Dining Wars: Drinking's Edge - An August 2018 Dining Report - Updated 2/18: Completed

The fact that you had cold, almost frozen pastries at Les Halles makes me angry. That is incredibly disappointing. I think I am mad at the France establishments in general now.

I really adore how Jason totally goes for it in your ride photo poses. It's just awesome. It reminds me of when the lead singer from Panic at the Disco was on Jimmy Fallon and had to sing the theme from Ducktales and KILLED IT. I love that kind of commitment.

Perfect in EVERY way!!! Casey is ADORABLE!!! It's such a magical shot.
Thanks! She's pretty dang wonderful if I say so myself.

The fact that you had cold, almost frozen pastries at Les Halles makes me angry. That is incredibly disappointing. I think I am mad at the France establishments in general now.

I really adore how Jason totally goes for it in your ride photo poses. It's just awesome. It reminds me of when the lead singer from Panic at the Disco was on Jimmy Fallon and had to sing the theme from Ducktales and KILLED IT. I love that kind of commitment.
Lets be angry together and we can just boycott all things France now. After your horrible lunch and my breakfast we need to find ourselves a new country :-)

Jason certainly goes all in on just about everything. I am totally dying over the Ducktales video. If Jason could carry a tune that would totally be him. Last night I was watching the Greatest Showman and Jason felt the need to join in the dancing. Man can't dance to save his life, but he knows how to have fun :D

Episode XII: Tepid Tiffins

Happy early New Year to everyone. I hope everyone has a safe and Happy New Year and wish you all lots of Disney in 2019! We are headed down in February for the Princess races, and likely back in August, plus I'll be going solo in May for our Epic meet so at least one of my resolutions will come to fruition. I'm guessing my goal to eat and drink less will tragically fall within hours:P

We’d last left off with some serious FP magic in Epcot and headed back to the hotel to contemplate our options for the night. After seeing what had last minute availability we decided an evening in Animal Kingdom and dinner at one of our favorites, Tiffins, was in order.

We arrived a bit early and enjoyed some pre-dinner drinks in my favorite Nomad’s Lounge. Jason got his usual Tempting Tigress and I mixed it up with the Hightower Rocks, which is a watermelon margarita.

Both of course were delicious, though I immediately regretted not ordering my beloved Annapurna Zing.

Eventually we were seated and had bad mojo from the beginning. Our server was clearly over her day and made us feel like we were imposing on her every time we needed something. I know we all have days at work like this, but for what we were paying she could have checked the attitude. We also had an exacerbated family straight from the park next to us who a. had no idea what kind of restaurant they were in (the Dad wanted to know if he could just get a hamburger or pizza) and b. the three children at least had the courtesy to melt down at different times but the poor mother left the table with them more than she was at it.

I know I praise her often, but this family reminded me how grateful I am for this amazing kiddo.

Who is drinking a Lilly Gorilly by the way, which is sprite and strawberry.

I don’t have pictures nor notes so I’m thinking we didn’t get bread, but we did get the Octopus as our appetizer per Casey’s request (suck it hamburger/pizza man)

This is served with Romesco Sauce, Olive Tapenade, Chorizo, and Squid Ink Aïoli. The octopus had a great char on it and the olive tapenade added a nice brininess and the squid ink some earthiness. I’m not a big red pepper fan so I didn’t care for the Romesco, but the spicy chorizo was a nice touch. My complaint – in what will be a reoccurring theme – is that the octopus was barely lukewarm. I like my food hot or cold and rarely in between and octopus barely hotter than the water it once swam in was an issue.

Casey was happy though. Gotta love when a 7 year old does signatures better than the adults :-)

To wash our suction cups down Jason got another and then another Tigress and I got a bottle of a South African Shiraz blend for us to “share.”

Don’t mess with the Threepete Tempting Tigress Gang!

For the main course Jason went with the Kamo Ramen with duck confit, soft-poached egg, spiced coconut broth, alba mushrooms, and chili-lime cashew.

You are gonna be shocked to know his broth was barely warm, so much so that he sent it back and asked for hot broth. My hubby never does this, so that gives you an indication of how tepid it really was. Once they microwaved it for him (cause you know that is what they did) it was very good as the broth had a pho like flavor but with some coconut notes. The duck was well cooked and very tender, but Jason – a ramen aficionado who makes his own – commented that whoever made this didn’t understand how to layer ramen as the cuts on the meat and veggies didn’t lend themselves to mixing everything up. #ChefProblems

Casey was feeling very decisive today and requested steak for dinner so she and I shared the Fort McCoy Beef Tenderloin with Loaded Crushed Potatoes, Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Bacon Sherry Vinaigrette, and Crispy Shallots.

First and foremost this steak was very tender and perfectly cooked and it went well with the delicious, though slightly bitter, butter. The potatoes were also amazing and full of cheese and bacon. Totally reminded me of an old school loaded baked potato. All of that said, nothing on my plate was hot. The potatoes, the filet, heck even the sprouts felt like it had been a while since they’d seen a heating element.

For dessert Jason and I couldn’t decide so we elected to share the Dessert Trio with South American Chocolate Ganache, Whipped Cheesecake, Guava Mousse.

Or at least that is what the current menu says we shared. Either way my notes at this point are sparse (see the aforementioned cocktails/wine) and I’m not getting much from the picture so using NFL rules without indisputable evidence I’ll go with that is what we ate. I did write that like a good Golden Girl the cheesecake was my favorite.

Given the tremendous size of our dessert, we thankfully didn't share with the kiddo and let Casey order her own.

She got the Chocolate Brownie with Chocolate-Hazelnut Mousse, House-made Vanilla Ice Cream, and Strawberry Sauce.

And licked her plate a clean. #LastBiteDisappointment

I took Casey to the bathroom when it was time to pay and our lovely waitress wouldn’t take our tables in wonderland card until I was there to present her an id. Now in all our years of having this I have never once had someone question who was paying and certainly never been asked for an id. I’m guessing these are technically the rules, which I don’t mind, but the server was being very indigent about the whole thing. We did save $40.60 though but days like this make me dislike the automatic 18% tip.

Overall nothing we ate was bad at all, but the barely warm food and the toned down flavors made me question if they were truly cooking to order or if they were starting to bend to the masses like our friends at the table next to us. Combined that with an aggravated server and screaming children and the experience was decidedly O-F-F. I’m not ready to write Tiffins off yet, but I’m guessing we’ll just stick to the lounge for a while.

While we were finished dinner I was able to snag a FP for Navi River, which while unremarkable we’d only done once before, and we enjoyed walking around Pandora at night.

We were able to get another FP for Dinosaur after that which made a total of 9 for the day!

In a rare turn of events, this is the one of only 2 ride photos that I know where the camera is and Jason is clueless.

We ended the night watching the Tree of Life Awakenings before heading back to the Scaffolding Club for a night cap on our construction zone.

Up next, scary and no so scary dining adventures

Loving all of your 2019 Disney plans! Eating and drinking less and Disney are mutually exclusive in my book! Ugh on Tiffins! Sounds like a really, really off night! And that family next to you... I do not understand the people who don’t look at the menu and/or prices before they sit down. Seems crazy to me anywhere, not just Disney. And your server sounds lovely... NOT. Yikes. What a bummer - I know it’s been a favorite. Nomad may be the way to go. Last time I was there (late Oct) they allowed you to order the starters or enhancements off the Tiffins menu as well so you should still be able to get the octopus there. You were on fire with the fast passes!!!

Luke warm food is never good! Sorry you had to deal with that or the bad server. I wonder if it was like warm because she wasn’t paying attention enough to the window. That table near you sounds like ‘fun’ as well.

Glad the flavors were at least there. I’m sure the wine and tigers helped as well! I love how you ‘shared’ the bottle! Totally my style.

Good luck with more FP+! You were on a roll today!

I honestly can't stand poorly behaved children in restaurants, especially when parents do nothing about it (which seems to happen a lot in Disney)...Casey is a lovely, well behaved young lady. You should be proud!!! I also love how she eats octopus. That's very impressive, considering Joe and I wouldn't even try it...She has a very mature palette.:P

You did quite well with FP's. I never have that kind of luck...:yay:

Ugh for the annoying bad behaved kids, crabby server, and lukewarm food, that really stinks! I’m glad the drinks didn’t disappoint.

I have seen some negative reviews recently of Tiffins, makes me sad, Disney is so inconsistent!

Casey is such an amazing adorable girl. That has everything to do with her parents. Does she want to be a chef like her Dad? Or just eat good food? Either way your daughter is awesome!

So sorry your Tiffens was a bit off. Honestly our trip there was good, but a bit off too. I wonder of it is the restaurant, having a great lounge.

We are headed down in February for the Princess races, and likely back in August
Woo Hoo!!! Can't wait to meet!
b. the three children at least had the courtesy to melt down at different times but the poor mother left the table with them more than she was at it.
Poor Mom is right. At least she took them away from the table. I HATE when the parents have given up and just ignore the kid and the people around all are left to try and ignore as well.

I know I praise her often, but this family reminded me how grateful I am for this amazing kiddo.
We say this all the time about our girls. They really are great kids! Casey seems like a keeper for sure!

Who is drinking a Lilly Gorilly by the way, which is sprite and strawberry.
What? is that special for there? Morgan would love that!

I don’t have pictures nor notes so I’m thinking we didn’t get bread, but we did get the Octopus as our appetizer per Casey’s request (suck it hamburger/pizza man)
What do you send her to school to eat at lunch?

us to “share.”
Riiiiiight? to share...

First and foremost this steak was very tender and perfectly cooked and it went well with the delicious, t
That looks gloriously red! Yum!

while since they’d seen a heating element.
Seriously, was the heat lamps broken that day?

In a rare turn of events, this is the one of only 2 ride photos that I know where the camera is and Jason is clueless.
I never know where the cameras are. Splash is probably the only one for me... And that is pretty obvious.

heading back to the Scaffolding Club for a night cap on our construction zone.
Ha! Too Funny!

Happy New Year to you and your wonderful family! Oh, and speaking of all things festive, that Christmas card was priceless! Your ideas are just superb!

Our server was clearly over her day and made us feel like we were imposing on her every time we needed something. I know we all have days at work like this, but for what we were paying she could have checked the attitude.

Jeez, doesn't she know she's working for tips? Errr, well I guess she was getting that anyway soooooo...

We also had an exacerbated family straight from the park next to us who a. had no idea what kind of restaurant they were in (the Dad wanted to know if he could just get a hamburger or pizza) and b. the three children at least had the courtesy to melt down at different times but the poor mother left the table with them more than she was at it.

:sad2:

With good reason :goodvibes

:scared1: I am definitely going to side with the hamburger guy on this one…but at least I know enough NOT to eat at Tiffins and expect one :P

Gotta love when a 7 year old does signatures better than the adults :-)

:wave2:

I took Casey to the bathroom when it was time to pay and our lovely waitress wouldn’t take our tables in wonderland card until I was there to present her an id.

Boy, she just got better and better, didn't she :sad2:

While we were finished dinner I was able to snag a FP for Navi River, which while unremarkable we’d only done once before, and we enjoyed walking around Pandora at night.

Beautiful :love:

We were able to get another FP for Dinosaur after that which made a total of 9 for the day!

At least you had good fastpass mojo!

What do you think is going on with the food temperatures at Tiffins? I know some components, such as the broth, are going to have to be made ahead of time and reheated, so while unacceptable, it's not shocking that they would be in a rush and fail to heat it enough. The other dishes though, those items would have to be freshly made so I don't understand how they're coming out cold. My octopus was over-charred AND cold, it made me wonder just how long it had been sitting around. I don't mind red peppers, but for some reason I don't care for romesco sauce and I didn't think it worked with the octopus. They could just take that sauce off the plate, IMO.

I'll be sticking to the lounge for awhile also until they turn things around here. I wonder how they're doing with temperatures on the lounge menu items, like the truffle fries and churros.

Happy New Year!!!
I can't remember if I commented after your Les Halles update and I'm too lazy to go back and check, but that sucks. We normally enjoy whatever we get there except for super hard bread one time. It's extremely disappointing when a formally great place gets an 'eh' review! It's making me think we might do TS breakfasts and dinners for our short trip in a couple weeks to better our chances of decent food......

Which brings me to your Tiffins update :sad2: First Mr Man At Next Table, they best never put pizza or a hamburger on their menu. I, a not very adventurous eater, am a bit sad that they've toned down their menu because the 3x I've eaten there the food has been amazing. I do think I want to eat there this month because I saw a mushroom soup on the menu :scratchin If we go I'll let you know howit is :P

Happy New Year to your family! How long are you staying in Feb? We're heading down the 28th for our first trip with our daughter :)

Woo Hoo, I'm finally caught up!!! I love your dining reviews so much! Can't wait to try Jaleo when it opens. Your review of the one in DC had me drooling! It actually inspired me to make a version of the Moorish chickpea and spinach stew that night, and now I'm dreaming about making those brussels sprouts! We're heading to the world in two weeks, for two of our grandsons' birthdays. They're going to turn 6 and 13 on the trip. They're both pretty adventurous eaters, like your Casey, so we're looking forward to trying some tasty items! In fact, the almost 13 year old is more looking forward to the food than the attractions! He picked Ohana for his birthday dinner, as he loves Asian food, and steak, so hopefully it's a good night at Ohana, and we're doing Tusker House for dinner for the little guy's birthday dinner. His only request was that he get to see Mickey for his birthday, and since Chef Mickey's is usually a madhouse, we opted for Tusker House. Better food, and since we're staying at AKL Jambo DVC this trip, much easier to get to! I keep hoping one of our trips would line up with yours, but looks like no luck this year either, darn it! Wow, sorry about your not so great view at the BC! So far we haven't had anything too terrible for a view. Once at Boulder Ridge we looked down on the trash receptacle area, so we just didn't look down! Another time we were on the first floor at OKW, and that section of the building's AC units were right next to our patio. Made for a very noisy patio experience!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter