Direction of Hollywood Studios

Greggieb

Earning My Ears
Let me start this thread by saying I love the Star War movies. The originals are to me some of the best movies of all time. The new ones are very good too. Minus the the Jar Jar Binks ones. They were terrible. The Toy Story movies were also very good. I am sure Disney will do both franchises proud. My problem is the direction of the park. When I first went to MGM 13 years ago it was by far my favorite park. I felt that the park was letting you in on the magic behind the camera. From rides like the Studio Back Lot Tour, the Extreme Stunt Show, Indiana Jones, and the Great Movie Ride Disney did a fantastic job giving an understanding of the history and feeling of what goes into making a movie. If I had to sum up the park I would say it was a celebration of Hollywood. Sure there were other rides (Rockin Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror) that are awesome in there own rights but to me at least the park was about the magic of movie making. Over the years it has changed. I understand that parks need to evolve to stay relevant but I think that the spirit of the park is not what it once was. My concern for the park is that it will turn into Universal. Some amazing rides but no real theme for the park which to me at least is what sets Disney apart from everyone else.

When I first went to MGM 13 years ago it was by far my favorite park. I felt that the park was letting you in on the magic behind the camera. From rides like the Studio Back Lot Tour, the Extreme Stunt Show, Indiana Jones, and the Great Movie Ride Disney did a fantastic job giving an understanding of the history and feeling of what goes into making a movie.
1. If I had to sum up the park I would say it was a celebration of Hollywood.
Sure there were other rides (Rockin Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror) that are awesome in there own rights but to me at least the park was about the magic of movie making.
2. Over the years it has changed.
I understand that parks need to evolve to stay relevant but
3. I think that the spirit of the park is not what it once was.
4. My concern for the park is that it will turn into Universal.

1. "The Hollywood that never was-- and always will be."
2. Definitely
3. That is fully intentional on Disney's part.
4. I think that a more direct comparison would have been more with the OLD parks, rather than now.
5. Regardless, it has been long under discussion that along with the changes we've seen now, and those on the way, that even the NAME of DHS will be changing.

Last edited:
that even the NAME of DHS will be changing.
The new name has been floating around internally for a while, but I expected it to change when SWL and TSL were announced. Especially when Iger let the cat out of the bag and hinted that it was coming.

Does anyone know the proposed name change?

I can see how it kind of needs to happen. Hollywood Studios no longer makes any sense.

I love this park still.

It would not surprise me if Disney changes the name. It is slowly changing from Hollywood and movie magic to more like Magic Kingdom, and the name DHS is close to no longer fitting. For me, I don't like the change since I like parks that are different from MK. Sure, I like MK, but I also like variety.

I was sad when we finished The Great Movie Ride on our last trip, because i've heard that it will be rethemed and and I knew I would never get to experience that ride as it is again.

My concern is that after DHS ceases to be DHS, Disney will do the same thing to Epcot. I really want to have variety, not MK, MK1 and MK2.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter