• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dine and Play Question

fyreworks

Mouseketeer
For those of you who have used Dine and Play during second seating, do the kids miss out on any "entertainment" in the dining rooms by leaving early or is it pretty much done by the time they leave? I'm particularly interested in the answer for AP, but I don't know what, if anything, goes on in the other MDRs.

The kids didn't miss out on anything on our cruises. They time it so you see the whole AP show. In general, the counselors came a few minutes too early for my kids. One of us would walk them down when they were ready and drop them off at the club. If you do that, order dessert before you leave and it will be waiting when you return.

Our grandson did not care about anything in the dining room, he just wants to get back to the club ASAP.

My son also didn't really care about much happening at dinner, except for at AP. It was almost 2 years ago so I don't remember if the counselors came afterwards, or if he just didn't go that night. Keep in mind that they don't have to go to D&P every night, so if the entertainment hasn't happened yet, the kids can choose to stay to enjoy it.

Mine was more interested in getting back to the Lab than anything else going on at dinner. LOL! And for once, I didn't mind. We all are on vacation and as long as we all regrouped at dinner and talked about our day and reconnected, it didn't bother me too much if he wanted to skip the AP show.

Depending on the age, kids clubs can be hit or miss so when mine finally started to enjoy it more and make friends, I was happy to see him happy.

Might I ask why they don't do Dine and Play for first seating? I have a feeling it has something to do with the shows and not wanting mass chaos with parents trying to get kids but I thought I'd ask if anyone knew for sure.

Might I ask why they don't do Dine and Play for first seating? I have a feeling it has something to do with the shows and not wanting mass chaos with parents trying to get kids but I thought I'd ask if anyone knew for sure.

While I don't think there is a specific reason, here are a few of my thoughts as to why:
Partly to what you said about the show.
There are a lot more kids at the early seating, meaning it would take more counsellors for dine and play to happen and get the kids safely to the club.
One side is usually in Open House during early seating and dinner is going on in the other side, so there aren't usually any big scheduled activities going on.
To link in both, the evening OH time also partly occurs so that a large number of YA CMs can have their dinner break, so to have more CMs for dine and play, it might result in OH times having to be extended, and the amount of OH time already seems to be a concern/downside for many

Ah. That makes sense. I was just curious. We would have gladly taken late seating but that's just too late for the kids on this trip.

Ah. That makes sense. I was just curious. We would have gladly taken late seating but that's just too late for the kids on this trip.

If I'm honest, dropping the kids off yourself is far quicker than dine and play (just a little annoying).
If the kids meet the Counselors right away then they're waiting in the restaurant for 15 minutes before they even start (slowly) heading up to the club.
I've had 'races' with parents before. They've left to drop off their kid when CM and are back and sitting down ready for the next course before dine and play are even ready to leave lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter