Digital camcorder under $300?

janni518

DIS Veteran
Any recommendations for a digital camcorder? I'd like to keep it under $300 if possible. Is that even feasible? I haven't really looked at them yet. Someone told me you can get them for under $100 now but I have to assume it'd be a piece of youknowwhat.

Any guidance would be very much appreciated. I'm pretty good at tracking down deals but first I need to know what it is I'm looking for.

Canon has what I researched to be a good one in that range. The 100 model. (RS, I think) In anycase, it was $269 on Amazon last I looked. It is a flash memory. Had good reviews.

Flash is a memory card, like you use in your camera. No moving parts in the camera. Hard drive is like your computer. A little more sensitive to bumps or drops, but generally has more built in memory than you can get with a card. Some models that probably start a little above the $300 range combine both formats. www.crutchfield.com has a lot of information about selection and formats.

Thanks. I've been thinking about getting dh one maybe for next Christmas. We stopped using our old one. It was a wedding gift in 1995 and it's huge and heavy; not very practical for WDW or on DCL ships. Now they're so cute and small. :goodvibes

Best Buy has Sony Handycam DCR-SR45 30GB Camcorder for $269.99 with free shipping. This deal is going on now. We have the Sony handycam 610 and it is great.

Thanks, that is one of the few brands I've heard of. Definitely checking that one out. Thanks!

Not sure how good it is.

Panasonic SDR-S7K Digital Camcorder (Black) for $199.99 + Free Shipping (List Price $299.99)

Search for SKU: 8732605

Consumer Reports Rankings

Mini DV, the 2 models above are number 1 and 2. Then
Sony DCR-HC62
Panasonic PV-GS90
JVC GR-D870

DVD Models
Canon DC330
Panasonic VDR-D50
Samsung SC-DX103

Flash Memory Models
Canon FS11
Panasonic SDR-S7
Sanyo Xacti VPC-CG9
JVC GZ-MS100

Combination DVD Flash
Sony DCR-DVD910
Sony DCR-DVD610

Hard Dish models
JVC GZ-MG730
Panasonic SDR-H60
JVC GZ-MG365

Not sure how good it is.

Panasonic SDR-S7K Digital Camcorder (Black) for $199.99 + Free Shipping (List Price $299.99)

Search for SKU: 8732605

That is a good camera and a good price!

There are a lot of reviews of cameras on Amazon. I used that a lot in research.

That is a good camera and a good price!

There are a lot of reviews of cameras on Amazon. I used that a lot in research.

The only problem I have with Amazon it’s like asking everyone if they prefer cold (snow) or hot (beach) style weather. And they are all right, based on the preferences they have. Believe me, I bought things based on others reviews and I wasn’t happy.

My place for Camcorder reviews is this one here:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/

and for Digital Cameras:

www.dpreview.com

www.dcresource.com

But, if you can’t overcome that fact that everything they say is like looking at things under a huge magnifying glass, you’re better off sticking with Amazon reviews. Personally, things may have the highest reviews scores out there and I still won’t buy it if it doesn’t “feel” good in my hand when I’m holding it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter