Dining at Wilderness Lodge

ameliahyde

Princess In Training
Hi! We are thinking about staying at WL for our next trip. I never ate there before. How is the dining? Looking for opinions of quick service to the Artist Point. Thanks!

Hi! We are thinking about staying at WL for our next trip. I never ate there before. How is the dining? Looking for opinions of quick service to the Artist Point. Thanks!

We had a delicious meal at Artist Point. It is a pretty restaurant and we had great service. This was my meal, the filet
2012-07-21182402.jpg

We also ate at Roaring Forks, which is the QS restaurant, and it was good. Pretty basic with sandwiches, flatbread pizzas, chicken tenders, etc...but everything we had was good.

We also ate at Whispering Canyon cafe! which we loved, but this was before the menu changes, so I can't comment on the recent menu.

We found the dining options to be great when we stayed at WL! :goodvibes

My apologies for not answering your question(s) directly, but let me point out something if you have young children that may not want to dine with you for dinner - there is an evening childcare 'Camp' available inside Wilderness Lodge.

As a guest who normally stays across Bay Lake, this is very convenient. There is no 'camp' at the Contemporary/Bay Lake Tower. My daughter prefers going to 'camp' while my wife and I dine out.

Artist Point restaurant is the Signature at Wilderness Lodge and gets high reviews.

Whispering Canyon is the more casual (and lower price point) table-service restaurant at Wilderness and it is comparable to those at the other Deluxe-resorts.

Artist Point is one of our favorite signature restaurants. The food and service are excellent. My favorites are the Smokey Portobello Mushroom Soup, Cedar Plank Salmon and Berry Cobbler. Delicious!

Whispering Canyon Cafe is the more casual table service restaurant. It overlooks the lobby and is airy, but can get noisy. There are lots of antics and children's activities that many enjoy, while some do not.

We stayed at WL last spring break and will be back again this April. Artist Pointe was lovely and one of our favorite meals. I had the fillet, my daughter had scallops, and I can't remember what my husband had but he must have liked it because he wants to make it our signature family dinner on our next trip. I liked the dining room because it felt less cramped than many DW restaurants and the service was great.

Roaring Forks gets rave reviews from our teenage daughter who liked the salads, panini sandwiches, and breakfast items. I enjoyed it for breakfast but after a week on site there was nothing I really wanted on the lunch and dinner menus. If you eat at resort counter service a lot you may be disappointed with the selection.

We did not eat at Whispering Canyon as I thought it was mostly family style and that type of meal does not appeal to us.

You should note that if you stay at WL you can take a boat to the Contemporary or FW and that expands your easy dining options. The boat and bus ride to MK are also very speedy. We also took an I expensive cab ride to The Grand Floridian for some spectacular meals.

We ate twice at roaring forks for QS & good was good. Dh got a flatbread, I got the pulled pork & kids got chicken nuggets.
Ate ts at whispering canyon & thought it was awesome! The food, the atmosphere, the milkshakes! Defiantly going back again.

Our Ratings of Artist Point: (*rev 9/21/2013*)
. . . food price value: B
. . . food quality: B
. . . food quantity per serving: B
. . . food prep speed: C
. . . food selection: B
. . . seating quantity: B
. . . seating comfort: A
. . . eatery atmosphere: B
. . . eatery convenience: B
. . . staff friendliness: A
. . . staff attentiveness: B
. . . character interaction: n/a

NOTE1: Artist Point has lately made several changes to revive the old quality of the food
and service, and regained the reputation of the past. It has now replaced Monsiuer Paul on
our TS list, and we only eat at five of them. If you eat there, get a window table. The view
of courtyard and lake are grand and romantic at sunset and after dark. Buffalo and chicken
were VERY good and worth all the talk. (Just make sure they cook buffalo rare or med-rare.
Any more, send it back! It will be tough and tasteless!)

NOTE2: As with eateries, they do some things better than others. In that light, skip the
Prawn/Crab Pot and skip the Scallops. They are basically average and not worth the time
or expense. The carpaccio is subpar without enough fat marbling to make it taste as good
as Beef Carpaccio. The filet and the lasagna are good, but pedestrian, so also skip those.
The other side of the scale has the tasty King Salmon. For a heavenly treat, do the highly
prized Copper River Salmon which available only during mid-May to early-June, with a side
of Mushroom Soup.

Our Ratings of Roaring Fork: (rev 5/28/2013)
. . . food price value: C
. . . food quality: C
. . . food quantity per serving: C
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: C
. . . seating quantity: C
. . . seating comfort: D
. . . eatery atmosphere: C
. . . eatery convenience: B
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff attentiveness: C
. . . character interaction: n/a

NOTE: This is the Quick Service eatery at Wilderness Lodge. There is no food court.
The menu is severely limited and the food quality is only average. It ranks on the low
side of Deluxe Resort quick service eateries. Eating at Roaring Fork is OK if you are
staying there, but certainly not worth going out of your way. If you have time and the
grum-bellies can stand it, wait to eat breakfast at one of the parks, or eat dinner
before you leave the park.

NOTE: This is the Quick Service eatery at Wilderness Lodge. There is no food court.
The menu is severely limited and the food quality is only average. It ranks on the low
side of Deluxe Resort quick service eateries. Eating at Roaring Fork is OK if you are
staying there, but certainly not worth going out of your way. If you have time and the
grum-bellies can stand it, wait to eat breakfast at one of the parks, or eat dinner
before you leave the park.

Thanks Rusty Scupper! That is some great info. We are staying at WL in December for the first time and usually stay at POFQ. We almost always eat dinner at the parks or other resorts, but I was wondering how breakfast was at Roaring Fork.

Does Roaring Fork have oatmeal in the mornings?? If not, my fiance won't know what to do with himself. Thanks!

We've eaten at all of them and have enjoyed every meal.

Roaring Forks - great for quick CS meals as there is a good variety to choose from (IMO).

Whispering Canyon - good food and is also fun as the waiters/waitresses play funny antics with the guests.

Artist Point - very nice atmosphere and great food. We had both the filet and salmon and both were amazing.

. . . Does Roaring Fork have oatmeal in the mornings?? If not, my fiance won't know what to do with himself. Thanks!

1) I don't remember ala carte oatmeal.
2) But, it is possible sincemthey do have cereal, toast, etc.
3) Below is the published breakfast menu for Roaring Fork.

Assorted Muffins
Croissants
Assorted Bagels
Cinnamon Sticky Buns
Danish

Bananas Foster Waffles - Mickey Waffles with warm Bananas in a Buttered Rum-flavored Sauce, served with Bacon $7.79
Strawberry Waffles - Mickey Waffles with Fresh Strawberries and Whipped Cream, served with Bacon $7.79
Chocolate Lovers Waffles - Mickey Waffles with Chocolate Chips, Whipped Cream, and Chocolate Sauce, served with Bacon $7.79
Bounty Platter - with Scrambled Eggs, Pancakes, Potatoes, Bacon, Sausage, and a Biscuit $8.99
Breakfast Croissant - with Bacon, Egg, and Cheese, served with Potatoes $6.99
Pancakes with Bacon $5.99
Pancakes with Strawberry Syrup and Bacon $6.99
Garden Breakfast Flatbread with Seasonal Vegetables, Eggs, and Cheese $8.99

Mickey Check Meal - Kid's Cereal Breakfast Box with Kellogg's® Frosted Flakes® Cereal, Apple Slices,
Peanut Butter and a choice of a small Lowfat Milk or small Dasani® Bottled Water. Meets Disney Nutrition
Guidelines for Complete Meals without substitutions $5.99

Kids' Meals
Bananas Foster Waffles - Mickey Waffles with warm Bananas in a Buttered Rum-flavored Sauce, served with Bacon and Applesauce $4.99
Strawberry Waffles - Mickey Waffles with Fresh Strawberries and Whipped Cream, served with Bacon and Applesauce $4.99
Chocolate Lovers Waffles - Mickey Waffles with Chocolate Chips, Whipped Cream, and Chocolate Sauce, served with Bacon and Applesauce $4.99
Breakfast Platter - with Scrambled Eggs, Bacon, and Applesauce. includes choice of small Lowfat Milk or small Dasani® Water $4.99
Pancakes with Bacon and Applesauce, includes choice of small Lowfat Milk or small Dasani® Water $4.99

We stayed at WL last spring break and will be back again this April. Artist Pointe was lovely and one of our favorite meals. I had the fillet, my daughter had scallops, and I can't remember what my husband had but he must have liked it because he wants to make it our signature family dinner on our next trip. I liked the dining room because it felt less cramped than many DW restaurants and the service was great.

Roaring Forks gets rave reviews from our teenage daughter who liked the salads, panini sandwiches, and breakfast items. I enjoyed it for breakfast but after a week on site there was nothing I really wanted on the lunch and dinner menus. If you eat at resort counter service a lot you may be disappointed with the selection.

We did not eat at Whispering Canyon as I thought it was mostly family style and that type of meal does not appeal to us.

You should note that if you stay at WL you can take a boat to the Contemporary or FW and that expands your easy dining options. The boat and bus ride to MK are also very speedy. We also took an I expensive cab ride to The Grand Floridian for some spectacular meals.

Actually, there is no need to take a taxi to the GF. At least one of the WL buses shares with GF so you just hop on that bus and get off at the GF stop. Very quick and easy. Just ask which one stops at GF first, I don't remember which route does, but we used it frequently during our last visit there.

Just got back from WL over Christmas and we ate in all dining locations except the bar/lounge

Roaring Fork - Quick Service - basic breakfast, lunch and dinner options. Loved my burger. It is smaller compared to other resorts but has drink station and is right on your way out to boats to MK

Whispering Canyon - Table service
We ate here 3 times - breakfast, lunch and dinner. All-you-can-drink milkshakes YUMMY (part of dining plan)

They offer a family style platter (all you can eat) option for each meal. You get some choices at dinner time of what goes on it and they bring you more of what you ask for. A real meat and potatoes kind of place. I enjoyed my pork chop on a cheese grit base the first meal there - so good. For lunch I had huge burger with bacon and egg on it.

The thing about this place is the atmosphere - they are funny rude - throw napkin, bring out large refills and lets just say getting ketchup is a blast

oh yes I also had for lunch dessert the smores dessert - ice cream toasted marshmallows chocolate sauce etc.

Artist Point - fine dining 2 table service credits on dining plan
Beautiful meal and environment. I had the scallops my husband the steak. we ate here on Christmas and it was all wonderful.

We have stayed at the WL multiple times and have eaten at all the restaurants and quick service (Roaring Forks), as well as Club Level eatery...Artist Pointe is a favorite of ours, outstanding food and a must do regardless of what resort we stay. Whispering Canyon has been consistently good for breakfast and dinner, more family-oriented and good choices. Roaring Forks is a good option for quick service (liked it even better that the option at GF where we stayed in Nov)...lots of options and fresh food.

Hope this helps! Oh, and the Club level options were good as well...I'm not a big breakfast person, a bowl of cereal, banana and a great cup of coffee is all I need!

There is comfort and safety in numbers, so I will join the chorus with most of the previous posters. Overall, you won't have an issue finding a decent to very good meal at WL, and as a few mentioned, you have access to the CR (boat being the easiest), FW (walk the lovely nature trail), or bus/drive to other resorts such as the GF or Poly.

My particular take on each WL eatery:

Artist Point - as Scupper noted, they are one of the better signature restaurants on WDW property, in particular the buffalo, the salmon, the portobello mushroom soup, and the wine list. It's romantic, quiet, and usually easy to secure a reservation there.
Whispering Canyon - has many loyal followers and many detractors. I fall squarely in the latter group. I've eaten there three times and never had what I would qualify as a good meal. . .fair meal, yes. Good, no. The price is high for the quality of the food you get, and if although you may be expecting a rip-roaring good time, chances are just as good that you will get a server who is hurried.
Roaring Fork - is a solid QS spot. Though most of their offerings are standard fare, they're tasty enough. They do offer a few good sandwiches. Best of all, they have fresh, made-to-order Mickey waffles for breakfast which you can get doctored one of a few ways such as chocolate chip, bananas foster, or with strawberries and the platters include bacon or sausage. A kid's version has only one waffle, less meat, a fruit, and a milk, I believe.

Though not a part of WL, the breakfast buffet at FW is one of the better values on WDW property and is seems never to be crowded. It's an easy 15-minute walk along a paved bike path (or take the nature trail that follows the lake for the first third of the walk before hooking up with the bike path), and at $17.99 is a relative bargain if you're looking for a variety of breakfast foods.

FiggieFan said:
Does Roaring Fork have oatmeal in the mornings?? If not, my fiance won't know what to do with himself. Thanks!
I believe they do have oatmeal with toppings there. Further, so does Trail's End over at FW, the breakfast buffet I mentioned above.

Good luck with your decisions!

We stayed at WL for a quick stay in September.

Artist Point was incredible. We had eaten there 4 or 5 years ago and were not impressed. This time we were. Definitely a step up. We're going back in April. For something very specific, we had Keith as our server, and he was great with his service and recommendations.

Roaring Forks was "okay." The food we had there (late lunch) wasn't bad, but OMG was it slow. SSSSSLLLLLOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW!!!!!

Our one visit to Whispering Canyon on a prior trip for lunch was not good. But, as others have said, some people love it. It wasn't for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter