Dinsey Resort Vs. Offsite Hotels

BRIANANDJOLYNN

Earning My Ears
HELP! I AM NOT SURE WHAT IS BEST FOR MY FAMILIES FIRST TRIP TO DISNEY WORLD. SHOULD WE STAY AT THE RESORT OR OFFSITE? WE ARE ON A BUDGET, BUT I AM NOT SURE IF RENTING A CAR WOULD BE WISE SINCE EVERYTHING IS RIGHT THERE. ALSO, WHAT IS THE AP EVERYONE TALKS ABOUT-COULD I SAVE TOO? OUR TRIP IS SEPT. 20 UNTIL SEPT. 24. ANY INFO WOULD BE WONDERFUL.

I'd definitely stay on site. Last year I took my DD (12), DN (11) & DM & decided to stay on site. Everyone said just to go to the All Star since it was our first time on site & see what we thought.

Well, I'll never stay off-site again. We're leaving in a week for 8 nights at the Beach Club but only because I want to experience a nicer resort this time. If you're on a budget...go All Star. There is nothing wrong with the resort, the price is great and the kids will love it.

Sure some people say the rooms are small but we were 2 adults & 2 kids and we were fine. The quick access to the parks, early entry, & convenient (& free) disney transportation more than make up for a slightly smaller room than you may get off-site.

Go on-site...you won't regret it. Have fun.

P.S. AP I believe is "annual pass" but I don't know much about it....maybe someone else can help you there.

Definitely stay on-site. Your children will love the All Star Hotels. During the time you are going, the All Star Hotels are $49! Use a code on the code site. The link is listed on this board.

Once we stayed on-site in 1999, we never again stayed off site! We usually always begin our trip at one of the All Stars and later move up to a deluxe hotel. Even with AP rates, we stay at All Stars for the value. The food court saves us tons of $$$ and we take the buses almost everywhere. When you stay there, you get EE and E Ticket night priveleges too!

AP is annual pass. Only one person, adult, in your party needs to have the annual pass to qualify for the discounts.'

Lisa

Forget the Annual Passes unless you will be visiting WDW for at least 8 days within a 365 day period. Otherwise, the park hoppers are usually easily the best deal.

For a trip of a full week or longer, staying offsite can save you considerable $$$. And we LOVE the added luxuries (separate bedroom & bath for the kids, inroom jacuzzi, washer/dryer & full kitchen) at the nicer offsite resorts. :) :D Most of the time, we stay offsite, not wanting to pay Disney's inflated rates for longer trips with our family size (5 people who only fit in Deluxe or Home Away From Home). We sometimes add a couple of nights at an onsite at the end of the trip, sometimes not. Newer offsite resorts have gotten quite luxurious and the ones we've enjoyed have been far, far superior to Disney's All Stars, at similar prices.

Now for a shorter trip, such as yours, staying onsite at a value or moderate (depending on your family's size and children's ages) may simply make more sense, especially since you won't have a car. You will likely barely spend any time in your room at all, on a short first-time visit, so don't bother with a deluxe, if your family will fit into a value room. The onsite transportation is fairly convenient, given that it comes frequently (not as convenient as a rental car at your room but not bad, since most parking lots are spread out from the rooms anyway - offsite does better with this too). If you want a pleasant ambiance, go with a moderate - nicer landscaping, slightly larger room, hot tub and slide at the main pool areas and more theme than gaudy primary colors and oversized coke cups! ;) LOL! These are JMHO and others may differ! ;)

Once you've stayed onsite, you'll have a difficult time staying off site again. I am one who likes a rental car because I got burned one year with all kinds of transportation delays. I don't spend a lot of money to go to WDW and sit in a monorail for 35 minutes (although that's only happened once, it was one time too many). Anyhow, consider bidding for a rental car through Priceline.com and if you do stay offsite, consider Priceline for a hotel also. And there's a board for those tips as well.

http://pub4.ezboard.com/bpricelineandexpediabidding.html

Once you've stayed onsite, you'll have a difficult time staying off site again
I disagree with this statement. It may be true for some people but definitely not for all. If you read the Orlando Hotels and Attractions board, you'll find that there are many of us who enjoy offsite, after staying onsite! We go back and forth (onsite & off) and have come to prefer offsite for certain kinds of trips. Everyone is different. :cool: :D :cool:

I would definitely stay on site and skip the rental car. In 10 trips (in 10 years), we've only rented a car twice. Our first trip, we didn't know any better - the car sat in the parking lot for the entire trip. Last year, we stayed at FW and everyone on the boards recommended a car (this is the campground so its very spread out). We did use the car at FW.

Check the budget board. If you can get a good rate at one of the moderate resorts, I would recommend that over the All Star. The rooms are a little bit bigger. We really like Dixie Landings (which they've changed the name of and merged with Port Orleans, but I can't remember the new name). Really beautiful and the moderate resorts have food courts so you can save a little on food over full service restaurants.

We always go in Sept. It's one of the slowest times, so wait times are shorter. Just go with a relaxed attitude to have a good time and see as much as you can see without feeling rushed or pressured.

Have a great trip!

Many years I stayed off-site. Then one year I said, "what the heck, let's check it out".

I will N E V E R stay off - site again!

The convenience is outstanding, the hospitality and the warmth of the CMs in the resorts is amazing! Everyone is happy and friendly.

Check out savings codes, but don't keep yourself from that experience!

Wanda

Definitley, stay offsite if at all possible. If all you can afford is to stay at the AS for $49/night on some special deal, and rely on Disney transit - than by all means do it. If you have a bit more cash to spare though, you can have so much more offsite.

We prefer offsite, as we like to stay in a suite as opposed to a hotel room. Last time, we stayed at the HIFS, and had a 2 br suite (King in one BR, bunk beds in the other), living room, little kitchenette, great kids pool right outside, hot breakfast included, etc etc for around $70/night with a bunch of discounts.

Friends on that trip stayed on site in a moderate resort, paid $140/night plus $30 or $35 for breakfast, etc. They had a typical one-room hotel room, two double beds, etc.

I always rent a car anyway, so that's not an issue for us.

YMMV, but this is what works best for us.

What are the ages of your kids and when are you going? Mine are older and can go from sun-up till way past sun-down. We are staying off-site and renting a house. We are going in December and it is my understanding that the parks close by 7 each night. That way they can swim as long as they want when we get back from the parks. Also I have 4 kids so this way the boys and girls can be separated and hopefully not get on each others nerves too much!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter