Digital rider swap - The hour long window?

Choose any of the following you've experienced in your use of digital rider swap

• I was denied use of rider swap shortly after the "one hour window" closed (within an hour)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I was denied use of rider swap a longer time after the "one hour window" closed (after an hour)

• I was denied use of rider swap a day or more after I received it

• I was allowed use of rider swap shortly after the "one hour window" closed (within an hour)

• I was allowed use of rider swap a day or more after I received it

• I checked one of the "allowed" options, but it seemed like the CM was making an exception

• Total voters

rexmism

Registered
I've heard a lot about the hypothetical hour long window you get for the newer digital rider swap passes, and I'd like to get to the bottom of it. I've seen screen shots of these passes, and it only has a start time, no end time, so I don't see how they can be enforcing an hour long window. Unless the CMs tell people every single time, there's no way to know that. So I'd love to hear from anyone who's had experience, especially more recently. Has anyone actually been denied? Thanks to all who can vote and share their experience! Please share dates and any details you can in comments!

We have been using rider swaps all week. When added to our card we sometimes have been told when they start, but usually not, and never told when they end. Looking in the app it just says a start time, we never used them after the hour, but assume it would work.

You can only hold one rider swap at a time though....we we usually used it right away so we could get another one.

We used rider swap many times during our August trip. It was inconsistent and that’s putting it nicely. At many rides we did not have an hour window. For example at Soarin it was 30 minutes. At Slinky Dog it was 30 minutes. At FoP it was an hour. At Splash Mountain it was 45 minutes. Basically it seemed to be at the discretion of the CM manning the rider swap tablet. It was fine because we planned on going back-to-back but we didn’t get an hour at any attraction except FoP.

We used rider swap many times during our August trip. It was inconsistent and that’s putting it nicely. At many rides we did not have an hour window. For example at Soarin it was 30 minutes. At Slinky Dog it was 30 minutes. At FoP it was an hour. At Splash Mountain it was 45 minutes. Basically it seemed to be at the discretion of the CM manning the rider swap tablet. It was fine because we planned on going back-to-back but we didn’t get an hour at any attraction except FoP.
Are you referring to the amount of time you're supposed to be able to use the rider swap? It sounds more like the amount of time you have to wait until you can use it. It often takes 20 minutes just to wait for and ride Soarin with a fastpass so I can't imagine that's all the time they'd give you.

Are you referring to the amount of time you're supposed to be able to use the rider swap? It sounds more like the amount of time you have to wait until you can use it. It often takes 20 minutes just to wait for and ride Soarin with a fastpass so I can't imagine that's all the time they'd give you.
No, the amount of time we had to use it. They were available immediately once they scanned our magic bands. At Soarin’ in particular the CM said “they should be back in 20 minutes so I’ll give you 30 just to be safe.” They were in fact back in about 20 minutes so I didn’t have to find out what would have happened if they weren’t.

ETA: in almost every case where we used rider swap we also had Fast Passes. If we hadn’t then we may have been given more time to use the rider swap. For example if the wait for something is 30 minutes and the first part of your party is going in the standby line, I’m guessing they give you at least that plus the time it actually takes to ride and a small buffer which could bring it to an hour.

What if Group A is DH and DD going through FP+ line), and Group B is Me and DD, and I also have a FP+ for the ride, can I still get a rider switch?

Even if all riders in both groups need a FP, theoretically Rider Swap still has a purpose in that it allows someone (older sibling, for example) to enter the FastPass line twice, once with Parent A and once with Parent B. Not sure how this works in reality though.

Even if all riders in both groups need a FP, theoretically Rider Swap still has a purpose in that it allows someone (older sibling, for example) to enter the FastPass line twice, once with Parent A and once with Parent B. Not sure how this works in reality though.

True. For us that’s not beneficial though. We have 5 kids, 1 too small ride. So letting just one kid get an extra ride would cause all kinds of uprisings.

If everyone needs a FP, there is no reason for Rider Swap to exist.

Rider swap gives you time for both groups to ride. Otherwise, your FP window could end before group 2 even enters the queue.

Certain rides take quite a bit of time to get through, even with a FP. Rider swap ensures that group 2 can ride even if the FP window is expired by the time group 1 is done. This was very helpful on a couple occasions on our last visit.

Rider swap also gives you extra time, allowing both parties ample time to get through the ride.

Exactly.

Last edited:
Yes. But
Rider swap gives you time for both groups to ride. Otherwise, your FP window could end before group 2 even enters the queue.

Certain rides take quite a bit of time to get through, even with a FP. Rider swap ensures that group 2 can ride even if the FP window is expired by the time group 1 is done. This was very helpful on a couple occasions on our last visit.

Exactly.
yes.... but, I could just schedule group 1 and group 2 with staggered FP times and accomplish the same. But true that no one could get a second ride.

Yes. But

yes.... but, I could just schedule group 1 and group 2 with staggered FP times and accomplish the same. But true that no one could get a second ride.

We are a party of 6, with 1 baby too small to ride, so this all sounds like a mess. I think we will just make group A and group B because RS only allows 3 to go through. Which is not fair at all. I had planned on getting FPs for kids and hubs and letting them go through, then I get a RS and ride with the kids. But it sounds like that will not work, even if everyone has a FP.

OR- if I get a FP for all 5 of us, can 3 kids ride twice: once with dad on FP and once with mom on RS?

This is one of those cases where I prefer the paper RS with an expiration date and not a time.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter