Dining Plan Dilema

markriet

Earning My Ears
I have purchased the DP for our visit the end of the month for our family of 5... husband, wife, DD (11), DD (5) and DS (2). We have 5 nights, so that means 5 of each meal type... Snack, Counter Service and Table Service.

We plan to arrive around 3 on Sunday. Then we have... I think it is 5:30 Hoop Dee Doo Review ADR(2 TS meals). Staying at CR Sunday until Friday morning when we have our Mickey Breakfast ADR (1 TS meal). So with those 3 TS already used, I have Monday thru Thursday evening that would be typical TS meals, but I only have 2 TS vouchers left.

How should I handle this?

Hmmm.... Dilemma indeed,

While I didn't eat at either, The table service meals include an appetizer, maic course and dessert, with drink. Not usually a problem filling you up. For the counter service meals, you can get things like 1/4 chicken with 1/4 bbq ribs at alot of places. CS also comes with dessert and drink, some drinks are HUGE too so they will fill you up. If you want to eat on the cheap for some other days, remember you can get two slices of bread for 69 cents and the jam/honey and PB is free, so you can have pb&j sandwiches or make toast and jam for bfast. For the lunches, plan on speanding 6-7 bucks plus drink at most CS places pp.
Get a large pop to split and ask to not have the dessert, that could save 2 bucks off meal and same from drink.
We are fam of 5 and the CS meals ran $60.00 + and the TS ran $100.00 - over $200.00, but that was with DD, in which we didnt skip desserts etc.

markriet said:
I have purchased the DP for our visit the end of the month for our family of 5... husband, wife, DD (11), DD (5) and DS (2). We have 5 nights, so that means 5 of each meal type... Snack, Counter Service and Table Service.

We plan to arrive around 3 on Sunday. Then we have... I think it is 5:30 Hoop Dee Doo Review ADR(2 TS meals). Staying at CR Sunday until Friday morning when we have our Mickey Breakfast ADR (1 TS meal). So with those 3 TS already used, I have Monday thru Thursday evening that would be typical TS meals, but I only have 2 TS vouchers left.

First off I would pay oop for the Friday breakfast. You get more value using the DP for dinner. That would give you 3 TS meals left for dinners. The 4th dinner could either be CS or you can just look at where you want to dine those 4 nights and pay oop for the least expensive one.

markriet said:

You'll need to pay out of pocket for some meals if you want table service each day of your trip.

In my opinion, the dining plan isn't designed to be an "all-inclusive" type meal plan.
In your situation, you chose to use 3 table service credits total on your arrival and departure days. The plan figures you'll use a total of 1 for those 2 dates.

I would pay OOP for the breakfast too. Also your DS2 should be eating for free so in reality you have 20 TS credits for the 5 nights not 25. Since your staying at POR you could have a decent CS dinner there. I would also pay OOP for the 11yo (except HHD) & use the TS for you & your DH.

just a head's up... we found quite the dining plan bargain that easily fed our family of four for only two DP credits... a PIZZA! we were able to get a large pizza, two side salads, two drinks and two desserts (we got those huge cookies w/ice cream that were more than easily shared between two people!) for only two counter service credits...

our other big "bargain" counter service meal (sorry, but cannot think of a way to save on TS meals unless you go out of pocket for the least expensive) is to get the "big" breakfast (it has diff't names at diff't resorts) and go out of pocket for an extra bagel and use a snack credit for a fresh fruit (we chose the bowl of grapes almost every time LOL) and fed three people (ds would take the bagel and the sausage and make a sandwich; dd took the biscuit and most of the scrambled eggs; that left me w/the bacon and home fries and a little egg; and we all three shared the grapes... add a power ade or use our resort mugs and we were more than good to go!)

so, if you stretch your cs meals, you can supplement for the days when you don't have any TS meals...

hope that helps :flower:

gigi1313 said:
just a head's up... we found quite the dining plan bargain that easily fed our family of four for only two DP credits... a PIZZA! we were able to get a large pizza, two side salads, two drinks and two desserts (we got those huge cookies w/ice cream that were more than easily shared between two people!) for only two counter service credits... :

Which restaurant was the pizza bargain found!

So far it sounds like maybe pay for the Breakfast. Yes you are right, we have a total of 4 vouchers... 3 adults (11 counts as adult) and 1 child. So, are there other places that do the pizza deal? Really one 15 inch or so pizza does feed all of us yet at this point.

Are you sure your reservations include 5 people on the plan? Why are you buying a ticket for your youngest (who would get into the parks for free?) Seems like a waste to buy a ticket for them just to get the extra per day credits. Especially since they eat free at any restaurant.

HayGan said:
Seems like a waste to buy a ticket for them just to get the extra per day credits. Especially since they eat free at any restaurant.

that's not entirely true... 2s and under eat free at any buffet or all-you-care-to-eat restaurant... they are entitled to eat off your plate for free at any other restaurant... but if you want to get them their own meal at a TS or CS restaurant (which is not buffet or aycte) then you must pay for them...

i have read of many guests who actually bump up their little one's age to get the dining plan for them if they are "eaters" (and save their ticket for future use) which would give the family additional child meal credits to use for their other children if need be as well...

gigi1313 said:
that's not entirely true... 2s and under eat free at any buffet or all-you-care-to-eat restaurant... they are entitled to eat off your plate for free at any other restaurant... but if you want to get them their own meal at a TS or CS restaurant (which is not buffet or aycte) then you must pay for them...

i have read of many guests who actually bump up their little one's age to get the dining plan for them if they are "eaters" (and save their ticket for future use) which would give the family additional child meal credits to use for their other children if need be as well...

Seems silly to me to pay over $30 a day for park admission and almost $15 a day for the dining plan for a 2 year old who will eat free or share at most places. At the very least it would be much cheaper to buy them their own meals. In having to buy park admission for the 2 year old is really a deterent for going this route.

but buying it and saving it for future use (it is good for fourteen days from when it is ACTIVATED!) is a hedge against inflation ;)

You are right, DS2 did not cost anything. He more or less just eats off our ours which I do not consider that big of a deal. That does mean we have a total of 20 credits for our stay... 3 adults and one child (2 year old not counted in that). The pizza does sound like a good idea though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter