Direct questions

ClaraOswald

DIS Veteran
Just a few questions. How often do they change the direct pricing? Is there some place to see the historical direct pricing for various resorts? I assume the price drops as the deeds have less years on them, right?

I'm trying to figure out at what point I would consider buying direct. Right now, we just have 160 resale points at VGC. and 50 resale points at BRV. We'd like to add on maybe 50ish more points at each one. We want to stick with our current use year so for resale, we are basically at the mercy of whatever shows up.

At VGC, if a small direct became available, we'd probably consider taking it since it's less likely for us to find the perfect resale contract and the price probably wouldn't be that drastically different from direct anyway.

But WDW resorts are a different ball game. BRV is obviously a LOT more affordable resale. But, as you all know, the small contracts typically go for more (and they always seem to be stripped.) So I can't decide at what point is would make more sense for us to just buy direct. Maybe it would never make sense? I don't know.

Just talking this all out while I constantly check resale listings. 😁

Direct pricing hasn't been tied to duration remaining on the contract so far and just keeps going up, though at some point I'm sure that will have to change for the 2042s unless they just stop selling them altogether.

Here's a listing for the resorts currently available to purchase and corresponding pricing (They stopped sales for Poly recently though and many expect new incentives to be announced April 1.)

https://dvcnews.com/dvc-program-menu/financial/pricing-a-promotions

And this post has a history of pricing but hasn't been updated past 2020:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/so-youve-decided-to-buy-dvc.3567366/#post-56896794

Just a few questions. How often do they change the direct pricing? Is there some place to see the historical direct pricing for various resorts? I assume the price drops as the deeds have less years on them, right?

I'm trying to figure out at what point I would consider buying direct. Right now, we just have 160 resale points at VGC. and 50 resale points at BRV. We'd like to add on maybe 50ish more points at each one. We want to stick with our current use year so for resale, we are basically at the mercy of whatever shows up.

At VGC, if a small direct became available, we'd probably consider taking it since it's less likely for us to find the perfect resale contract and the price probably wouldn't be that drastically different from direct anyway.

But WDW resorts are a different ball game. BRV is obviously a LOT more affordable resale. But, as you all know, the small contracts typically go for more (and they always seem to be stripped.) So I can't decide at what point is would make more sense for us to just buy direct. Maybe it would never make sense? I don't know.

Just talking this all out while I constantly check resale listings. 😁
I wouldn’t do direct on BRV. You would be better off overpaying for resale or buying more points than you think you will use.

As an example, BCV resale is $275pp, BWV is $240pp and BRV is $210pp…. Resale is at least $100pp less even on small contracts.

VGC… different universe. Small resale contracts are going for the same or MORE than direct.

Also, it could be good to look at CCV SAP+ points to upgrade to a 1Bd at BRV.

Or….. go crazy and get a small BCV contract 🤣

I guess I didn't even think that just buying a larger BRV resale would basically equal the same cost as a small one direct.

I've looked at CCV but with our current 50pts at BRV, we have to bank/borrow. So I wouldn't want to fuss with getting stuck with points if we can't upgrade to a 1 bedroom. Availability for 1-bedrooms at 7 months at BRV doesn't seem great to me.

My husband doesn't seem super thrilled with the idea of BCV. I told him we need to just walk over there to check it out next time we're at Epcot. He was actually warming up to VGF a bit until I told him the monorail sounds like a bit of a pain.

I just need the perfect contracts to magically show up for me! But I'm getting antsy.

I guess I didn't even think that just buying a larger BRV resale would basically equal the same cost as a small one direct.

I've looked at CCV but with our current 50pts at BRV, we have to bank/borrow. So I wouldn't want to fuss with getting stuck with points if we can't upgrade to a 1 bedroom. Availability for 1-bedrooms at 7 months at BRV doesn't seem great to me.

My husband doesn't seem super thrilled with the idea of BCV. I told him we need to just walk over there to check it out next time we're at Epcot. He was actually warming up to VGF a bit until I told him the monorail sounds like a bit of a pain.

I just need the perfect contracts to magically show up for me! But I'm getting antsy.
If you are fine with a buss from WL to anywhere I would think a monorail from VGF wouldn’t be a big deal.

If you are fine with a buss from WL to anywhere I would think a monorail from VGF wouldn’t be a big deal.

That's what I originally thought but on your thread, people were saying it normally takes 45 minutes to get to Epcot and sometimes longer. I didn't time it on the bus, but I really felt like it didn't take nearly that long to get anywhere from WL. Except maybe AK.

That's what I originally thought but on your thread, people were saying it normally takes 45 minutes to get to Epcot and sometimes longer. I didn't time it on the bus, but I really felt like it didn't take nearly that long to get anywhere from WL. Except maybe AK.
I've taken the monorail from the GFV to EPCOT many times - I don't think 45 min is the norm. Also - and maybe it's just psychological - but when I'm on the monorail, I feel like we're making progress. Meanwhile, on the bus I'm always thinking I could make it there faster by running (and I'm not speedy). But either way, unless a bus is making many stops (SSR), 45 min is a stretch there too.

It all depends on how long your wait is for the Epcot monorail when you transfer at TTC. I timed it a couple times during a previous stay at BLT and it can be anywhere from 25 minutes to 40 minutes from the security check at Contemporary to the front of Epcot. So, 45 minutes from Grand Flo seems about right to me.

The monorail is just a big peoplemover, I enjoy it regardless
However, if you want to be getting to all four parks then hard to beat BWV, walk to 2 parks and bus journey to AK and MK only 15 mins, even if you just missed a bus that is a max of 35 mins
Now you can check times on MDE that helps a lot

Compared to DL, WDW is always a pain to get around and get to the parks. No matter what you have to take a bus or some other option. To us, 10 minutes on a bus is the same as 35 - a pain. So is does not matter where we stay that much.

Compared to DL, WDW is always a pain to get around and get to the parks. No matter what you have to take a bus or some other option. To us, 10 minutes on a bus is the same as 35 - a pain. So is does not matter where we stay that much.
We specifically purchased at VGF and BWV to be walking distance from 3 parks…. so you don’t always have to take a bus/monorail.

Oh yeah, WDW is always going to be a bigger pain, overall. Just because of the 4 parks spread out the way they are. For the most part, the buses for as at WL were fine in January. We did love the boat to MK though.

I feel like if we ever end up in a resort that is just a walk to MK or EP....my husband would want points there. But I don't know...maybe the theme/atmosphere of WL would win out over convenience.

Oh yeah, WDW is always going to be a bigger pain, overall. Just because of the 4 parks spread out the way they are. For the most part, the buses for as at WL were fine in January. We did love the boat to MK though.

I feel like if we ever end up in a resort that is just a walk to MK or EP....my husband would want points there. But I don't know...maybe the theme/atmosphere of WL would win out over convenience.
Sounds like you need some SAP+ points to try these places out 😏

If we ever decide we want to go every single year, I think we'd definitely get some SAP+ to use to try out other resorts. Though I think we'd need enough points for 1 bedrooms. I've looked at the availability charts and it still seems like even getting into 1 bedrooms at 7 months can be tricky though.

The resorts I'd absolutely love to try are - Grand Floridian and Beach Club.
Next tier would be - Boardwalk and Polynesian
Third tier - Bay Lake Tower, Saratoga Springs
Bottom tier that I am just "meh" about - Old Key West, both Animal Kingdom Lodge villas

My husband is a creature of habit and would mostly be happy just sticking with BRV (or maybe even CCV.) But he did seem a bit more interested in the Grand Floridian. And I've sort of got him on board for Beach Club simply due to proximity to Epcot. He isn't thrilled with the look/theme of the place though.

He was actually warming up to VGF a bit until I told him the monorail sounds like a bit of a pain.
It's actually not that bad!

VGF to/from:
MK - we usually take monorail to, boat from. As others have said, both those modes of transportation are pretty fun, so I don't mind the time spent.
AK - dedicated bus, but it's sort of a walk from the villas to the bus stop. After our Kidani savanna view stay, we may do a weekend at the end to stay at AKV.
EP - this is what our Riviera contracts are for. 😁 It's been a while (pre-Covid) but sometimes we'd book an early breakfast at Poly, walk there, have breakfast and walk to the Epcot monorail.
HS - yeah, bus. EP/HS are becoming where my kids want to ride the thrill rides. We've also taken a Lyft/Uber there. Not sorry at all.

BLT:
MK: walk ... all the time.
EP: monorail - can take a while. This is what Riviera contracts are for.
AK: bus. At least the bus stop is close.
HS: ditty

RIV:
EP/HS: Skyliner - we love it and have rarely encountered much of a wait (only at park close)
MK: This is what our other contracts are for! But - dedicated bus is a big plus. The only time it's ever been crowded was Dec. 30 2019 trying to catch NYE fireworks.
AK: Bus - is not bad. But it's also pretty easy to get a Lyft/Uber to or from.

I love VGF but I'm a little concerned about the studios v larger units imbalance. I'm hoping the point chart scares people away from the larger units.

It's actually not that bad!

VGF to/from:
MK - we usually take monorail to, boat from. As others have said, both those modes of transportation are pretty fun, so I don't mind the time spent.
AK - dedicated bus, but it's sort of a walk from the villas to the bus stop. After our Kidani savanna view stay, we may do a weekend at the end to stay at AKV.
EP - this is what our Riviera contracts are for. 😁 It's been a while (pre-Covid) but sometimes we'd book an early breakfast at Poly, walk there, have breakfast and walk to the Epcot monorail.
HS - yeah, bus. EP/HS are becoming where my kids want to ride the thrill rides. We've also taken a Lyft/Uber there. Not sorry at all.

BLT:
MK: walk ... all the time.
EP: monorail - can take a while. This is what Riviera contracts are for.
AK: bus. At least the bus stop is close.
HS: ditty

RIV:
EP/HS: Skyliner - we love it and have rarely encountered much of a wait (only at park close)
MK: This is what our other contracts are for! But - dedicated bus is a big plus. The only time it's ever been crowded was Dec. 30 2019 trying to catch NYE fireworks.
AK: Bus - is not bad. But it's also pretty easy to get a Lyft/Uber to or from.

I love VGF but I'm a little concerned about the studios v larger units imbalance. I'm hoping the point chart scares people away from the larger units.
I wonder how the additional Poly2 traffic is going to impact the monorail MK loop…

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter