Digital Camera 101

IvyandLace

Certified pixie dust user
Okay, so someone had posted "Camcorder 101" so I just stole that idea for my post...hope they don't mind! ;)

Anyway, my husband and I are shopping for a digital camera and are a bit overwhelmed at the moment. We don't want to spend over $400.00 and want something that is small enough to carry around. We're not sure about the megapixels we need. I do know that we want a lithium battery and the option of using memory cards so that we don't have to download after an hour or so of taking pics.

If anyone has any help to give, I will gladly take it!

Thanks so much! I love these boards.

IVY :p

I can tell you from my personal experiance that "Kodak" makes some excellent digital camera's. I purchased a "DX3600" over a year ago. Since then, on my recommendation... 3 friends/family have also purchased Kodak camera's. They are the same size/weight as a standard film camera. Of all of the camera's that I looked at (I shopped for over a month - both on the internet, and in stores), Kodak made cameras that were very the easiest to learn and use. They come with software that makes transfer of pictures from the camera to the computer a "one click" operation. The thing I like most is that they (the Kodak camera's) take regular "AA" batteries (I would strongly recommend the purchas of the "NiMH RE-CHARGABLE" batteries.... as regular alkalines will only give you about 30 minutes of continuious use). This makes it easy to keep extra batteries with you instead of only having 1 battery with you (the re-chargable lithum batteries that most digital camera's come with cost as much as $50.00 each for spares).

Some of the camera's also feature a "movie" mode - where you can take (short and fairly low quality) movies with your camera. The best part is the price. You can get a 2.2 megapixel camera for around $250.00. Throw in a 128 MegaByte memory card (which will take about 900-web-quality, or 200-8"x10" print quality images) for about $70.00, and about $40.00 for the NiMH re-chargable batteries and charger (which would give you enough batteries for a full day of photo's). and you still have some of the $400 left over for a nice camera bag and some photo quality print paper (which the good stuff will run you about $30.00 for 50 sheets).

You should be able to pick up the Kodak camera's at the local Wal-Mart, Best-Buy, or Circut City. Or, you can CHECK OUT THE KODAK WEBSITE! (NOTE ABOUT THE KODAK WEBSITE.... the page I'm listing shows the "reconditioned" DX3600's for $239.99... you should be able to get a new one for less than $20.00 more at Best Buy).

ps..... if you go with the Kodak.... don't bother with the "easy dock". All you have to do to transfer the images to the computer is plug the camera to a usb cable and turn the camera on..... the software starts automatically.

Get as much optical zoom and mega pixels as you can afford. Digital zoom can be done on your computer with the program so don't worry about it.

I've been putting off going digital myself, mainly because my $300 35mm SLR has all the functions I want other than immediate gratification. :-)

Which camera to buy is difficult to advise on without knowing exactly what you want this thing to do. My guess is you want a simple point and shoot snapshot camera, but I could be wrong.

Assuming I'm not, I'd agree with Mudd....get the most megapixels and optical zoom you can afford, but my ordering would be 1) optical zoom then 2) megapixels. Why? Most prints made aren't very large.... a 2 megapixel camera should do 4x6 beautifully, and 5x7 well, and 8x10 acceptably. Leaning toward a larger zoom means you're less likely to need to blow up smaller portions of the image to get a nice cropping of your subject.

The larger zooms do mean larger cameras though...which may not be a bad thing since tiny cameras are extremely convenient to carry, but very easy to shake when using.

In terms of battery....I'd look for one which takes AA's and buy a good NiMH rechargable system. Any savings over film would be quickly lost when you have to buy lots of lithium batteries. Some cameras even come with recharging capabilities.

In terms of media... Compact Flash seems to be a little less expensive than Smart Media....but the difference isn't too great so I'd not let that be a deciding factor.

For more 'specific' information on different cameras, do a search for 'camera reviews'.

FWIW, Ritz camera has a 6 month no interest deal, and I think bestbuy.com has 1 year no interest on digital cameras over $250 or something like that.

Oh....if you want an off the hip, totally uninformed about your needs recommendation, I'd go for the Kodak 3900. It has a decent range of features for a snapshot type camera. Its being replaced by the 4900 and you should find deals on it, some of which might include the docking station as part of the package. The docking station also acts as a recharger for the batteries included in the docking station package.

Hope this helps,
Joe (who needs $2000 to buy the camera he wants. :p)

I would not recommend any pixels less than 2.1. I have a friend with a 1.3 megapixel camera and the pictures are not so great. Get as many megapixels as you can afford. Check out Ritzauctions on Ebay for some great deals! Get as many pixels as you can afford and a good zoom is also nice.

We have the Kodak DX4900 and love it! (it's 4.0 Mega Pixels) with the 128MB card at 1MP it will hold 375 images, 2.2MP it will hold 185 images, 3.1MP it will hold 132 images and at 4.0 it holds 199 (because it's using the JPG compression it can hold more at the higher resolution than the medium resolution) It was under $300.

Get a camera that uses Compact Flash and NOT Smart Media. Compact Flash chips are much bigger ( in terms of memory ). And they are more widely supported ( palms, cameras, MP3, etc. ). Smart Media is limited in the size of memory because of it's "physical" size.

I own a Canon S30. It is a 3.2 megapixel. And I think I wouldn't need any more megapixels unless I was shooting for poster size prints. The S30 is rated #1 on CNET. It's still a little pricey at > $400, but it is a great camera.

I can get 75 HI-RES JPG's on one 128MEG card with about 2/3 battery use. I will go to WDW with 2x128MEG's and 3xbatteries. I will NOT run outta film or juice! ;)

My $.02 ....

FYI.....

I posted above about the "Kodak DX3600" that I own, and also about it using "Compact Flash". For those of you with "Best Buy" stores in your area...

This week (starting today - Sunday) in their ad, they have a 128MB "Compact Flash" card on sale for $59.99. If you are taking "High resolution" photo's (the 2.2 megapixel type), this card alone will hold about 150 photo's (equivelant of 4-6 rolls of film - depending on if you use 24 or 36 exposure). If you take "low resolution" photo's (the type that would work great on the web, or for smaller printed photo's - such as regular photograph quality - it will hold over 800 images..... the equivelant of 23-30 rolls of film.... all for under $60.00...

Just thought I'd let everyone know...

think about what your needs are and find the camera for them. your milage may vary, as they say

Think about where you will use it most.

if carrying is an issue look to the tiny cameras cannon has some nice ones and the olympus d40 is a nice 4 megapix in the tiny catagory. minolta has an interesting tiny camera- fast start up lens is fully contained in the camera - very cool - but I have read some revies that would make me look hard at the picture quality.

there are tons of very nice 3x 2 - 5 mege pixel point and shoots.

If you are a fan of telephoto there are less choices but a few out there to look at.

see these sites for reviews:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html
http://dcresource.com/index.shtml

some cameras take movies and thst is cool but there are a few things to look at if you want movies, 1) does it record sound - strangly many will make a movie but w/o sound - hey the talkies came out a long time ago. 2)how long will it take a move. many are about 15 seconds. (movies eat up the memory card) 3) how do you plan on editing the movies?

I think the type of memory you use is much less important than finding a camera that does what you want the way you want.

The only suggestion I have is check the sale papers for memory. Recently here about once a month you can 256MB cards both types for $100-$125. That seems to be a good price.

For what camera I think you need to decide what you want or may want to do with the pics. Then start to decide.

DH bought the Nikon CoolPix 2500 a few weeks before our last trip to WDW. We were able to get over 400 pics on the memory card (192 MB that DH bought separately) before needing to download to the laptop, and the battery lasted a few days between recharges. It's 2.0 mega pixel and hs 3x optical zoom. The pics came out great!!! I was sceptical when he first brought it home but absolutely love this camera. I wish I could tell you how much it cost, but I really don't know. DH has a "short" memory when it comes to remembering how much he pays for things. :rolleyes: Another thing I like about this camera is how small and lightweitht it is. It easily fits in a pocket, although I often wear it around my neck on the long strap it comes with. Product Info

We're looking into getting a digital camera now also, but I'm not good with all this stuff.
1. Are there different ways the pictures are stored? Are they on the memory sticks, and can you buy extras in case you run out of room?
2. What is the absolute easiest way to transfer the photos from the camera to the computer to print, and which camera makes this the easiest?
3. Are the pictures stored anywhere other than on your computer? So once you transfer them, you just reuse the memory sticks?
4. Anyone know anything about the cameras that have little cds? Are they larger cameras or more difficult.

I want to get the easiest camera with the best features and not too large. Any ideas? What about some of the Sony cameras? Thanks!

I'll tackle the last question first. As far as the camera's with the CD's. When I was looking, the cheapest one I could find was around $900.00. If you went with a regular digital that uses "memory cards" (compact flash, memory stick, smartmedia,etc.), you could purchase a "top of the line" fully loaded camera for $500.00. So, I would say skip the CD camera's (unless you have money to burn). (NOTE... it has been over a year since I bought my camera and I'm sure prices have come down some).

As far as other digital camera's, a majority of the camera's use a form of "digital storage" to store pictures. Some of the common one's are "compact flash", sony's "memory stick", (I think it's called...) "Smart Media", and some even use standard 3 1/2" floppy discs. With all of these camera's the photo's can be transferred to the computer either by "card reader" (something like a..... small toaster - sorry only example I could think of) where the card is inserted and the photo's downloaded. Or, many camera's come with a "USB" cable which connects directly to your computer. There is then software on the computer that assists you in downloading the pictures.

A couple of the types of memory allow you to load your photo's directly to a printer, and print them out. I would NOT recommend this. First off... unless you're a professional photographer, you will probably want to edit some of your photo's, and decide which to print. The cost of good - high quality - photographic paper is around $.70 a sheet, so you don't want to waste it with bad pictures.

My recommendation is a simple camera with USB connection (above I mentioned that I use a Kodak DX3600 - and supplied a link to the kodak site, and information on the camera... it is perfect for what you are asking for), and a removable storage system (the Kodak uses "compact flash"). With the Kodak (and I'm assuming camera's with similar features are similar in function), you just plug in the USB cable, and turn the camera on. The software in the computer starts automatically and asks "do you want to download the photo's". It's so easy that even my mother can do it (well.... she still calls me when she's downloading... but she's getting the hang of it).

After downloading the photo's to the computer, you just erase the photo's stored on the memory card and you're ready to start again.

The photo's are then stored on your computer, but I usually burn a CD with a copy of the photo's..... just in case... my computer crashes.

My recommendation to anyone looking for a good - easy to use - easy to learn - and high quality digital camera is the Kodak DX line (I think they're now up to the DX4900). I don't work for Kodak or even have Kodak stock....... but I can tell you from experience that they're the best.

One note..... you also need to decide which sort of power options you want. Some camera's come with a built in battery. For most folks, that is plenty of power. But if you're going to be out all day snapping photo's you may need a back up. With the Kodak, it uses standard "AA" batteries (although I recommend buying NMHi re-chargable batteries). It will go through a pair of "standard" AA Alakaline's in about 30 minutes of continuious use. If you buy the "AA Lithium" disposables.... you will stretch the time to a couple of hours. I personally have 8 sets (16 batteries) of the NMHi's. I keep 4 sets re-charging, and carry 4 sets with me. That gives me practically a whole day's worth of snapping. The NMHi's are fairly expensive (a 4 pack is around $15.00), but since they're re-chargable..... they'll last for years.

Good luck and happy snapping.

PS... If you want to see the quality of some of the photo's I took with my Kodak, I have a page on my website that has some pics taken a couple months ago..
Here it is MY "Dog 'N Jog" page! !

Originally posted by RRBB
DH bought the Nikon CoolPix 2500 a few weeks before our last trip to WDW. We were able to get over 400 pics on the memory card (192 MB that DH bought separately) before needing to download to the laptop, and the battery lasted a few days between recharges. It's 2.0 mega pixel and hs 3x optical zoom. The pics came out great!!! I was sceptical when he first brought it home but absolutely love this camera. I wish I could tell you how much it cost, but I really don't know. DH has a "short" memory when it comes to remembering how much he pays for things. :rolleyes: Another thing I like about this camera is how small and lightweitht it is. It easily fits in a pocket, although I often wear it around my neck on the long strap it comes with. Product Info

We bought this camera for our trip at the beginning of August. I must say it was well worth what I paid. I took some great shots with it. I printed them on my own printer without any problems. I 'm still printing pictures 2 weeks after our trip. I purchased a 128mb card. I only took about 80 pictures, but now I wish I had done more. The greatest thing about digital cameras is the ability to view your picture. If you didn't like it, you can dump it and try another shot without wasted film.

I recently bought a digital camera. I researched for about 2 months and went back and forth on which camera to get. Finally decided on a Canon A40. It is rated very highly. It uses AA batteries and Compactflash. The camera is around $300 but add another $150 for bigger compactflash cards (got 128 cards at Sams Club for $50 each), rechargeable batteries/charger and USB reader (allows you to read the card without using the camera). It has point and shoot capabilities as well as some manual capabilities. I wanted a camera I could grow into a little. It is a 2 megapixel. I had wanted more megapixels but $$ was a factor! I used the above websites to reasearch as well as

www.megapixel.net
www.dpreview.com

I also bought a couple of magazines at the bookstore. The review sites are good and there are some forums too. Good luck!!

Ok, now you guys got me motivated to start researching cameras. So, I've narrowed it down (at the moment anyway) to 2 cameras - the Sony DSC-P9 and the Kodak DX4900. Now I need to know opinions on either if anyone has any. Also, on to other stuff.
1. What is a good printer to be able to print 4x6 pictures (I still like having my photo albums)
2. To keep the digital photos on a cd, as somone suggested, what other equipment do I need? How much would that cost, and what are some recommendations?

Thanks for all your help!

Originally posted by Minnie824
Ok, now you guys got me motivated to start researching cameras. So, I've narrowed it down (at the moment anyway) to 2 cameras - the Sony DSC-P9 and the Kodak DX4900. Now I need to know opinions on either if anyone has any. Also, on to other stuff.

Since I first posted to this thread, I finally gave into an impulse buy and bought the Kodak 4900 to replace our snapshot camera...so far, it seems to be ok for the 100 or so photo's I've taken. Print quality on small prints seems good, but I've yet to test an 8x10. So far the only issue I have is the camera sometimes thinks the batteries are running low...just turn it off and back on and it's happy again. I'm not real keen on the 2x zoom, but it's replacing our old APS camera which did't offer many features either.

1. What is a good printer to be able to print 4x6 pictures (I still like having my photo albums)

A number of companies make 'photo' printers, but epson seems to have the most press about their 'photo' printers. One thing to check before you buy is the archival-ness of the prints. Ink jets used to be horrendously bad for longevity...they we're meant for business type printing, not photo archiving. They've gotten generally better as the artistic world started demanding better print life. I think the longest life I've seen is 25 years, but that may be dated information.

If you have a really important photo you need printed, you should consider having it done through a photo lab/store. Given the cost of consumables for a printer, the price isn't necessarily too much greater, and as long as the print at the lab is done on traditional silver-halide photo paper (esp. fuji crystal archive), the print life should be much, much longer.

I'll be testing Sam's on-line photo place....can't beat the price of 24 cents per 4x6 print or something like 80 cents for a 5x7. Of course, there's no immediate gratification. :)

2. To keep the digital photos on a cd, as somone suggested, what other equipment do I need? How much would that cost, and what are some recommendations?
Thanks for all your help!

You need a CD-R or CD-RW burner. You may or may not have this, but if you don't, they run anywhere from $50.00 up to multiple hundreds, and come in internal ATAPI, internal SCSI, external SCSI, external USB, external Firewire, and they probably even still make parallel port model (assuming you're like most people who just buy something in the Wintel world). Beyond that, there's the cost of the cd burning software (often included with a CD burner, but sometimes not), cd-r/cd-rw's themselves (anywhere from 30 cents/cd on up), cd labels if you're so inclined to print them. But for the basic burning of a CD, you need a burner and a cd-r(w).

Hope this helps,
-Joe

Here's what I know:

1) For standard 4X6, 5X7, and 8X10, you want at least a 2.2 megapixel camera. If you only print 3X5, you could use a 1.3+ megapixel camera.

2)Kodak makes excellent cameras. Anything at or above the DX3500 level works great.

3)If you ever use zoom, be sure to buy a camera with as much "OPTICAL ZOOM" as possible, as opposed to digital zoom. You see, optical zoom enlarges an image by physically moving the lens, just as you would on a 35mm. Digital zoom makes an image appear closer by cropping off the edges and enlarging the middle. The only problem with this is that it distorts quality, so your best bet is obviously optical. Try to shoot for 2X or more optical zoom.

4)For memory, a camera that uses CompactFlash cards is much better than one that uses SmartMedia.

5)For batteries, I find that the best are the Rayovac NiMH. You can buy a complete set with two batteries and a one-hour charger at Walgreens for $35, and believe me, it is well worth it. I would steer clear of camera manufacturer batteries(Sony, Kodak, etc.) You might also want to pick up an extra set of those Rayovacs.

Well, that's about it. Hope it helps!

I too have a Kodak DX3600 that I took on my last disney trip and took 900+ photos with it. It was fantastic for the $ I spent and all of my 4x6 prints came out just fine on the "normal" resolution setting.

I purchase all of my memory at newegg.com as they have some of the lowest prices in stock.

I also recently purchased the telephoto and wide angle lenses for the DX3600 (on clearance at the Kodak.com site), but haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

I am leaving for WDW in 2 days and would be happy to post pics when I got back.

My only complaint about this camera is that it takes a couple of seconds between pictures, so for shooting lots of pictures in a short period of tine (ie a parade) it's not ideal.

Other than that I love my camera!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter