Digital School Stinks for Elementary Kids

I've always dreaded my "baby" going to school and being away from me all day. He just started kindergarten, which here is supposed to be all day, 5 days per week. But the public schools are doing the hybrid model - kids with last names A-K go to school on Monday and Tuesday while the others log on from home. Everyone distance learns on Wednesday while the schools are cleaned, and then the kids with last names L-Z go to school on Thursday and Friday while the other cohort distance learns.

I hate it. At this age, he doesn't understand that even though he's physically at home, he's still "at school" and has work to do, that we don't have time to watch TV. The "specials" teachers (PE, music, art, technology) are remote only, so they send assignments - which basically means that my kindergartener has homework to do, that he doesn't want to do. And it seems like every time I get him to complete one assignment, 2 more pop up.

I don't fault the poor teacher who is actually in the classroom. She has her hands full, even with only 5 kids physically in the room. She has to constantly tell them to sit down, stop talking, put on their masks, put down the water bottle, we just went to the potty and now isn't the time, if you have to go that badly you can go, your mask needs to go over your nose, put the crayons away because it's time for reading now, put your mask back on...

And then there are the parents. Those of us who are at home are supposed to be muted when we're not talking, but kids at this age play with the iPad and unmute themselves often. I cannot get over the amount of parents that have their kids in a room with the TV blaring, who take/make loud phone calls in the vicinity, who sit there with crying siblings nearby, who pour cereal into a glass or ceramic bowl right next to the iPad (it's louder than you think)...we have had numerous moments when we literally could not hear the teacher giving the assignments because of the background noise.

(Please don't get me wrong about the phone calls. I know a lot of you are working and supervising your kids at the same time. I have yet to actually hear a phone call about business, though...every single loud phone call that we've heard have been VERY personal in nature. And some parents also need to watch their language.)

Never thought I'd want my son to go full time, but I think it would be for the best at this point. He's not learning squat right now (and yet, this week and next week, they're having math and reading assessment tests...)

Dd13 is really struggling with online learning. I’m hoping her school opens soon.

DD17 goes back in person tomorrow. So happy for her!

I can not stress enough how much I loathe teaching online. It is so stressful. The kids are so overwhelmed and I have a NYS Regents in June to get kids ready for. This is a Regents exam that will keep kids from graduating on time if they don't pass it. I hate being home all day. I would willingly wear a hazmat suit whatever to get back in class. Our district is the only one locally that is completely online. The other districts started 2 weeks ago and have had some cases. Our district currently has 4 and the health department quarantined a class out of precaution but this is the pits. My senior in high School is not having any fun and he at least gets to go into the building 2 times a week. My sophomore in college is a hot mess. She is living on campus but all the restrictions have her anxiety at an all time high. I hate this so much.

I hope not. If that's the case, we will be enrolling in Private School, where the virus miraculously has no effect.

Oh, it has an effect. We have one kid in private. They are not immune. Parents are testing positive, kids are sick and at home waiting on results, etc. We chose online with the private just for stability. Glad we did. The parents who chose in person are getting whiplash from things changing.

Day 6 this morning with my K grade grandson at home online. This age is DIFFICULT> It was my worst fear before school started and we got ONE week in person before his classroom had to be home and online. My grandson needs involvement and attention. Sitting at a desk or a table all day is not great. Already this morning, he's bored because he's not being engaged enough. They go back THURS.

I have watched the struggle with my grandkids. The oldest grandson 16 is Autistic and in Learning Support, he is not handling this well at all. The first day he just cried and felt "stupid".
The oldest granddaughter 16 is having a few issues but mostly because she is in a school for the arts and her art projects are difficult to do online and 3 kids using the internet slows it down considerably..
Grandson 14 is autistic comorbid with ADHD. He needs to be in a class with help. He is not handling it at all well and he struggles with reading. He is just starting 9th grade but reads on a 7th grade level so reading projects are really difficult for him, he needs his support class.
Grandsons 13, 6 and 5 were all put in Catholic School. It was my daughters only choice as she just started OR training as a nurse and her schedule requires her to be at work from 7 to 3:30/4 and her husband works from 6 AM to 5 PM. I was willing to help but with a kindergarten and 1st grade student it would not have been easy. I do get to go over early and get them out to school though. Thankfully her MIL also helps with that. There was also an issue with grandson 13's teacher getting very political and parents were NOT allowed to listen in on any of the classes. My daughter did not take that well so Catholic school it was.

The one handling it the best is granddaughter 12. She is OCD about her schoolwork and has been a straight A student for 3 years now. If she does it 3 more years I owe her a Disney trip.

I cannot wait for some normalcy. If the Catholic schools can handle this I don't see why the public schools can't do anything.

My daughter (high school, not elementary) stayed home on Friday with a fever. So glad those masks work...
So she has a positive COVID test? because you can still ill from other things-some, like influenza which is respiratory spread, will be mitigated by masking. Some, like strep which is contact spread, will not, but would make me question her hand hygiene. Fever in and of its self doesn't tell you much......

Well my grandson has been in school since August 17 in a private school. Now his whole class is at home for 10 school days Because a student tested positive. It’s not magic. We still need to be very cautious.
Hopefully they retest and everything will be fine. I'll defer further statement but you can read into my stance on this. ;-)
Oh, it has an effect. We have one kid in private. They are not immune. Parents are testing positive, kids are sick and at home waiting on results, etc. We chose online with the private just for stability. Glad we did. The parents who chose in person are getting whiplash from things changing.
Not the case here

Hugs to you OP. I can only imagine how difficult this is for you and your family and many many others.

It is interesting schools that shut down to go virtual and those that don't. It almost seems like this Virus has boundaries!!! I have said in other threads my grand daughter has been in the public school system near Indianapolis since the last week in July and all has been well. My other two grand kids have been at their private preschool/daycare in a Detroit suburb since early June with no incidences either. Knock on wood!!

Hang in there everyone. :hug:

So she has a positive COVID test? because you can still ill from other things-some, like influenza which is respiratory spread, will be mitigated by masking. Some, like strep which is contact spread, will not, but would make me question her hand hygiene. Fever in and of its self doesn't tell you much......

I think the issue is that if your child has a covid symptom, like a fever, it's almost like you have to prove it's not covid. I'm guessing her daughter will have to get a covid test and wait for the results to come back negative before returning to school. Like you said a fever can be 100 different things, virus, cold, strep, sinus infection, flu etc.

I have a friend whose 5 yr old son started kindergarten this fall. Just 2 weeks ago, they went back in person. But for the first several weeks of the school year, it was all online. She said that it was impossible. Her son had to attend 3 30-minute Zoom meetings a day and then the school had HW assignments to complete in between each Zoom meeting.

Her son is a VERY outgoing and social kid and this staying at home and not seeing anybody was really getting him down.

Going back to the daily routine, you can see, of course, that even if you're a telecommuter like my friend is, it was pretty impossible to be able to focus or attend any of your OWN work meetings/conference calls in the midst of all of that. Why? Because the kid is 5 and he needs help navigating through the technology. Because he's 5 and needs help figuring out the instructions for the HW assignments.

She had her MIL come over for 3 hr a day to help direct him, but that didn't work out very well because in the 5 yr old's mind, Grandma time is fun time, not school time...school time happens at school, not at home.

He's doing MUCH better now that they have the option for in-person.

We fortunately had the choice of in-person or virtual for my 2nd grader. The spring was awful for her and I have never seen her so unhappy before. In-person was a no-brainer for us. We are thankful it is available.

It really does suck. I hate it. BUT, our school started back up in person last week and it was GLORIOUS! My kids were SO happy! They started Thursday. One autistic son (14) is on a life skills path (for moderate to severe kids) so he was eligible for full time, 5 days a week in person, the only difference being they release earlier rather than having lunch on campus, so he eats when he gets home at 1:30. My other son is also autistic, but higher functioning academically, so he only got the option of hybrid, which is 2 days a week in person, 2 days online doing independent work. Mondays are a no instruction day, dedicated to office hours instead. It's been a great few days.

Our district went above and beyond in the preparations, and I am fully confident that they will be able to stay in person long term without major outbreaks, at least at the High School level. It helps that we live in an area with a majority Asian population who is ALL about the mask wearing, even before the pandemic. So, everyone around here is being very compliant. Our city has a case rate per 100k right around 1, so no major spread happening here.

OP, hope your kids are able to return in person soon!

Last edited:
Our family opted for our 4th, 5th, and 8th graders to complete school virtually the first 9 weeks of the semester. It has been an ordeal as I work full time from home. All three have had grades suffer. IF the school had required masks from the beginning to be worn then I would have sent my kids back in class. But they didn't decide to require masks We're actually a week before school started, and we were not allowed to change our enrollment status. BUT, they will be returning after fall break as masks continue to be required.

Our 10th grader is in a hybrid program. Our district shares a high school with the next town over. The student population has been split in half attend T/H, the other half W/F, everyone is remote Monday. So far they've had the girls' volleyball team quarantine due to a member of the opposite team testing positive, and a student the first week of school who tested positive (on our opposite school days) that sent classmates quarantining. Hybrid learning for the high school students is a PITA and parents and students are complaining about the volume of assignments. The principal even had to send out a letter to faculty and families expressing that there needs to be limits placed on the amount of work assigned because so many teachers were assigning multiple hours of work each day for just their class.

We're actually fortunate that our schools have had very few confirmed cases. Many schools in the surrounding communities have already gone to virtual learning for 2-3 weeks a few times since school started. So just because you're in class rather than online doesn't mean the virus won't make an appearance.

I think the issue is that if your child has a covid symptom, like a fever, it's almost like you have to prove it's not covid. I'm guessing her daughter will have to get a covid test and wait for the results to come back negative before returning to school. Like you said a fever can be 100 different things, virus, cold, strep, sinus infection, flu etc.
Nope, small school in the middle of nowhere, not the big city. They have no requirements at all. No Covid tests to return.

I get it. This is a lousy situation. But...
These kids would face almost no risk returning to school, it's time to just make it happen.
I mean... has the remote learning decision ever really been presented as necessary because of the children's health directly?

The kids will be fine. The worse they'll likely to suffer in an outbreak is the loss of a parent or grandparent.

I do seem to remember most of my teachers being squarely within the target demographic for covid dead. And the lunchroom and playground staff. That might be why they prefer our kids stay home.

our 2nd grader started online even though her private school started inperson 9 weeks ago. We switched her back to in person last week. She was doing die academically but we felt she was mssing a lot with the special classes like art, music, Spanish. She also was missing out on group work and just being in a class setting. We had a one hour live meeting each day and about 30 min recorded lessons, and then the rest was on our own to complete the weekly work.

Anyway, she is so much happier at school. Even the simple things like recess and eating lunch (which they do outside) make a huge difference. It was not a decision we took lightly since we are a higher risk household. The mask took some getting used to wearing all day, but she knows that what she needs to do if she wants to go. We have asked her to wear it at recess even though that they don’t have to wear it. Her teacher requires masks and shields during any circle time or group work. she has barely had any interaction with any kids for over 6 months before we started back (only child), and it was absolutely affecting her mental and emotional health.

Of course, the week we send her back the school, reported their first 2 cases in the middle school wing. Hopefully it doesn’t move over to elementary...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter