Dining Reviews last week 2/21-3/1

EsmeraldaX

DIS Veteran
Dining report from our trip last week. We visited Disney , Universal and Sea world.

The diners are me , Sheri & my boyfriend Chris. We are late 20's/early 30's. We are not "adventurous eaters" (our tastes are probably much like your most picky kids! :teeth:

1. Cinderella's Royal Table for dinner. We both got the prime rib. It was delicious! We had PS and no wait getting in about 20 minutes early (we had not eaten since the flight at 8 AM!) . We both enjoyed our meals and cleaned our plates. Yummy! The atmosphere was quiet, pretty and our server was great. We'll do this one A LOT!

2. Biergarten for lunch. Normally we dislike sitting with other people, but this was not too bad. We were too early to see the show though. We had no wait and our food was hot, tasty and filling. Our server was average; but again, it's a buffet. We liked it a lot and we will likely be eating there again in Dec. I think between the two of us, we sampled most of the menu!

3. Marrakesh for dinner. This time we were too late for the show! We just can't win! This was probably our favorite meal and we will be going back in Dec. It was a real treat because it was quite different for two dull eaters like us. Chris had the shish kabob and I had the chicken kabob. The flavors were amazing. We both count this as our favorite meal all trip. A little pricy but worth it. The place is very pretty and we caught the tail end of the show and it was nice (what we heard of the music). Service was great. Better than average. I hope to save room for dessert next time J! They looked tasty!

4. Restaurantosaurus at Animal Kingdom. McDonalds food. It was what it was. I wish AK had more choices for places to eat. We have a RFC near us and wanted to avoid it because we eat there a lot. Also at AK we wanted quick. Oh well.

5. Planet Hollywood round 1. We had dinner here late on a weeknight. We got right in, had prompt service and tasty food. I had Chicken , Penne and Broccoli. Chris had steak. Both meals were great and the place was interesting and not as loud as I expected.

6. Prime Time Bar. We popped in here during a rainstorm for a few drinks. We just had some bottled Smirnoff Ices but the atmosphere was relaxing and nice & the bartender was very nice.

7. Sci Fi Dine In for Lunch. We love this place. We had great seats, a very attentive server and we LOVE this place. Chris loves diner food and said it was "perfect". I like burgers and have to say the burgers here are quite large and very tasty. We both had burgers and fries. Yummy!

(I'm getting hungry writing this!)

8. Le Cellier. We had not planned on this but WOW. This was great. We both had prime rib, but I asked for a lot of the stuff to not be on it and for some changes to my salad. Our waiter, Jared was the best waiter in any Disney restaurant I have ever seen. He was attentive and accommodated all my weird requests. The food was amazing. Best prime rib in the world.

9. Crystal Palace for lunch. Characters were great and came by many times. Food was tasty but a little cold. We were seated immediately and our waiter was average. We'll probably go back for the character experience. The food was ok. Just not warm enough.

10. Hoop Dee Doo for dinner. Tasty food, GREAT seats (a 2 seater right in the front!) and a waiter who gave us brownies because we don't like strawberry shortcake! I love the show too. We both did.

11. Liberty Inn at Epcot. NEVER AGAIN. The food was good for fast food but I was in line for about 20 minutes just to order. Granted it wasn't the place's fault but the fault of the woman in front of me who had each of her 12 girl scouts order and pay separately and NONE of them had a clue what they wanted. Surely the cashier could have found a way to speed it up a bit. Then I watched the people in back prep the food and it just seemed very confused and not effective. They didn't have sodas pre-poured , and screwed up my soda a few times. By the time I got my order & got back to a table, I didn't even want to eat anymore.

12. Medieval Times. Great show offsite. The chicken and meal was tasty but be warned , they do not have diet soda. If you are diabetic and need diet soda, bring your own. Otherwise your only choice is water. I actually am not so bad that I can't have regular soda (I just can't have a lot of it) so I sipped on it, but it took from my enjoyment of my meal. Also, it's very annoying how they ruin parts of the show by standing in front of you blocking your view while trying to sell you pictures they took. Another thing that was annoying was gratuity was not included in the ticket price. I had figured it was (my bad for not doing my research) but we only had $2 on us at this point , so that’s all we left. Our server was pretty bad anyway. I missed an entire portion of the show while he stood there trying to sell me a photo. Good show but could be improved.

13. It was so cold that we left SeaWorld and went to Downtown Disney. We wound up at Rainforest Café Downtown. NEVER AGAIN. Normally we love the RFC up here in Burlington , MA. But this was just awful. The only decent thing was we got seated near a fish tank and my meal was tasty ( Rasta Pasta). It took us a long time to get seated (on an afternoon on Thursday at 3:30 pm) and as it turned out they sat us in a table that was supposed to be closed. After 15 minutes of not being acknowledged by a waiter we flagged one down. She told us what happened and to her credit, she adopted us as her table and was very attentive. I enjoyed my food but it took a long time. Chris had the pot roast and really did not like it at all. It was just not a great experience.

14. Pirates Dinner Adventure. Fun show. Good food. But again, horrible tacky sales tactic of blocking your view while trying to sell you photos. Also, no diet soda again but at least this time I was able to order one…unfortunately our server never brought it to me after I ordered it.

15. Enchanted Oak Tavern (at Island of Adventure). Okay. Neat idea for a restaurant but food was only okay counter service.

16. We wound up back at Planet Hollywood because we could not get into anywhere else. We were so incredibly bored by Island of Adventure that we left early to go to Downtown Disney again. This time it was awful. Took 20 minutes to get seated (granted it was a Saturday night). We ended up stuck next to a gaggle of teen girls who were SO loud. I mean ridiculously loud. So much so that the family seated on our other side kept look at us as if to say…make them stop. Our service was slow and the food , well, we just ordered what we'd had last time because we wanted to eat and get out ASAP. I think we are done with PH. We won't be going back, at least not for a while.

17. The 50's Diner at Universal. Yuck. The diner itself just looked dirty. The food was just fast food and seemed more greasy than the food at Disney fast food places. I had chicken and it made me sick. Chris had a burger and he did not enjoy it at all. Also, the atmosphere could have been nice, but they were playing some sort of modern top 40 dance music in between 50's songs. Overall, just a bad , bad time.

18. Margaritaville on City Walk. A surprise we really liked. Quiet , laid back atmosphere. I had chicken and pasta in a garlic sauce. Very tasty. Best version of that dish I'd ever had. Chris had a Cheeseburger in Paradise and says it’s the best burger ever. It sure looked yummy. We went back the next day and had the same meal again and it was equally great. Service was fast and friendly both times.

Overall I'd say best meal was Marrakesh.
Worst meal (non counter service) was RFC.

Thanks. I can't wait to go back to Marrakesh ;) Now my counter is back up to 3 digits. Oh for it to be December!

Loved your reviews, thanks for sharing. I really want to try the Castle for lunch this trip - all the reviews have been great.

Just have to say, I've been to the RFC at the Burlington mall, I live in Wilmington. My DD15 spends half her life at that mall!

Really enjoyed your reviews. We also love Marrakesh; the food, the service, the atmosphere are all excellent.

Originally posted by luvaladdin
Loved your reviews, thanks for sharing. I really want to try the Castle for lunch this trip - all the reviews have been great.

Just have to say, I've been to the RFC at the Burlington mall, I live in Wilmington. My DD15 spends half her life at that mall!

I love that mall (but don't get there often). We go down there once in a while for the RFC; I do some shopping there now and then.

You'll like the Castle I think. The atmosphere is nice. I want to live there :)

Enjoyed your reviews.

Great reviews! Thanks for posting!
Please tell me more about the Pirate Dinner Adventure. Where is it at- how far from Disney? Was it very expensive? How was the atmosphere (other than the annoying sales pitch)?
Glad you had a good time!

P.S. Monty is too cute!

Originally posted by TexasErin
Great reviews! Thanks for posting!
Please tell me more about the Pirate Dinner Adventure. Where is it at- how far from Disney? Was it very expensive? How was the atmosphere (other than the annoying sales pitch)?
Glad you had a good time!

P.S. Monty is too cute!

Pirates Dinner Adventure was fun. We really enjoyed it. We don't have kids, but if you have kids, you will have a blast! We thought it was cute how the kids get involved at the end (if you want I can tell you what happens!). The atmosphere is really cool. The pirate ship area is impressive and it's arena style seating (sort of like Medieval Times, if you've ever done that). Some might find the story a little hard to follow if you aren't into musicals, since it is a musical. But it's a pretty easy plot to follow , I think. The Princess and the towns charming gypsy dancer are kidnapped by a band of pirates and one of the Pirates falls for the pricess and goes against his captain to save her. It's cute.

There is a lot of singing and stage fighting between the pirates. There is also a sort of trapeeze act which is kind of neat, almost circus like. Each "pirate" gets a section of the audience who roots for him. You will be assigned your Pirate in the begining, in the pre show area. Get there early if you decide to go because they have snacks in a buffet style appetizer area while there is pre show entertainment. About 30 minutes before the real show they do a pre show that explains the kidnapping. There is also a small pirate musuem you can walk through in the lobby.

The show is fun and involves lots of audience participation. Chris & I were actually both chosen to do things for our section. :) I got to raise a flag and he had to pass a bag of coins around to the whole section in a race against the other sections. I *think* every kid in the audience gets picked for something. I mean I saw A LOT of kids during the finale so I think the ones who werent up there, maybe have just not wanted to go.

The food is decent. You get to choose chicken or shrimp. We both had the chicken. It was just like rotisserie chicken. To be honest I forget what else there was (I know it was good though) and dessert is apple cobler with ice cream (yum!). The drinks they serve are Pepsi, Water, Ale and Wine. If you want Diet Soda or any other type of soda, I would recommend ordering it before teh show at the bar in the lobby, because I asked for some 5 minutes into the show and the server never came back. That was my only pet peeve about the show.

After the show ends, The Pirates & the Princess stick around for an hour for photos and a Pirates Disco Bash where everyone (kids and adults) can snack and dance with the cast & rest of the audience.

It was very fun, even for us without kids, because we like watching little kids get picked to do things. It's just adorable. But I think the show is really more fun for kids themselves. I can't remember how many times we each said "Awwww look how cute that is!" :)

My only other gripe with this, and all dinner shows, is the tactic of trying to sell you pictures while you are trying to watch the show. But I suppose they do that everywhere, I have seen it done at the Hoop Dee Doo as well.

I think the show is about 20 minutes from the main gates at Disneyworld. It didn't seem to take us that long at all. It is a little pricey (I can't recall how much) but we found a lot of offers online and through Orlando ticket places for discount tickets (after we bought ours full price :rolleyes: )

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know...

Oh! And they have a website now...
http://www.piratesdinneradventure.com/

And Monty says "woof" ;) which I think means thank you very much! in dog speak :)

Thanks for the info! I have two kids- DD (7) and DS (1) and I think they would really enjoy it. I'm going to try to squeeze it into our next trip.

P.S. My dog (Misty) says "Woof-woof" (to Monty) which is dog for "How you doin'?"

Good reviews! We totally agree with LeCellier and Hoop Dee Doo...two of our family's favorites.
Glad to hear about Cindy's Castle for dinner....we've been thinking of trying it for dinner and you don't often see reviews for it.
As for Liberty Inn, (not to be confused with Liberty Tree Tavern at Magic Kingdom which is excellent!!!), we've never eaten there, but I remember walking in to use the men's room and being very un-impressed....looked like a fast-food counter area of a cheap amusement park. Does not belong in Disney!

Originally posted by TexasErin
Thanks for the info! I have two kids- DD (7) and DS (1) and I think they would really enjoy it. I'm going to try to squeeze it into our next trip.

P.S. My dog (Misty) says "Woof-woof" (to Monty) which is dog for "How you doin'?"

I think they'll have fun. There was actually a little baby seated across from us and we kept looking over at him. He looked like he was maybe 10 months? He appeared to be mesmerized through the whole show. :) There may be some loud noises, but I think overall, it's a great show. As long as your kids wouldn't be scared by the stage fighting (I'd say it's similiar to the stage fighting in West Side Story....not gory or anything...more choreographed than anything else. And the sword fighting scenes did not strike me as too scary). All the kids there seemed to really be having a blast and as adults , like I said, it was just adorable watching them act like little pirates :)

Monty says "bow wow woof woof" which means "Its not fair that these Humans get to go to Disney world and we don't!" :)

Originally posted by cd&kids
Good reviews! We totally agree with LeCellier and Hoop Dee Doo...two of our family's favorites.
Glad to hear about Cindy's Castle for dinner....we've been thinking of trying it for dinner and you don't often see reviews for it.
As for Liberty Inn, (not to be confused with Liberty Tree Tavern at Magic Kingdom which is excellent!!!), we've never eaten there, but I remember walking in to use the men's room and being very un-impressed....looked like a fast-food counter area of a cheap amusement park. Does not belong in Disney!

We are definately trying LTT in MK in Dec. Chris really liked the character meals (I think he was having moe fun interacting with the charcacters than half of the small children at CP :teeth: ) . I have heard it's excellent. Thanksgiving dinner, right?

I prefer Cindy's Castle for dinner. The breakfast is great for the characters but for us, just too much of a hassle. I'd rather a PS spot go to a family with little princesses :) than to us, since we love the dinners. They have great smoothies for dessert there too, in a souvenier CRT class :)

Liberty Inn was just a bad expereince. The food was ok for fast food, but I was just astounded how slow the service was. You'd think during lunch rush hour they'd have sodas pre-poured and ready to go, I noticed when looking into the kitchen that getting drinks ready was the primary holdup. Granted it was not entirely the cashiers fault, but if it has been me, I would have politely asked the adult in the group if the girls could all decide what they wanted (out of the 6 meals on the menu) and then maybe all order together to hurry the line along. The adult was paying for it, or appeared to be, but probably wanted teh kids to expereince paying for their own food. I don't know, I feel bad being annoyed at this, because it probably made the kids feel special and grown up, but again, these were not young girls. If they'd been 6 or something it would have been cute, but they were all about 15. :shrug:

LTT next time instead :)

Tusker House at AK is (IMHO) one of the best fast food places anywhere in WDW. :D

Originally posted by SamSam
Tusker House at AK is (IMHO) one of the best fast food places anywhere in WDW. :D

We'll have to try that next time! We ate at Restarauntosaurus and it was ok...just McDonalds food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter