Dining Reviews

PamNC

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone. We were fortunate to spend a week at Disney 7/24 - 7/31. Stayed at the Beach Club which was fabulous. Now it's time for the dining reviews. I'll rate on a scale of 1-5, 5 being the best.

Kona Cafe/Breakfast - We've eaten here several times for breakfast. In fact, it's our tradition to have breakfast at Kona on our first full day. Gotta' have that tonga toast and kona coffee. Although our tummies are getting to the point where we can't handle all the grease and sugar, it was delicious. We split the tonga toast and ordered a side of eggs to split. I would give the food a 4 and the service a 5.

Plaza Restaurant in the MK - Loved it. I had the vegetarian sandwich and DH had the grilled chicken sandwich. Both were excellent - no complaints. Lots of lively things going on such as a visit from the Mayor of Main Street and his nemises, Hildegard. I will give this an overall rating of 5 (for what it is...I realize it's not one of the fancier places, but for what it is...)

Beaches & Cream - As always a delight. A solid 5 for everything. DH got sick from eating too much ice cream though. We ate here a couple of times. I had hamburgers and french fries both times and I'm proud of it! Husband tried the hot dog one time. The bread is extremely fresh.

Cape May Cafe - Breakfast Buffet - I usually don't like buffets but this was very good. Food was quite fresh and delicious. Service was pretty good. I'd say a 4 for food and service.

Il Mulino - I personally loved it and so did my DH. I had the pizza margarita and DH had a seafood/pasta dish. Fantastic service!!!! I will give an overall rating of 4.5. We'll definitely go back.

Crystal Palace - Breakfast Buffet - This was our first time at Crystal Palace. It was pretty good, but I thought the buffet at Cape May was better. Better character interaction here though. I'd give the food and service a 3. Service was a bit slow as far as removing plates and filling water. I'd give it a 5 on the fun scale because of the Winnie the Pooh characters.

Yachtsman Steakhouse - the biggest dining disappointment in quite some time. This used to be one of our favorites. We ordered the chateaubriand for two medium rare. The inside was medium rare but the outside was extremely charred. You couldn't even taste the "oak fired" flavor. Mashed potatoes tasted old. Dessert was good, as was the heirloom salad. Service was excellent though and they gave us free dessert because we had to send the first steak back. I'd give the food a 2 and the service a 5.

Artist Pointe - The clear winner in deliciousness! What a meal. We both had the pork chop which came with macaroni with a maytag cheese crust. Fantastic! Service was perfect. A solid 5 for food and service!!!!

Brown Derby - Another yummy meal. I had the filet which came with a watercress salad and fingerling potatoes. DH had the cobb salad. Great meal, pretty good service. I'll give it a 5 for food and a 4 for service. One thing I didn't like was they gave us a crazy table - right at an entrance way. And my DH's chair was kind of sticking him in the behind...he had to go find another chair.

Garden Grove - Breakfast Buffet - We were breakfast buffet fools this trip. This is at the swan. It's absolutely DELICIOUS. There were supposed to characters because it was the weekend, but there were none. Which I thought was bad because it's a few dollars more expensive on the weekend due to the fact that there are characters. Which there wasn't. Anyway, fresh squeezed oj, Starbucks coffee, cooked-to-order eggs/omelettes...really good. How about a 4 for food and a 2 for service (only because I didn't get to see Goofy!).

Kimonos - One word - sushi. Another word - karaoke. How can you go wrong? I'm giving it a 5 for both. Especially when my husband sang.

Other than a couple of counter service places and some yummy snack carts, that is about it. We had some great dining experiences, except Yachtsman. This is the second time it hasn't been up to snuff. So, it's now officially off our list...forever.

any questions - feel free to ask.

PamNC

Thanks for your reviews. I hate to hear about the Yachtsman. It was one of our faves but we haven't been there the last couple of trips because of scheduling and partly hearing bad reviews.

Would you say Garden Grove is better than Cape May? We stay at the Swan alot and would like to try it but we always go back to Cape May because of the fruit...does GG have alot of fruit??

Would you say Garden Grove is better than Cape May? We stay at the Swan alot and would like to try it but we always go back to Cape May because of the fruit...does GG have alot of fruit??

Other than the fact that you can get your eggs cooked to order at Garden Grove and not at Cape May, I think they are about even. But, the eggs at Cape may were great. GG has better pastries. GG did offer plenty of fruit. Cape May has a more "Disney" atmosphere. And, like I said, the characters didn't even show up at GG even though we paid the extra few bucks.

PamNC

Thanks for your reviews. I hate to hear about the Yachtsman. It was one of our faves but we haven't been there the last couple of trips because of scheduling and partly hearing bad reviews.

I hate to report this about the Yachtsman, I really do. I didn't realize there were other bad reviews...I thought perhaps I was all alone in my assessment. We could have gotten a steak just as good at Outback...seriously. And the bernaise sauce was just okay..in the past it has been stupendous. They MUST have switched chefs...must have. It's absolutely not the same and this is the second time. I so wanted the first time to be an isolated incident which is why we tried it again.

Oh - and the bill with tip was $117.98. we drank tap water with lemon, had the chateaubriand for two, 1 heirloom tomato salad which we split. that's it. For $117.98. Our dessert was on the house due to our dissatisfaction. I don't mind paying that much for a delectable meal, but this was truly hard to swallow. As were the mashed potatoes.

PamNC

Do you have any more details about your Il Mulino meal?? We liked Palio, but have not heard very much about the new place.
Any more info to add would be appreciated.
TIA,
Rob

Do you have any more details about your Il Mulino meal?? We liked Palio, but have not heard very much about the new place.
Any more info to add would be appreciated.
TIA,
Rob

Hi there! We liked Palio as well. Honestly, the night we went to Il Mulino I was so exhausted I can hardly remember anything. We only drank water, no wine or anything...it was sort of a "get in there and eat and get back to the resort to sleep" kind of thing for us that night. I simply had one of those yummy gourmet personal-sized pizzas and DH's dish was linguine with steamed mussels and something else...I can't remember. You can pick and choose whatever pasta or sauce you want with your meals. The service was perfect...never waited for anything! We were too tired for wine or dessert or much of anything. Did Epcot and AK that day. Whew!

PamNC

Enjoyed reading your reviews, thanx for posting.

It's been a while since we've enjoyed the breakfast buffet at Garden Grove (we prefer Fresh), but the weekends were more expensive because they had expanded food choices (lox, eggs benedict, crepes, etc.), not because of the characters.

Kathy

Great to know about Artist Pointe - we are going soon - and were curious about what others had experienced!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter