Dining with Diabetes (gestational)

1pixiemom

Long Time DIS Board user
Help we leave for Disney World in 3 days and I was just diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes early in my pregnancy ( 9 weeks ) we have the dining plan and I am worried about doing Disney with Diabetes...

Our ADR's

Boma's
Ohana's
Crystal Palace
Ragland Road

Any advise would be great....... I have been to Ohana's and know its lots of carbs and I will have to be careful but what about the chicken I think its marinated in pineapple juice and possibly sugar..... I dont eat sea food of any kind so that is out.....

1. Call Disney Dining and have them place a note on all of your ADRs that you are diabetic. And remind your server when you are seated. A chef will discuss with you what would be appropriate for you to eat, and if necessary will prepare something off-menu.

2. Go over to the disABILITIES board. They will have all kinds of helpful information over there that they will be happy to share with you.

3. Dining at TS restaurants will probably be easier than dining at CS restaurants since the latter have a restricted menu and not a lot of leeway in preparing special items. But each one will have an ingredient book that you can look at when selecting items to order. I'd spend as much time as possible looking at the menus (go to allears.net), to see ahead of time what you can and cant eat. If you do this, I think you'll find a surprising variety. You just have to know where to go.

Good luck.

1. Call Disney Dining and have them place a note on all of your ADRs that you are diabetic. And remind your server when you are seated. A chef will discuss with you what would be appropriate for you to eat, and if necessary will prepare something off-menu.

2. Go over to the disABILITIES board. They will have all kinds of helpful information over there that they will be happy to share with you.

3. Dining at TS restaurants will probably be easier than dining at CS restaurants since the latter have a restricted menu and not a lot of leeway in preparing special items. But each one will have an ingredient book that you can look at when selecting items to order. I'd spend as much time as possible looking at the menus (go to allears.net), to see ahead of time what you can and cant eat. If you do this, I think you'll find a surprising variety. You just have to know where to go.

Good luck.

Thank you.... I will call asap and I have been looking at menus as far as disABILITIES board I looked on there and as far as I can tell from other posts they dont look at being diabetic as a disability and seemed to do some bashing of ppl who do.... But I did post there as any advise is helpful :)

I had gestational diabetes with both my pregnancies. If you haven't yet, ask to be taught to carb count. It will make it easier. Also invest in a book about what's in various foods. My favorite is Calorie King which includes carbohydrate, fat and protein counts for various foods, including those in restaurants and various types of cuisine. It will help you when you do not have an ingredient list. You should be able to find it at Amazon or a local book seller. I agree with the previous poster about noting it on your TS ADRs.

Own the condition and don't let it own you. You'll find it easier to adjust. :) I was lucky because my husband has been a Type 1 diabetic for over 30 years. :)

My best friend and Goddaughter's mama had GD as well. She had a great nutritionist who helped her a lot. It was crucial for her to eat small, protein rich meals throughout the day. She ate a lot of chicken and turkey, veggies, greek yogurt, eggs. Can you consult a nutritionist even via phone, before you leave? Good luck, and congrats on the pregnancy! I will be 12 weeks along on thursday when we go down to wdw!

Congratulations on your pregnancy! You must have a great OB to test so early. I had Gestational Diabetes with all 6 of my pregnancies, the one thing that I learned was to makes sure you eat lots of lean protein and exercise. Use some of your credits for a good protein packed breakfast.

I never thought of listing my GD as a disability and used the DDP when pregnant. I know that certain starches (white rice, white bread) spiked my blood glucose more than having my chicken marinated in a sugary sauce. (I had to check 1 hr after every meal, and keep track, so I got pretty good at avoiding certain things) I highly suggest seeing a nutritionist recommended by your OB.

I also was diagnosed with gd at eight weeks pregnant and we went to Disney at 19 wks pregnant. First of all drink so much water you will turn into a mermaid! Lol
The walking will help greatly with balancing the carbs so that will help you.
At any meal you can sub carbs for extra veggies. Also make a fist and look at half that size as a carb allotment. Each allotment is 15 grams of carbs and you should try to stay under 60 for each meal. Gd diets make you eat three snack and three meals a day. The snacks are 15-30 carbs and meals are 45-60. It's important to eat this way to limit your sugar swings as that is what is so dangerous. Don't panic. If you want a really naughty meal in carbs have it. Just balance they next few. Being early on means you have a little extra leeway with eating but don't go too crazy! Have Dh get the dessert and you only have a bite or two. It's better than no dessert!
I am more than willing to help just Pm me if u want!

I never thought of listing my GD as a disability and used the DDP when pregnant. .

I don't think anyone is suggesting that the OP consider GD a disability. However listing Diabetes as a dietary restriction on any ADR can be helpful, especially to someone newly diagnosed, in avoiding poor choices and helping to ensure an enjoyable dining experience.

If you were referring to the advice to go over to the disABILITIES board, again, not suggesting that GD is a handicap or disability. Merely that this is the board that generally handles questions of a medical nature. Many dietary issues are discussed there. And if a new poster identifies herself as newly diagnosed and looking for assistance with how to deal at WDW, then I've seen nothing but positive responses.

Using the term "disability" was a poor choice of words, I just never thought to have it listed , like I do my DS 4 peanut allergy. The title peaked my interest, since I have gone through the same thing 6 times (perhaps that has led to my lack of brain cells :))

My wife, on a reduced carb diet, had NO problem whatsoever eating at Disney. But, having said that, we were having all table service meals.

She alerted the waiter at each restaurant, who typically had ready made suggestions for her. I have to say, however, that most of these waiters weren't that familiar with diabetes and what "reduced carb" means, unlike those with peanut allergies (which apparently, they understand VERY well). They'd suggest entrees with rice and potatoes, without suggesting to replace the starches with vegetables. They'd suggest the sorbet, which is actually higher in sugar than regular ice cream.

You need to reduce or eliminate the starch portion of each meal. You'll also avoid any sugar laced sauces. If it looks like cake or bread, you'll push it to the other side of the table. You'll ask for starches to be replaced with green vegetables, and at every table service, they'll be happy to do so for you. You'll ask for the salad dressings and sauces "on the side" to allow you to limit how much goes on your food.

At 'Ohana, you will not be having the dessert, but you can have all the shrimp and beef you can eat. You should limit the pot stickers to one or two, and not have the wings (unless you can remove all the bbq sauce). You'll pass on the noodles, and have the vegetables. You'll limit your chicken and pork to one or two pieces, unless you can remove all the bbq sauce.

At Crystal Palace breakfast, you'll have to skip the breakfast lasagna and all the pastry, but can have the eggs and meat. You'll skip the breakfast potatoes, but can have a helping of strawberries and blueberries, but not the cantaloupe or honeydew melon.

You'll want to think about getting an app for your smartphone, like myfitnesspal, which will give you ballpark numbers of carbs and sugars for typical servings of normal foods, and learn how to identify carbs and sugars in the descriptions of foods in order to avoid them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter