• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dining reviews from our anniversary trip 2/1-2/6

bigbabyblues

DIS Veteran
DH planned this trip as a surprise for me, and he made all the ADRs. There were a couple of places that I probably wouldn't have chosen, but we didn't have a bad meal! He did note on the ADRs that we were celebrating our 10th anniversary, some places we got something, sometimes we didn't.

Friday, February 2

EVERYTHING POP food court--Nothing exciting here, we split an adult breakfast platter. It was bacon, scrambled eggs, breakfast potatoes, sausage and a biscuit. Everything was hot and fresh, and there was plenty for both of us. We also had orange juice. Not fancy, but no complaints. (1 c/s credit used)

CANTINA de SAN ANGEL--lunch. We split a wet burrito and a coke. The burrito was really good, it came with lettuce, tomatoes, salsa and sour cream on the side in a big take-out container; the container was crammed full. There was plenty for both of us, but we finished it off! I'm not a big mexican fan, but this was great! For dessert we had a churro, DH ate it, so I can't say, but it didn't take him long to finish it! (1 c/s credit used)

CORAL REEF--dinner Our first "real" meal of the trip, and one I probably would not have chosen, just because I don't like seafood. We checked in early, about 4:40 or so; our ADR was for 5:00, but we were seated within about 5 minutes anyway. The hostess gave us personalized menus that said Happy Anniversary with our names on them. Our server, Bung, was great. DH had a beer, and I ordered the “octopus juice” (pina colada with something else, not sure what); it was very good, and did not have the alcohol taste at all. Tasted more like a smoothie. I had the BBQ beef for an appetizer. That would have almost been enough for me altogether! It was 2 pieces of BBQ beef with polenta. I had never had polenta before, but it was good. The beef was very good too; I managed to eat most of it. DH had some kind of seafood soufflé for his appetizer and he liked it as well. While we were waiting for our food (not long of a wait), DH gave me a diamond wedding band for an anniversary present; another present, the trip counts too! He had the mahi-mahi with couscous, and he liked it. I didn’t try any of it, but it looked good. I ordered the prime rib. They didn’t tell me that it was the whole cow, but that’s about what it looked like on the plate. That thing was huge! It looked to be almost as big as a beef roast we’d make for our family and have leftovers. I ordered it well done, but part of it was a little pink; not that it mattered, the thing was huge and there was no way I could have eaten it all anyway, so I ate around the pink parts. The green beans were too crunchy for my liking, but I ate a few bites of them, and the baked potato was fine; not much you can say about it. Our plates were taken away, but the server was taking forever to take our dessert orders. I thought he was just busy, but several minutes later, he brought out the cake that DH had ordered for us. It was delicious, chocolate cake with chocolate filling between the layers, chocolate icing with some kind of darker chocolate on the very top, and cut strawberries around the outside. They had written “Happy 10th Anniversary” on the plate with chocolate also. I was so surprised about the cake, had no idea he’d done that. A few minutes later, Bung was back, with two glasses of champagne for us, our gift from the Coral Reef. When we finished what we were able of the cake (and it wasn’t much!), server came back and informed us that since we were on the dining plan, we were each entitled to a dessert, and did we want that? Then he laughed. It was funny, there was no way we wanted anything else to eat at all! Cost of meals (not including the cake or beverages) $94.90 (2 dining credits used). If you're interested, the drinks and cake came to $32 and some change.

Next up, Main Street Bakery, Big River Grille, California Grill

Saturday, February 3

We had every intention of eating breakfast at Pop again today, but we got there right around 8:00 and the place was a total zoo. Forget that!

MAIN STREET BAKERY--breakfast on the go. DH had a bacon, egg, and cheese croissant and a chocolate milk. I had a few bites of the croissant, and it was very good. We paid oop, and I have no idea what the total was. Not alot, maybe $5-6? I also had a strawberry smoothie here later in the day, it was great, 1 snack credit used.

BIG RIVER GRILLE--at the Boardwalk. We were planning to have lunch at Pinocchio's at MK, but we were later than planned (do you see the pattern here???), and it looked really crowded, so we went on. Columbia Harbour House was the same, really long lines, and not much that appealed to us, so DH decided we should go to Big River, via the monorail to Epcot, walk through the World Showcase, and then to the Boardwalk. That didn't take as long as I thought it would, but by the time we got there, I was hungry! We were seated immediately, and our server (Holly??? maybe?) was very friendly. DH ordered a beer, and I had a coke. For lunch, DH had a burger with kettle chips, and I had chicken pasta minus the mushrooms. DH burger was huge, lettuce and tomato on the side. He really liked the kettle chips, and I had to taste a few too. My pasta was really good, I liked the sauce, but there was way too much of it for me. I didn't realize it had red peppers too, and I don't like peppers. No big deal after the surprise of biting into the first one, I picked them out. No room for dessert, and we were on our way. I think we paid around $30.

CALIFORNIA GRILL--dinner. I had no idea where we were going for dinner. We started on a bus to Epcot, then the monorail to MK, and I figured it out when changed to the resort monorail. I'm a little slow, what can I say? :confused3 Our ADR was for 7:30, with Wishes at 8:00. We checked in about 6:45, a little early; better than late! He asked for a table by the window, and of course, they couldn’t guarantee it, but she said she would try. The hostess called upstairs and they told her we could probably be seated next to the windows close to our ADR time, if we wanted to wait. No problem. We were taken upstairs to wait; the bar was packed, the chairs were packed, so we walked out on the observation deck. Only one other person out there, but it was COLD! We went back inside and found a couple of chairs. About 7:05 our pager went off, and we were seated at a table for two beside the window with a great view of the castle. There was Mickey confetti on the table. Our server was Rich, and he was good. I had heard reports of servers being a little off if you were using the dining plan, but that was not our experience at all. He recommended appetizers and meals for us, and took our orders. Another CM came over with a camera and took our picture, and one with our camera. A little while later, he brought us a picture in a card for our anniversary. I thought that was nice. We both had iced tea, and it was good, but I had to put quite a bit of sugar in it; I like sweet tea! We both had the goat-cheese ravioli for our appetizer, and it was very good. So good, that DH found a cookbook with it and brought it home! For dinner, I had the pork tenderloin and Chris had the filet. Both of us were debating between the two, so we decided to each get one and we would try them both. I didn't end up trying any of DH's, but he ate all of my mushrooms (gross! But he really liked them), some of the pork, and a couple bites of the polenta. The polenta was a little rich, but it was very good; different from the polenta at the Coral Reef, I thought that was interesting. We both really liked our meals, and Wishes started when we were about halfway through. We had a nice view from our table, they piped in the music, and it was so much warmer than watching from anywhere else! For dessert, Chris had the banana butterscotch buzz thing and I had the chocolate cake with hot chocolate sauce inside with vanilla ice cream. Wonderful, but I couldn’t finish it all. 4 dining credits used, cost of meal was $130 something. Well worth it, even if we had paid cash.

Next up is Pop food court, Flame Tree BBQ, and Boma......

What exactly is polenta? Sorry, if this is dumb, but I keep reading about it, and I have never had it.

Sunday, Feb 5

Super Bowl Sunday! Who cares? I didn't even know who was playing until I heard people talking about it on the bus, but I digress.

EVERYTHING POP--We made it to the food court in time for breakfast today, around 7:45 or so, and there was not a huge crowd. I got a breakfast pizza; had to wait for it to finish baking, but it was pretty good. There was too much of it for me, but that happens. It had sausage, cheese and I think scrambled eggs on the crust, which sounds a little gross, but it was good. DH had the Pop waffle platter, and it was fine. 2 cs credits used

FLAME TREE BBQ--lunch. I had the half chicken, and DH had the ribs. Both came with baked beans and corn on the cob; it was all good, but the baked beans tasted funny. Not bad, just different. For dessert we both had chocolate cake, and it was pretty dry. It wasn’t a big deal, we were too full for dessert anyway. 2 cs credits used.

BOMA--dinner. We checked in a few minutes early for our 5:00 ADR. They wished us a Happy Anniversary, and we were seated about 5 minutes later. We were given an anniversary card signed by the hostesses in what I assume was their native languages. Cool! Our server was Jeff, and I saw on his name tag that his hometown is only about an hour from ours! We’re from the middle of nowhere, and it’s rare to come across anyone who knows our area at all. We chatted with him off and on during the meal. Very interesting! We really liked our dinner. We both tried almost everything from the buffet, and we liked almost all of it; the saffron rice was too sweet for me, that was my only complaint, if you want to call it that. It wasn’t bad, just not what I was looking for. I remember the salmon was cooked in some kind of mustard sauce, I really liked it. The couscous was good, I had some pork also that was good, and I really don't remember any other specific things. I had gone for my 2nd plate with zebra domes and fruit, and when I came back to the table, Jeff had left us a tray of different desserts with “Happy 10th Anniversary” written in chocolate. Nice!

thank you for the dining reviews, I am enjoying them. Wow, your husband sounds like a great guy, putting in all that effort for a surprise trip AND making adr's. Wish I could find one like that.

What exactly is polenta? Sorry, if this is dumb, but I keep reading about it, and I have never had it.

I had never had it until this trip either, and I'm still not sure what it was! They polenta at the Coral Reef was kind of like a rice/couscous texture, and the polenta at the California Grill was creamy, both were a little cheesy tasting. It was very good, sorry I can't describe it better.

thank you for the dining reviews, I am enjoying them. Wow, your husband sounds like a great guy, putting in all that effort for a surprise trip AND making adr's. Wish I could find one like that.

Thank you, he is a great guy! I feel very lucky to have him......but he's making me look bad!

You need to hold onto him! I have a wonderful husband, but he would have never surprised me with a trip like that :thumbsup2

Polenta is cornmeal - it can be made from either white or yellow corn, and ground very fine or not so fine - that's why it can seem different. It's very bland on its own, so it's usually served with either cheese or some kind of sauce, gravy, spaghetti sauce... It sounds like the type you had both times was the "soft" polenta, which is whisked up fresh. Polenta also comes very firm, in a big roll, you can find it in lots of stores (Trader Joe's, really anywhere these days) - that firm polenta you slice off and fry up in a pan. I like the soft better myself.

I'm sure that's more than you ever wanted to know about polenta! :laughing:

Monday, Feb 5

ABC COMMISSARY, MGM--We were too late for breakfast at Pop again today, so we waited until we got to the park. The only counter service we've ever had at MGM is Pizza Planet, and that was obviously out. The closest place was ABC Commissary, so we went that way. I hadn't heard great things about lunch/dinner here, but how bad can breakfast be? We ordered a scrambled egg platter and orange juice. After DH ordered, one of the CMs started ringing a bell and clapping. We were the first customer of the hour (and the day, lol) so we got a free dessert. The platter had scrambled eggs, bacon, breakfast potatoes, and of course the pastry, and it was really good. I was surprised. 1 c/s credit used

TEPPANYAKI--late lunch/early dinner. We checked in a few minutes early and only had to wait about 5 minutes until the rest of our table mates checked in. We were seated with another couple and a family of four. I absolutely loved this meal. We don’t have anything like it near us, so it was new for me. We enjoyed talking with the other couple, but were too far away from the family to be able to hear each other. We all tried the seaweed, it wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought it would be. DH liked it, and ordered that for his appetizer. Our chef was James, and he was entertaining. I had the chicken, and DH had the steak and shrimp; it was all wonderful, but I should have asked for mine with no onions or mushrooms. I didn’t think about it until it was on the plate, so I just moved them off to the side. No big deal. We were the only ones on the dining plan, and the only ones ordering dessert, so we were the last ones at the table. When our dessert came out, they brought us a piece of ginger cake also, and it was very good. I had the pineapple for dessert, and I liked it as well; sweet, but not too sweet, but not too sour at the same time. Just right! 2 ts credits used

Tuesday, Feb 6

EVERYTHING POP--We ate in the food court for breakfast today. DH had the waffle plater, and I had the adult breakfast. Too much food for me, but no sharing today because DH went while I slept in, so I ate a little later. We came back here later on for a late lunch before we left for the airport. I had a terrible time finding anything I wanted, and I ended up with a pepperoni pizza. What can I say? I was WDW pizza. OK, but not that great. DH had a chicken wrap with fries, and he liked it.

We were on the dining plan, and we had 1 c/s credit and 1 snack credit leftover. The dining plan worked really well for us again this trip.

Thanks for reading, if you've made it through!

Happy Anniversary!! :goodvibes Enjoyed reading your reviews. Thanks for sharing them with us. We're trying Big River Grille this summer for the first time. Can't wait!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter