Digital Scrapping ~ Where to Start?

MiknMinMouse

DIS Veteran
I've really enjoyed reading the threads on Digital Scrapbooking but with all the information I've seen I'm totally clueless where to start. Can someone point me in the right direction? And for those of you who do this, have you totally given up regular scrapbooking? :scratchin :dancer:

I will never give up regular scrapbooking but I would like to do a bit of digital scrapbooking. I would like to so some slide shows on DVD and think that it might make them more interesting if I would do the photos in a bit of scrapbook format. I haven't got a clue as yet but I picked up a magazine today about digital scrapbooking. It's by Sample Scrapbooks. I thought I'd curl up tonight and read it

Chessie, what type of connection do you have? are you on comcast cable? If so they offer a nice free slide show program. it doesn't make DVD but VCD's that play on most PC. I make them all the time. Give them out as gifts for events or activities we do as groups.

I still have plain old dial up. I live too far out to get cable or DSL. I am patiently waiting though. Civilization is moving closer to me bit by bit.

I'd like to find out where to start also. I've looked and many digital layouts and thought I'd really like to start doing pages that way...but I don't have a clue where to begin. So I can't wait to hear what others have to say.

i'd also like to know! i need it in a "lameman's terms", if possible. i am so not "technical"...

but digital scrapbooking sounds very appealing to me, since it just seems like whatever scrap/stuff/papers/embellishments/etc. you need, it's just in your computer & you just click away, and voila!! of course, i could be wrong!! :flower:

do a search for digital scrapbooking and several sites should come up. On just about every site, there is a free download. Download it and open up Photoshop (or whatever you might have) and just start playing. I have dabbled a little bit into it, but not alot. One site that has some great monthly downloads is Shabby Princess . Her kits are to die for. Really, digital scrapbooking is just like regular scrapbooking, you are working in layers and you just keep adding more layers to your "page".

Heather

Here is the link to my pages at 2ps. I have a folder set up for my digital layouts. Like, I said, I have dabbled in it a little bit. Take a look at the digital gallery on 2ps and you will be amazed!!!!

Thanks for the Shabby Princess Site. I found on her FAQ page a question like mine, where to get started and she had a link posted. I'm headed there now :-)

I started off by downloading a free 30 day trial of Photoshop Elements from adobe.com. Then I headed straight to Shabby Princess (link in a previous post) and downloaded her free kits. You can spend hundreds of hours (well at least 30 days LOL!) playing with PSE and the free kits. Once you have the software and some kits, you're ready for the tutorials.

I very rarely paper scrap anymore - I absolutely love digital.

I downloaded a couple of tutorials from the mentioned sites and went to work with my JASC program. I quickly have come to the conclusion that for this and for me I have the wrong program. I've only used my program for basic stuff before this and didn't really think it was that terribly user friendly, the tutorials convinced me of this. I couldn't find any of the screens shown on the tutorials. I've decided I'm going to try Microsoft's Digital Image Suite. I did love the list of programs on scrapbookbytes.com and their ratings, although I think JASC should be rated as High on learning. ARGH. Typically I'm pretty good with new programs but not this one. SIGH. Anyway I did join one of the forums and will get started soon.

HP has an awesome online class going on right now. It goes until January 15th I think. I think there are 4 lessons up so far maybe 5. I got started after the beginning date. It's a free class and you work at your on pace. It has really helped clear up some questions I was having. It even teaches you how to make your own decorative papers and elements. Lots of fun!

47b5cc32b3127cce95b0341b1eb400000017108IZtGrNqyae

47b5cc32b3127cce95b034169f8900000017108IZtGrNqyae

47b5cc32b3127cce95b034389fa700000017108IZtGrNqyae

47b5cc32b3127cce95b034689ff700000017108IZtGrNqyae

47b5cc32b3127cce95b037745e4200000017108IZtGrNqyae

47b5cc32b3127cce95b03725df2300000017108IZtGrNqyae

47b5cc32b3127cce95b034be9f2100000017108IZtGrNqyae

47b5cc32b3127cce95b036a59f3b00000017108IZtGrNqyae

47b5cc32b3127cce95b037e45ed200000017108IZtGrNqyae

47b5cc32b3127cce95b03713df1500000017108IZtGrNqyae

You can see more of my digital pics in the sticky up top "Virtual Scrapbooks" POST NO. 30.

Those are gorgeous. That's one of the reasons I really want to try digital. Those are layouts that I personally could never do on paper but might just have a chance at with digital. Thanks for sharing.

As for the HP class is it at HP.com? I have an HP printer/copier/scanner which has a port through which I load my digital pictures. The software it came with lets me do a little editing of my pictures but not a lot.

Thanks MiknMinMouse! One thing I have to say for digital scrapping, once you know your program it is soooo much quicker than traditional scrapping. As I said, I still love the traditional way, but I'm trying to get this baby book done for my sister for Christmas, and I would never have completed it in time if I was doing a traditional scrapbook.

I think Photoshop is probably easier to learn than Jasc PSP, but I went with the program I had. It was horrible trying to learn it, I almost gave up, but I kept looking for online tutorials and just kept at it until I got it. I still have alot to learn as far as making my own elements, that's why I go with the kits for now, but the great thing is that they are reusable!

Good luck in your endeavour! :)

TeresaNJ said:
I think Photoshop is probably easier to learn than Jasc PSP, but I went with the program I had. It was horrible trying to learn it, I almost gave up, but I kept looking for online tutorials and just kept at it until I got it. I still have alot to learn as far as making my own elements, that's why I go with the kits for now, but the great thing is that they are reusable!
Good luck in your endeavour! :)

Thanks, I downloaded the Digital Image Suite from Microsoft and so far I think I'll love it. It's very user friendly. When you want to do something, you click on what you want to do and a sidebar pops up with instructions and tips. I LOVE that. I"m still having trouble with my JASC program it's so slooooowwwww too. I think I'm going for Microsoft although I plan on using the trial version for a bit longer to make sure.

MiknMinMouse said:
Thanks I just signed up for the December - January Class :-)

Me too :goodvibes What a great tip! Thanks mommie2angels. I see they have a CS2 class too - might have to give that one a go once I've finished the scrapping.

This should keep me out of mischief for a couple of weeks - then I can start scrapping my FTW photos :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter