Digital Rider Switch Question

cisco911

Mouseketeer
Hello,
We will be going down in the summer with a 7 year old and 2 year old. Obviously the 2 year old won't be tall enough for certain rides and I know disney offers rider switch. I've been trying to figure out how the new digital system works vs the paper one. Where do you ask for the rider switch? Is it at the beginning of the qeue?

Also, some people are saying to just book a fast pass for one of us and they will issue a switch for the second adult to ride after. I'm not trying to scam the system and get extra fast passes, but if they give us a rider switch fast pass for my wife and she has a fast pass already, will she have two fast passes for that attraction after???

Also, does the process differ for regular qeue vs fastpass? I don't know if I'm over thinking this but it is confusing the heck out of me. Thank you for the help:)

There will be a CM outside of every line (before you enter the line). Approach them and let them know you'd like to use Rider swap. They will need to see the too short child (and some may even measure them to ensure they are too short). They will ask who is riding in the second group and you can have up to 3 people. They will need to scan the magic bands for those people to add the rider swap passes so make sure everyone is there when you ask for the rider swap. Then, the first group rides (entering the FP line if they have FP or the standby line if they don't) while whoever stays back with the little one does whatever they want outside the line (go on another ride, get a snack, etc). When the first group is done riding, you meet up and those with the rider swap added will enter the FP line and ride. The only difference in rider swap with standby vs FP is the line that the first group of riders enters. The second group enters the FP line.

In regards to whether those riding second will need a FP if the first group does, that is a heavily discussed topic on here. I suggest taking a look at the numerous rider swap threads on the first page or two of this (Families) board where you will find lots of discussions about this issue. Many people have reported that group 2 did not need FP for rider swap if Group 1 had them, others choose to get FP for all anyway.

I forgot to mention, another change from paper to digital is that each person can only have one rider swap at a time, so no more saving them up to use later. Also, there is supposed to be a 1 hr time limit in which to use the rider swap directly after the first group rides, though there have been varying reports on how that time limit is enforced (some have reported having less than an hour while others have said they were valid for the whole day). Either way, the time limit should be explained by the CM issuing the rider swap or you can ask them. It *should* also be listed on MDE after the rider swap has been added, but again, some people have reported no end time being listed. The easiest way to avoid any issues with the time limit is just to plan on group 2 riding as soon as group 1 is done.

According to Disney the people in the second group do not need fast passes.
"Since the Rider Switch entitlement gives access to the FastPass+ line, the second party does not need to have a FastPass+ booked to bypass the Standby line."

So lets say that Mom and 7yr old ride first - they would need FPs to use the FP line. Then Dad and 7yr old can ride use the FP line with the Ride Switch - so they don't need a FP.

According to Disney the people in the second group do not need fast passes.
"Since the Rider Switch entitlement gives access to the FastPass+ line, the second party does not need to have a FastPass+ booked to bypass the Standby line."

So lets say that Mom and 7yr old ride first - they would need FPs to use the FP line. Then Dad and 7yr old can ride use the FP line with the Ride Switch - so they don't need a FP.

where on the Disney site did you see this?

Those Mom's panel answers are wrong a lot of the time.
Just get everyone the FP and you won't have to worry about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter