did you make out at the appt? Of course, you are in my prayers, always.

That is an interesting combination. Are you sure it's not adriamycin and cytoxan, then taxotere after those are done?

But to answer your question (as best I can), some of the symptoms will be the same, like the exhaustion, and maybe not feeling great. Not sure about the diarrhea, you may have to just see on that one (hopefully not!) although GI upset is always a concern. I would probably "beef up" my GI track before the next chemo by not eating a lot of fibrous foods a day or two beforehand (even though they're "healthy"), maybe stick with small amounts of comfort food and things known to help with (or in this case, hopefully prevent) diarrhea like with a BRAT diet, and of course, plenty of fluids. The pneumonia may not have been a symptom of the chemo, what did your team say about that? I certainly would not expect you to get that with every chemo! At least I hope not! Hopefully that was a fluke with that first time - there are so many germs going around right now! The symptoms of exhaustion can compound with each chemo. Were you able to rest during the chemo period at all? Were you still working? I think we really have to listen to what our bodies are telling us, even though we might not want to. We hear so many stories of women breezing through chemo, then wonder why we might not be the same way. Every person is different. I know I was fighting it at first, thinking I could keep up with regular life, but at some point I had to give in to just letting my body rest, as it beat me down pretty good. The way it usually works is that it knocks you down for a few days, then you start to feel better and they whack you with another one. This, they explained to me, is how it knocks the cancer cells down that it's designed to kill. Just as they're getting back up again, too, the chemo knocks them down. It's tough on those renegade cells, but, unfortunately, it's tough on the rest of your body, too. You are likely going to be pretty weak after your pneumonia. They may choose to wait on the next chemo. Be good to yourself. Rest. Put things aside for this, whatever you're doing. I mean, move around and what not, but don't overdo it. Soon enough, it will be over.

Nope definitely taxotere (not taxol) and cytoxan. Both together for 4 cycles 3 weeks apart.

I stayed home every day till this last Friday when I went to work. Monday I was in the hospital :(

Nope definitely taxotere (not taxol) and cytoxan. Both together for 4 cycles 3 weeks apart.

I stayed home every day till this last Friday when I went to work. Monday I was in the hospital :(
What did your team say about the pneumonia?

It sounds like they give TC as a combination frequently now, but other combinations are still out there. I have a friend who had treatment recently and still did the AC/T combination. Maybe it's regional, lol.

At any rate, looking through the usual side effects and commentary, diarrhea can be one of them, but not pneumonia. Usually they give you a cocktail of premeds to prevent nausea and reactions, I'm sure you must've gotten those. You might have to see how the second one goes, probably when you are better. Have you gotten the neulasta yet? That can cause muscle aches pretty badly, but they give you Claritin beforehand and supposedly that cuts down on the symptoms. Nice to have that, as it wasn't known when I was getting taxol (same family as taxotere with similar symptoms). I also saw that some people now bring a frozen drink to cut down on mouth sores (which, thankfully, I never got). Hopefull the next dose goes better. You may have just been unlucky to have gotten a bug around the same time as your first chemo. Last summer I caught norovirus in a hospital when I was visiting a friend. Ironic, since I work in a hospital and rarely get sick. I also got a sinus infection last month on a plane. And literally since I wrote my first post here earlier, I've started feeling my throat getting sore. Ugh!!

What did your team say about the pneumonia?

It sounds like they give TC as a combination frequently now, but other combinations are still out there. I have a friend who had treatment recently and still did the AC/T combination. Maybe it's regional, lol.

At any rate, looking through the usual side effects and commentary, diarrhea can be one of them, but not pneumonia. Usually they give you a cocktail of premeds to prevent nausea and reactions, I'm sure you must've gotten those. You might have to see how the second one goes, probably when you are better. Have you gotten the neulasta yet? That can cause muscle aches pretty badly, but they give you Claritin beforehand and supposedly that cuts down on the symptoms. Nice to have that, as it wasn't known when I was getting taxol (same family as taxotere with similar symptoms). I also saw that some people now bring a frozen drink to cut down on mouth sores (which, thankfully, I never got). Hopefull the next dose goes better. You may have just been unlucky to have gotten a bug around the same time as your first chemo. Last summer I caught norovirus in a hospital when I was visiting a friend. Ironic, since I work in a hospital and rarely get sick. I also got a sinus infection last month on a plane. And literally since I wrote my first post here earlier, I've started feeling my throat getting sore. Ugh!!

I haven't spoken to them, the admitting Dr did. My onc is in Chicago, I live in NJ. I fly to CTCA. I had teeth pulled the week before my first chemo and they gave me some mouth wash that they told me to use all through chemo too as it will help prevent mouth sores.

I haven't spoken to them, the admitting Dr did. My onc is in Chicago, I live in NJ. I fly to CTCA. I had teeth pulled the week before my first chemo and they gave me some mouth wash that they told me to use all through chemo too as it will help prevent mouth sores.
Ah, maybe you got sick on the plane, too! We all did, even my son, who was on a different plane than us. They don't clean in between flights, and so many people fly sick.

Do you mind if I ask why you're going so far from home for chemo? PM me if you prefer! I do remember you saying you were going there in your first post but not sure if you ever said why.

Do you mind if I ask why you're going so far from home for chemo? PM me if you prefer! I do remember you saying you were going there in your first post but not sure if you ever said why.

Because I like how they handle things. The CTCA closest to me in PA does not take our insurance, but Chicago does. Memorial Sloan Kettering was another option but our insurance wouldn't approve there. I didn't want to go to just any hospital that treats cancer, I wanted a cancer center that handles everything for you. It's stress free dealing with them, even with the flying etc. they pay for all of my flights, the paid for the flights for my husband for our first trip but will only pay for me moving forward. It's a small price Tom pay for the peace they give me.

Because I like how they handle things. The CTCA closest to me in PA does not take our insurance, but Chicago does. Memorial Sloan Kettering was another option but our insurance wouldn't approve there. I didn't want to go to just any hospital that treats cancer, I wanted a cancer center that handles everything for you. It's stress free dealing with them, even with the flying etc. they pay for all of my flights, the paid for the flights for my husband for our first trip but will only pay for me moving forward. It's a small price Tom pay for the peace they give me.
Ah, ok. Makes sense. Thanks!

I am a lurker to this thread but everyone is always in my thoughts and prayers. My mom went through breast cancer twice. Curious are you in North Jersey? We are originally from Bergen County and now in Burlington County. MD Anderson is now connected with Cooper, so most that I know now go there. My moms first time with cancer was when she was in North Jersey and used local doctors. She went to her doctor and who he recommended. DH and I moved to South Jersey first and then my parents followed. So, the 2nd time she went through cancer she was with Cooper. I am interested to learn about CTCA as we see the ads quite often but don't know anyone using them. My philosophy is you need to go to where you feel comfortable. It truly is a personal journey and you need to be able to have that peace. Sending good thoughts that your next round of chemo goes better than this past one.

I am a lurker to this thread but everyone is always in my thoughts and prayers. My mom went through breast cancer twice. Curious are you in North Jersey? We are originally from Bergen County and now in Burlington County. MD Anderson is now connected with Cooper, so most that I know now go there. My moms first time with cancer was when she was in North Jersey and used local doctors. She went to her doctor and who he recommended. DH and I moved to South Jersey first and then my parents followed. So, the 2nd time she went through cancer she was with Cooper. I am interested to learn about CTCA as we see the ads quite often but don't know anyone using them. My philosophy is you need to go to where you feel comfortable. It truly is a personal journey and you need to be able to have that peace. Sending good thoughts that your next round of chemo goes better than this past one.
Thank you for your response! I wish you'd join in more often! You must've been through a lot with your Mom. She is doing well now?

Sadly @Pea-n-Me my mom passed away 3 years ago. However, not from cancer so she was a breast cancer survivor. She had a blocked brain artery that was inoperable, leading to many strokes, including brain bleed. Due to how they wanted to treat the blocked artery, her BP was kept elevated and on blood thinners. Once the brain bleed, no more Coumadin. She wound up with cardiac & lung issues, and then kidney failure. She opted for peritoneal dialysis, that my dad did at home. But she was so sick, so many issues that it took it's toll. But, cancer wise she went through a lot but always was positive. She was a strong woman and helped my girlfriend get through her cancer. My girlfriend looked at my mom as an inspiriation.

Hi Ladys, I just hate how this thread will have pages of just your friendship with each other, then it seems its filled with bad new, truly my heart hurts for all of you that are in the fight right now. ( btw my Doctor told me my lymphoma was the most aggressive kind, if it comes back it will probably do so in the first 2 years, I am at one year now)

Hi Ladys, I just hate how this thread will have pages of just your friendship with each other, then it seems its filled with bad new, truly my heart hurts for all of you that are in the fight right now. ( btw my Doctor told me my lymphoma was the most aggressive kind, if it comes back it will probably do so in the first 2 years, I am at one year now)

1/2 way there, low-key. pixiedust::dogdance:

Sadly @Pea-n-Me my mom passed away 3 years ago. However, not from cancer so she was a breast cancer survivor. She had a blocked brain artery that was inoperable, leading to many strokes, including brain bleed. Due to how they wanted to treat the blocked artery, her BP was kept elevated and on blood thinners. Once the brain bleed, no more Coumadin. She wound up with cardiac & lung issues, and then kidney failure. She opted for peritoneal dialysis, that my dad did at home. But she was so sick, so many issues that it took it's toll. But, cancer wise she went through a lot but always was positive. She was a strong woman and helped my girlfriend get through her cancer. My girlfriend looked at my mom as an inspiriation.
Oh my, so sorry. I believe I remember that now. I am glad that she essentially survived her breast cancer. :flower3:

That's awesome, one down, one to go! I was in a similar situation with high possibility of recurrence within the first couple of years. But it didn't happen. And of course, I am hoping and praying for the same for you, low-key. You've been a good friend since the beginning to those of us here on this thread. Thank you. :hug:

Maryann Incred - So sorry you are dealing with the pneumonia and all these side effects. I hope things get settled down for you and hope the next treatment brings not so many side effects for you to deal with. Hang in there!

Jason - Keep fighting tough! One down and one to go. You got this!

Well the endo visit was eventful.

She said the cancer is def. in the lymph node. She feels its slow growing and has been there for about a year. At first she thought it was just reactive because I had a tooth and ear infection and was on antibiotics and she only checks it every six months. And of course since my cancer is so weird she said it confused her because my blood tests were normal again, so she feels it might only be in the R side on my neck.

So Monday I am going for a Pet Scan. She is worried about spread to the bone and lung. I did ask her if she had any other patients with the lung stuff and she said she has 2 80 yr. old patients who have had it for 10 years.

Wed. I am going to the rad. oncologist. She said my old one moved to Israel and this new one is a guy and I should like him and he is nice. We shall see. I said I dont want an in your face type of person, I need someone with a shoulder to cry on. Last one was horrible in the emotional dept. Just like a rock.

Then I have to do the horrible LID diet for 2 weeks and get a thyroid scan. The scan will determine if the radiation will work post surgery. If the scan is bad I will only have surgery with no radiation after.

She agrees dr. who almost killed me is out of the question. She said dr. who saved my life does not have the expertise for this difficult surgery and I was very lucky he was there to save my life that day. I need a good surgeon, so she mentioned four hospitals in the city of course, well three are I think. Dh does not like going to the city. One of the other hosp. is an hour away in the town where ds gf lives. I also think the endo did her residency there, so maybe she knows the system and can help out a little better with this, I dont know. Havent asked that yet. Also as Mrs. Incred. is dealing with we will have to see what place/dr accepts our insurance.

The endo said I wont even bring my mother to this hosp. (univ. where she works and ds is a nurse, gheesh). She said I need someone good. She also said that she will be happy to talk with ds about any test results. Ds said none of the drs say that here, so she really likes you mom. I need a shirt that says I love my endo, lol!

So we are gathering information right now she said. So goodbye easter dinner since I can only have protein, no carbs or sugar and anyway two of the ds will be gone. At least we still be in church alot so it will help focus on more important things

Also I got to have a doppler in the hosp. since I told her my r leg where the blood clot was was bothering me. So ds got to come downstairs and watch some of it and he ate lunch with us. Dh comment - too bad you arent having the operation here because I love the food in the cafeteria, yup love dh!.

GAGWTA

Yes I am in North NJ. The minute I knew I had to have a biopsy I knew I wanted to go to CTCA if it was cancer. Second choice probably would have been Hackensack or a satellite of MSK but I knew CTCA was where I felt I had to go. There was a point where we weren't sure our insurance would allow it and I was frantic over it. I feel relieved when I walk in those doors because the stress is off my shoulders when I am there. I do nothing but go where they say. I don't make appointments, I don't have to call my insurance and get preauthorizations, I don't have to drive to one place for labs, another place for an MRI and most important, I don't have to wait long for results. I can see everything but biopsy results within minutes, even pet scan results :) Biopsy results take a few days but I saw those before my surgeon even had a chance to call.

Well I am back from the PET scan. It was at the same place I go for the sonos. They said I did well. It was really uncomfortable for my back laying on that hard plastic table and I got a little dizzy getting up and the worst part was I had to constantly pee after drinking all that water.

Dh decides to give me a little lecture on nuclear med radiation and half lifes, gheesh.

So now I dont know if my endo will call me or if I will get the results from the rad onc. on wed. I would really rather have the results over the phone from my endo instead of in person on wed. from some dr. who I dont even know and am just going to meet.

I also did a little research. Yes my endo had her residency at the one hosp. I am thinking about so she could prob get me in there. One dr. I researched at that hosp. did a fellowship at MD Anderson in Houston and that is the top thy ca center in the usa.

Also my godwink moment - At church on sunday who sits behind me but a former teacher from the school. She does not even go to our church but was there for easter I guess. I knew she went to Sloan Kettering for endometrial or cervical cancer. I asked her how she liked the hosp. etc. had to whisper to her and told her to not say anything, lol. She said they promised her her own room and nurse. She said the room was so hot it made her sick, she never saw a nurse the whole night long and they told her she would be in 2 days. They sent her home after one day and she ended up in the local ER as an emergency. Gheesh. She did say she liked her surgeon and the surgery was good.

So that is the update of the day.

GAGWTA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter